Thread: .410 ?

Question .410 ?

I am thinking about picking up a .410 for the grandkids to use on grouse. It will most likely be a single shot and I will probably have to shorten the stock. I thought about trying the old Snake Charmer I carry on the boat. Any suggestions? The oldest is 7.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default New England Fireamrs

I bought a New England Firearms "Pardner" 410 single shot years ago for my boys. I had to shorten the stock two inches as well. They had a blast with that thing. My kids were all small for their age groups. If your grandkids are bigger seven year olds, you may consider the Stouger 20ga youth model over and unders. They come with a youth stock and shorter barrels. I bought one a couple years ago when my youngest son was 10, it fit him great and he prefers it over the NEF 410.

There's a combo single shot gun made by Rossi I think that has a 410 barrel and a 22 barrel and comes with a youth stock. The snake charmers stock is so short I don't think even a 7 year old would get a good fit with it and could lead to some poorly learned shooting habits. Get a gun that fits. How many times do you get a chance to teach your Grandkids to shoot properly? My Grandkids live in Utah and I only hope to be able to teach them the right way.

Default Hmmm...

I don't know if Stouger offers the youth model in a 410 or maybe a 28, but if they did, that would be a great starter gun.

Smile Stoeger Condor Youth

Just googled STOEGER youth model condors. They do make a 410 over and under. It weighs 5.5 pounds, is 36 1/2 inches long, with 22 inch barrels, and a 13 inch length of pull on the youth stock ( compared to the 14 1/2 inch on the adult version). MSRP is $399

The 20ga I mentioned in a previous thread was purchased at Mt View Sorts in Anchorage. They carry teh Stoeger line and special ordered mine for me.

My son shoots a H&R "Tamer" .410 and has no problems with the stock LOP. Weight is more of an issue as they're kinda hefty for their size.

The stainless 22/410 combo is the way to go. I shortened the stock and added a lot of weight to it to suck up the recoil. I have 3 boys 7 to 11 and they all love shooting it now. It was really lite and to long in the stock before and had a sharp recoil. I added the weight by cutting up some of the pencil fishing weights and epoxying it into the stock. It made a huge difference.

ATI makes an AR type adjustable stock for the H&R and Rossi that is neat as heck. I bought a old H&R in 22Horrnet then cut the barrel to 16 1/4" and added the ATI stock and forearm with a 3-9 scope to make a very handy varmit rig.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I am thinking about picking up a .410 for the grandkids to use on grouse. It will most likely be a single shot and I will probably have to shorten the stock. I thought about trying the old Snake Charmer I carry on the boat. Any suggestions? The oldest is 7.
    That's what I did with my kids, and now my grandkids.

One suggestion: Before you shorten the stock, drill two 1/4" holes from the butt toward the action, deep enough to reach beyond the cut. Save the original butt plate and butt section, and use whatever for a butt plate on the shortened stock for now. Howcum?

Kids grow. When it's time for them to have a longer stock, you've already go the guide holes for using a couple of piece of 1/4" dowel to install as guides for reconnecting. It won't be a perfect fit due to the curf thickness, but it certainly eases the job of "restocking" as kids grow up.

Thumbs up Thanks Brown Bear...

I like the old gun smithing tip and will follow your advice. I know the gun will be a single shot. I am headed to Anchorage in an hour and will be searching the shops for a single shot .410.

Build a stock for the snake charmer. My great uncle built a nice stock for my snake charmer out of a piece of birch desk top. I can send a picture if you want to see the results.
    Justin

Default thats an idea...

I should try that.

I have an old .410 pump that I bought for my kids...who have graduated to 12 & 20g. I don't have any info on it right now, but PM me if you're interested....