Thread: A quick question about bait for valdez silvers

Default A quick question about bait for valdez silvers

hey guys I was wondering if I can use Salmon Roe in valdez at Allison point? and if so Has anyone used it in the past with any success? thank you.

Default Not row, but...

Check out this thread started by Coho slayer, Great info! Maybe you can try this method out.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=59257

Good luck!
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Sure, you can use it, though you would likely do better with herring.

When I lived there and spin-casted for silvers, #6 Vibrax in green or blue did very well on the SLOW retrieve, or mooching with herring or herring from a bobber.

If the fish were deep, we trolled a rig I made up and slayed them that way.

If the fish are in heavy and shore fishing is hot, the wife and I favor the Vibrax.

Default Ah yes

Thank you for the advice I have been following coho slayer's thread for quite some time and i do believe i will try that when i go to valdez it sounds like it may be a great technique...And if that doesnt work Vibrax spinners always are a good standby. Thanks again.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Default Very Hot Lure For Silvers

If you have never tried a Mister Twister "TOP PROP" (Sz 0) you are missing out on a real treat. I troll them attached to a herring hookup - about three feet behind a flasher with a small chunk of herring. Yesterday was interesting - the location we were fishing everone was trying to catch fish by mooching - I was trolling by them and picking up fish right beside them when no one else was. I seen that happen several times with this lure.
    I pick them up at B&J's

GOOD LUCK
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

I just bought some Sabiki rigs for catching herring. I'm going to go to Whittier and test them out in the next couple of days. I'm really hoping to get some live bait under a bobber to see how that does in Valdez. I figured I'd practice in Whittier first, since I've never fished for herring before....lol.

Default Hook size

What size hooks are you all using on your mooching? I am new to Valdez silver fishing and trying to learn as much as I can before we had out.
    AKShawn

Default A quick question about bait for valdez silvers

Since selling my offshore boat due to expense still crying about that I am trying some fishing off the beach. Hoping for a red, shark, whatever will bite. I would like some pointers on what type of bait, rig, techniques, etc... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKShawn View Post
    What size hooks are you all using on your mooching? I am new to Valdez silver fishing and trying to learn as much as I can before we had out.
    You can't really go wrong with 3/0 or 4/0. Personally I prefer Gamakatsu hooks because they are really, really sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by skolapper View Post
    Since selling my offshore boat due to expense still crying about that I am trying some fishing off the beach. Hoping for a red, shark, whatever will bite. I would like some pointers on what type of bait, rig, techniques, etc... Thanks
    Go here for tips/techniques. Start at post 1 and read. There are a lot of good ideas in there that should help you get started.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=59257&page=2