Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Rifle

Default Wolf Rifle

Was starting to hijack the tundra rifle thread and figured I'd start a new one.

I've been thinking about getting a new Alaska Predator Rifle and was considering something larger than the 22-250. I've never hunted wolves and have only had a crack at them on a moose hunt last year (didn't get a shot). I was thinking of something along the lines of a 243 since wolves are much bigger than the coyotes I'm used to shooting. Will the 22-250 perform adequately on a wolf? If you were starting from scratch would you choose the 243, a 22-250, or something else? I've also toyed with the idea of an AR in 243, but am concerned about the performance of a semi auto in the cold weather.

What would you use for a gun that will be used for calling and toting on a snowmachine to shoot everything from fox to wolf with a emphasis on the wolf?

Thanks

I would go with the 22-250. With a good bullet it will perfoem well. I would go with a solid and not varmit round. I think it would be a wolf killer. I know of alot of guys that use a 220 swift for wolfs and I personaly think the 22-250 will out perform the 220 swift.

.458 Winchester Magnum.......might stop a CHARGING Wolf......There is one behind everybush, and they will get you........

I use a .243 Win. for everything, well pretty much everything. The reason I use a .243 Win. is because I am a sissy. If I can master a way to mount the AR-15 (6.8 SPC) on the SWT that will be fun.

An AR-15/M4 variant semi-auto would be the best bet.

I've been trying real hard to find a good reason to get a DPMS AR in 243. Maybe I can talk my wife into one for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    I've been trying real hard to find a good reason to get a DPMS AR in 243. Maybe I can talk my wife into one for Christmas.
    OR a Remington Model 750 or Model 7400 in .243 Win. or in .270 Win.

A 22-250 with either solids or varmint rounds will have no trouble dropping a wolf.

Supporting Member

Default Wolf rifle

Your choice could boil down to where you primarily hunt. If wind is an issue, I would favor the .243 over the .22-250 for bucking the wind. if the areas you hunt don't have a wind issue, go with the flatter shooting, long range .22-250. If all factors are equal and I wanted an "off the shelf" caliber, then I would pick the .243 as my "one predator gun". Just my opinion!

In Rick Kinmon's book Hunting the Hunters, his favorite all around caliber was the 6PPC, with the 243 being his next favorite. The 243 with handloaded FMJ rounds keeping the velocity down under 3000fps sounded like it would do everything and still keep Fox fur damage to a minimum. I picked up a 243 Tikka last year and will be giving it a shot to see how it does. If you decide to go with the AR platform, you shouldn't have any issues in the cold as long as you make certain to strip all the grease out of it and run a drylube in it. Many guys love the AR's for the cold weather, and they're simple to field strip if needed. Go with the 243 and you should be all set, especially if you handload.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I am a serious predator hunter down here in the land of the liberal. (soon to change)

Any how I have been looking seriously at upgrading my custom built AR15 in .223 to the Olympic Arms AR15 in .243 wssm. It can be loaded with a 55 g. bullet up to 4100 fps or down to a 100 g. bullet at 2800 fps.

I shoot a lot of dogs and cats down here and I figured that this round would extend my range and my bag with the ability to shoot deer.

What do you experienced Alaskans think? Would this be a good set up for my predator rifle choice or should I just stay with my .223?

Default 243 wssm

klickitat,
    I've seriously thought about getting the .243 wssm too, it looks like it'd be one great wolf caliber, especially with the follow up shots. If you get one, let me know how it works out for you and what your loads are like on pelts.

Default Ar15

I've shot both the 243 WSSM and 25 WSSM from the AR platform. They both way outperform the 223 on varmints. The 25 WSSM is my choice on heavier varmints and whitetails with an AR. The 25 WSSM performs a very wide role in the hunting field and is also a joy to shoot. Accuracy from the rifles I shot were sub MOA.
    The only draw back is that brass for the WSSM can be expensive and is harder to find than 223.
    If your looking for/need a heavier caliber varmint rifle my vote is for the 25 WSSM.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I've shot both the 243 WSSM and 25 WSSM from the AR platform. They both way outperform the 223 on varmints. The 25 WSSM is my choice on heavier varmints and whitetails with an AR. The 25 WSSM performs a very wide role in the hunting field and is also a joy to shoot. Accuracy from the rifles I shot were sub MOA.
    The only draw back is that brass for the WSSM can be expensive and is harder to find than 223.
    If your looking for/need a heavier caliber varmint rifle my vote is for the 25 WSSM.
    I am not arguing with you at all. I am just curious as to why you went with a bigger bullet over velocity? Is the .25wssm capable of taking caribou where the .243wssm is not? For me the flat shooting trajectory was what I wanted and the .243 was capable of taking deer.

I guess what I want to know is should I go with the .25wssm for my choice with the knowledge that I making the move north?

Default 25wssm

I haven't heard much about the 25WSSM on the AR platform. Where/who did you get your upper and magazines from? That sure does sound like an interesting caliber, I'll have to look into it more, thanks for that information.

Western,
    Wolf hunters out here in the bush mostly use Ruger Mini 14s chambered for 223 Remington, main reason is the rifles are affordable, ammo is cheap, and the local store always stocks FMJs. I know the old Mini-14 is a lil boring compared to the ARs these days. But back when the Mulchatna Caribou herd moved thru our hunting area, wolves were right there with them every step of the way. Hunters here did very good with their Mini-14s, wolf hunting was a daily activity during the winter months, 8 years straight. Prices weren't that great but it paid for gas, oil and ammo. Some hunters used to see packs that easily numbered in the 20s. One thing about wolf hunting out here on the coast, as soon as they hear you they start running straight for the hills, pretty darn sly too. Tracking them is a blast, sometimes they double back on your back trail or go high and just hide out of sight. Keep your eyes out for ravens too, usually they hover over carcasses, sometimes you may be able to come upon a wolf that was feeding on a fresh kill. When they have a full belly they don't go far. I shot a wolf with my ruger 10/22, it is all about getting in range and having good shot placement. Good luck with your selection.

Fast twist 6BR
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Thumbs up 338 win mag works great

I shot a 110# black female wolf last week with my 338. Worked perfect. I snuck up on it while it was slipping out from gnawing on a 7 day old moose carcass. Hit it straight on from 35 yrds right in the adams apple. Didn't pass through (which kind of surprised me), but glad it didn't. Less holes in the hide. Dropped it like a hot rock, not even a twitch. There is no perfect gun for wolves. Use what ya got, if you don't think it's big enough or fast enough, well I don't know what to tell ya. There are a TON of recipes out there that'll do the job just fine. I think my 270 or 22-250 at that distance would have easily done more damage than my 338 because they're so much faster. My .02. Good luck...

So where's the pictures of this black wolf?!

Thumbs up 6.8 spc

I went with a AR in 6.8 SPC big enough for Black Bear and Caribou as well as wolf.

I bought an AR in 223. For two reasons. I'll likely shoot more fox and coyote with it than wolves and the FMJ at modest velocity should limit hide damage. If I go out specifically targeting wolves I can load up some more velocity and use a soft point bullet. Either way it should do OK. At first I thought the 223 might be light for wolves, but I've seen deer shot with them and they died just fine. I must be reading to many hunting magazines where you need a 300 Weatherby to shoot a Montana mule deer because of the wind, range, body size etc. Wish I would have read these same magazines while growing up in Montana so I wouldn't have killed all those mule deer with 22-250's, 243s, and the mighty 270 (which seemed like a big gun back then).

The second reason is that I'm somewhat paranoid about Obama going after assault rifles and I wanted to make sure and have at least one in the safe.

Thanks for all the great input. I'm still thinking about an AR in 243 WSSM or a 25 WSSM, but right now I'll have give the little AR a try and see how it does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast