Thread: 44 lever guns

Default 44 lever guns

For the same money which is the better buy, a 1894 Marlin or a Ruger 96. I am going to buy one or the other but need a little help deciding!

Thanks EKC

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default 1894 Marlin vs ruger 96

Since you asked,

I've been looking at picking up a 44 or 454 lever gun as well.

From the little I have compared the 1894 Marlin and Ruger 96 both in 44, they are both within an inch in length of each other, and comparable in weight.

The 1894 marlin has a traditional lever action look to it and a higher capacity for cartridges. (10 vs 4)

If you are looking for a high capacity traditional looking lever gun the marlin 1894 would get the nod.

If the 96 follows with the rest of Rugers products, it will probbaly handle the higher pressures of handloads better. And personally, I feel it looks better scoped than a traditional lever gun does.

So if you favor a traditional looking high capacity iron sighted weapon, I'd recommend the Marlin. If you want a very strong scoped rifle, go ruger.

Ruger show that they quit makeing the 96 in 2007. The Marlins have trouble shooting the heavier bullets(300gr and up)

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44...................and I love it. Feeds all ammo perfectly including the heavy hard cast (I load 300 grain lasercast), the lever revolution stuff and .44 special with 1" groups. It's easier to carry than a shotgun and it shoots the same ammo as my pistol. If you get one of these add a peep sight, I've found it greatly improved my accuracy.

Feeding is not the problem but the rifleing has given some accuracy problems with heavy bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Feeding is not the problem but the rifleing has given some accuracy problems with heavy bullets
    Not in mine it doesn't, and I shoot hot and heavy hand loads out of it.

240 grain ammo is what I plan to shoot so I'm good all the way around in that regard.

When they are side by side I like the Marlin, and thats what I am going to get. Not saying anything is wrong with the Ruger, but I just seem to like the marlin better.

Have you made your decision yet?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    When they are side by side I like the Marlin, and thats what I am going to get. Not saying anything is wrong with the Ruger, but I just seem to like the marlin better.

Have you made your decision yet?
    Yeah Schmidty Dog, I bought a Ruger on gunbroker late this afternoon. It was a real clean one and I thought I was gonna get it bought pretty cheap but someone else wanted it too. They sandbagged until the auction was about up and then we ran the price up some. I ended up paying $550+ shipping.

I had an 1894 in 44 for years and loved it, it never gave me an ounce of trouble either. I killed a bunch Missouri whitetails with that little Marlin over the years. A little while back I forgot and left it behind the seat for a few days without locking the doors and it wandered off or some such thing.

I recently bought one of the Ruger 96's in 22 mag to use when calling coyotes next winter(I usually chase or track the coyotes so calling will be somewhat new to me). I figured a matched pair would look good in the gun cabinet. The Ruger integral scope mounting option figured into it as well as my eyes ain't getting no younger.

You can see my new gun at gunbroker if you enter Ruger 96 44 mag into the search criteria and then tab to auctions closed in the last 24 hours.

Schmidty Dog , go ahead and get a 1894...ya can't go wrong with one of them!

Smile Marlin...

Get the Marlin.

I am going to get the Marlin. I'll let you guys know how it shoots!

If I can find the right deal on a Marlin in 41 mag then I'll have one of those also. I been looking for a while and they are pricey little buggers1

I got the Ruger 96 last week and it looks as if it has never been fired.

I took it to the range this afternoon and was tickled pink with the results. I shot several 3 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards using iron sights. I know some of you guys can do better than that with iron sights but thats right fine shooting for me. It also did a lot for my confidence in that regard. Yes siree bob I'd say minute of whitetail at any any range one should dare to plug one with the little bugger (<150 yards)!!

What bullets were you useing.I couldn't have done any better at 100yards

Hornady 240 gr XTP's /24 grains of LIL'gun!