Thread: So Moose Archery Season opens tomorrow...

Default So Moose Archery Season opens tomorrow...

I have a few thoughts I wanted opinions on.
    Archery only opens tomorrow, the 10th. Yet, we have the same reg's for antler size that normal Moose season has.
    Is it just me, or is it impossible to find a Bull that has a 50" spread already? Isn't it much too early in the year yet for the antler's to be fully grown? Or three brow tines?
    Other than going after a spike/fork, it just seems to me to be an exercise in futility looking for a legal bull this early.

Thoughts?

A bulls antlers will be fully grown by the last week of the month. All of the tines will be developing by now, so if it doesn't have three now, it more than likely won't by the end of the month. I'm not sure how much more width they'll gain in three weeks, but I know I wouldn't pass up a spike/fork or 3 brow bull waiting for a big boy.

I've seen 2 in the last week that are probably 35-40 inches wide with 3 brow tines per side, so there are a few out there.
    Paul

Cool Yes yes

hehehe...saw one 2nd week of july that was 50in in full velvet. Too bad I will not be able to make the archery season due to the fact that my masters project (with moose) is in full swing.

Hunt safe!

Trout--

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Hey Trout, I take GPS coordinents via PM
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    I have a few thoughts I wanted opinions on.
    Archery only opens tomorrow, the 10th. Yet, we have the same reg's for antler size that normal Moose season has.
    Is it just me, or is it impossible to find a Bull that has a 50" spread already? Isn't it much too early in the year yet for the antler's to be fully grown? Or three brow tines?
    Other than going after a spike/fork, it just seems to me to be an exercise in futility looking for a legal bull this early.

Thoughts?
    I've got 3 forks horns within a quarter mile from the house! Too bad I don't have a bow certificate... Might have to break down and get one just for that reason.

The pic of these bulls were taken on August 8th of this year. I know two of the three were more than legal on brow tines and the one on the left was probably over 50". So they are out there. Just gotta find them.

Thumbs up

Amazing. All 3 still have dewlaps. Must be global warming!

Nice picture. Thanks for sharing.

Taylor

-[]------->

Default AK antler growth rate

A healthy stock AK moose grows 6" per day until the antler growth cycle stops and they harden and velvet is ready to be shed. I saw four mature spruce between 6-18 inches being raked hard in the last week.

Default not too worried...

Last season I raked in quite a few bulls during archery- just couldn't close the deal on any. Two years ago I harvested a 3 by 2 that may have become a 3x3 by rifle season, if he had any more growth in him: the third point was only 1/2 inch tall so he still made the fork requirement. And today... no worries! AKlanche, you can tell me where those bulls were- I'm tagged out and no threat to you
    Attached Images Attached Images