Thread: Hand-held VHF recommendation?

Default Hand-held VHF recommendation?

Can anyone help me by providing either positive or negative opinions of their hand-held VHF radio?

I need to buy a new one. My requirements are: 1) waterproof; 2) removable antenna, so I can substitute an extendable aluminum antenna when appropriate; 3) Hi-Lo wattage selector - I find that much of the time, I can easily communicate transmitting at only 1 watt, thus saving on battery time; 4) relatively compact size

Thanks

Default I have the same question

and am looking for one. I haven't started research yet...

I have a pair of older Icom radios (M-1 model I think?) that fit the bill - the best thing about them is the fact you can use either their rechargeable battery pack *or* 6 AA batteries. They were a combo deal from Cabelas where the pair of radios came in an orange Pelican case with pre-cut foam, charger/etc - great set up. Dunno if they still package them this way or not any longer...

I have both Standard-Horizons, and Icoms.

I prefer Icoms simply for the ability to turn off the beeping noise made everytime you push a button. Couldn't turn it off on the Standards.

Gets pretty annoying after awhile.

We have a Icom M72 that we are very happy with.
    6 watts of power and submersible.
    Have reach over 20 miles when we get high enough.
    Has a long battery life.

The other new icom that floats,6watts of power and a has a lithium battery is nice but does not have as long of battery life.

You cannot go wrong with anything Icom.

Default Icom

I have an Icom also and it works great. No problems at all. Have also used them for a long time in the military.

Default Where to buy

Where can you find the Icom's in anchorage? Marita S&S has the Horizon Standard HK850S for $250.00 - - is the DSC worth the added costs - what does it really do for you?

I have bought/used many handhelds for my towboat business... I recomend the Icom IC-M72. Good battery life and the speaker is loud.

Default Cabelas....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Where can you find the Icom's in anchorage? Marita S&S has the Horizon Standard HK850S for $250.00 - - is the DSC worth the added costs - what does it really do for you?
    I got my ICOM at Cabelas......couldnt find it here in Anchorage...

I vote for ICOMS as well, but I bought mine in Sitka. Not sure where to purchase in Anchorage. I don't remember if BJ's has radios or not but might be worth a try.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Default B&J's does not

I visited them yesterday and they do not. AK mining and dive has 2 radios - the "floating" one Horizon Standard - the guy at the counter told me that his sunk to the bottom faster than a rock.

I ended up getting the Cobra at sporties for a buck 9....that is a buck fitty less than the sinking model and akminedive. The cobra is submerssible to 1 meter and does not have the dsc....about the same other than that.

West marine might have some in ANC.
    Consumer electronics in Seattle is a good place to order.

Icom does have the lithium battery that floats.

Default Went with Icom IC-M72

In the end, I went with an Icom IC-M72. Several things came together to sway my decision.

First, Pilebuck (see his post above) recommends the M72. Heís a professional who has owned and used lots of hand-held radios. When a guy like that offers advice, I listen carefully. Second, the M72 can transmit at 6 watts; most hand-helds transmit at a max of 5 or less. Third, it has a battery charge level indicator - I never thought about that feature before, and I like the idea of it. Fourth, itís within my budget and has all the other features I looked for: waterproof; compact; accepts an extendable aluminum antenna; has high capacity lithium battery etc. And finally, there was a brand-new one available on ebay for $159, including shipping.

A close competitor to the M72 was the Standard HX750S. One nice feature about the Standard is that it comes with both 100v AC and 12v DC (cigarette lighter) chargers.

But what finally brought me over to the Icom was an aspect mentioned on this forum by BrianW (above) and elaborated on by a buddy of mine: the Standard radio uses push-buttons for on/off and volume control, and the buttons issue a loud beep when the radio is powered on, and also with each adjustment in volume. This contrasts with the Icom, where the volume is controlled with a twist knob and there is no noise when you change volume. Because I will often use this radio hunting, I donít want any beeping noise.

Thanks for everyoneís input. I appreciate it all.

Default hunting

You aren't supposed to use the radio "for" hunting (not saying that is what you meant).

I ended up with the Cobra el cheapo model. Only 5 watts, but has 1,3, & 5 selectable. 120vac and 12dc charger, battery level indicator, waterproof to 1 Meter, and beeps when you push the button(s)...but was 109$ at sporties. I guess that I figure most of the reason I bought the radio is in case someone needs to save my arse. In that case - I don't care how loud the beep is.

I have heard that the Icom is one of the best handhelds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You aren't supposed to use the radio "for" hunting (not saying that is what you meant).
    I'm sure he meant when hunting from a boat, you don't want your radio buttons beeping at you, when your turning it off prior to getting out of the boat and onto the shore, which is of course the legal place from which to shoot.

Default West Marine

Just got a Icom M34 based on reviews on this forum. I believe it was $188 and my wife also got the 3 year warranty for $23. Going to Valdez this weekend until the 31st.