Thread: Making Salmon Roe bait

Default Making Salmon Roe bait

Not sure where I should post this so gonna start here. I collected roe last nite and its in my fridge atm. I want to cure it to use as bait.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this in a economical and easy way?

You can just sprinkle 20 mule team borax on it and be done, or some people have some pretty extensive secret formulas that they use. I usually buy a can of pro-cure or something like that and follow their directions on the side of the can. I like to keep mine in a plastic mayonnaise jar to keep from crushing them
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Procure is easy way to cure, works fine too. Read directions and use the jar method. You don't need to sprinkle a lot of cure on, just enough to turn the eggs Use rubber gloves and rub the cure into the skeins.

I agree with Moosehead. Buy a commercial made cure (Pro Cure, Pro Glow, Nate's, etc.) and follow the instructions. The only thing I would say is make sure you cure your eggs right away. If you wonder why some egg fisherman catch more fish than other egg fisherman most likely it's how they took care of their eggs before they cured them. I personally will not cure eggs that have been dead for more than six hours. Bleeding your salmon after catching it is another key to having good eggs. Good luck.

Default The Best

Nate's is the best... hands down. A lot of guides use it because of the results...

Steer clear of the home-made recipes over the commercial ones; for the most part home cures are not as productive as the commercial ones. ProCure and Nate's Bait are the top two for a good reason. As previously mentioned; follow the directions, don't just sprinkle it on and wait; the directions are there for a good reason.

Good luck.

(PS, my fishing buddy and I used it on the Little Su opening day for bait and the results were instant, compared to most others around us which took longer to get their fish).
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I tried that Balls O' Fire Fire Cure stuff on some pink salmon roe this year and wasn't happy with the results. I'll go back to using Pro Cure, even though I think part of my problem with the Fire Cure was that I just didn't understand the directions.

(I gave some of my cured eggs to my neighbor and he caught tons of trout with it in a little lake out near Glennallen, so maybe it's not so bad after all. I just don't think the eggs feel cured for some reason. Maybe I'm used to how they feel with Pro Cure.)

Thumbs up

I use Pro-Cure's "Last Supper Egg Cure." Partly because their tag line reads, "The last thing they're gonna eat before you bonk them on the head..." (I got a good laugh when I saw that!) And partly because its some of the best egg cure I've ever used! However, I do add one other ingredient to it....a little powdered krill. I can honestly say that I've caught more fish WITH the scent of krill, than without.