Thread: Kelvin Jacket, Brooks Range jacket or Montbell?

Default Kelvin Jacket, Brooks Range jacket or Montbell?

which jacket should i go with? i need a good insulation layer. anyone know the weight of the kelvin and how well it packs? i know the montbell is ultra light and packable, but is it as warm as the other two? i dunno... help! i basically want the warmest for the weight and space. thanks!

The brooks range weighs next to nothing and packs into an XS stuff sack. The pants are the same and fit in a S stuff sack. If I can remember I'll weigh the Kelvin and brooks range today to compare. I'll also see what the Kelvin packs into. Memory don't fail me now!!! I'll keep you posted on my experiment.

Brett

Thanks a lot Brett! good lookin out bro! lemme know what you find out! man, i cant wait to get back from Korea and hit Barneys up! haha

Default Mont Bell

I had this same problem...then a friend of mine bought the ultra light Mont Bell Jacket and was very impressed with the warmth to weight ratio. Also with the durability. I was so impressed I bought one and the pants too. Just used it the other day during a test run at Angel Rocks and all I can say is that the jacket and pants will be in my pack every time I go out from now on.

They both pack down to nothing and I am not sure of the weight, but they are very light
    Last edited by Sua Sponte 96; 08-09-2009 at 13:17. Reason: Info

Quote Originally Posted by Browningguy9 View Post
    Thanks a lot Brett! good lookin out bro! lemme know what you find out! man, i cant wait to get back from Korea and hit Barneys up! haha
    Was busy all day and only remembered to do it once. Of course I was helping a customer at the time. I'll be back in tomorrow, so I'll give it a try.

Brett

.....and I suck again!!! I even remembered twice today, but was busy both times!!! There's always tomorrow!

I received a message from a source who will remain anonymous asking about the Brooks Range pant. I thought I'd post my reply as it may be of interest to others.

Brett

Does the BR jacket have a hood?

Yes but it doesn't come with it. It's an extra ~$50-60.

What kind of insulation is used in it?

Premaloft. It is a very light weight synthetic that maintains its loft when wet and therefore remains warm. Premaloft is very light weight and compressable!

What kind of shell?

I don't remember off the top of my head. It is thicker/tougher than some other comparable coats I have compared it to (Mountain Hardware Compressor & Sitka Kelvin). It also has reenforced elbows/forearms and shoulders on the coat and butt and knees on the pant.

Is there some way I could see a pic of this jacket?

I can take my camera to work tomorrow. I just have to remember.

How warm is it?

Very! Light weight, highly compressable, reasonably water resistant, and reasonably wind proof! It will reduce your # of clothing items and overall clothing weight. It removes the need for many mid layers and most outer layers.

How much does is cost?

Coat $269, Optional Hood +$50-60, Pant $220

Would be great if I could see it on the website.

Tell me about it!!!!

In my oppinion the Sitka Kelvin is the closest of the Sitka line to the Brooks Range, but I do not feel they are completely comparable. For starters I can wear a large BR with plenty of room. The Kelvin I need a XL. The Brooks Range is a full cut coat where as the Kelvin is a fitted shorter cut coat. Because the BR is a full size coat it will not ride up exposing your back when glassing. The Kelvin will as will our Super Cub which IS comparable to the Kelvin. The BR is a furnace. Considerably warmer than the Kelvin. That said the BR fits in an XS stuff sack. The Kelvin is SLIGHTLY smaller and will fit in an XS and maybe even XXS stuff sack. Unfortunately we don't have XXS stuff sacks in stock to try. I will compare weights of the L BR and XL Kelvin as that's what fits me. The Kelvin is 1lbs. 6.8oz. The BR is 1lbs. 11.6 oz. The Kelvin isn't reenforced anywhere. The BR is reenforced in the shoulders, elbows, and forearms. The BR pant is reenforced in the butt, knees, and shins. The outer fabric of the BR is thicker/tougher than the Kelvin. All in all the BR is a better outer insulated layer far and away in my oppinion!!!! The Kelvin goes for $200. The BR goes for $269. The Mountain Hardware Compressor is another coat like the Kelvin that we carry that is comparable to the BR coat......sort of comparable that is!!!! The BR is far and away the best of the three!!! Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with the montbell, so I can not speak intellegently as to which is better. Some might like the camo on the Kelvin as opposed to the BR's green. Come on!!! You can't stalk animals in outer insulated layers!!!!! And if it's cold enough to warrant doing so you should have winter camo on anyways because there's snow on the ground!!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Brett

PS. I forgot the mention that the BR is 500 weight Premaloft which is the highest level. Kind of like 800 fill down is the best down.

I looked on Montbell's website. There's no way the UL Jacket is any where as warm as the BR and I would venture to guess the Kelvin is a fair bit warmer as well. The UL Parka however looks reasonably warm. I still have my doubts that it's as warm as the BR. I couldn't really guess as to how they'd fair compared to the Kelvin. Depending on the cut (regardless of size what actually fits me) I would guess a comparable size Parka for me would weigh 1lb.-1lb 4oz (Kelvin 1lb 6.8oz BR 1lb 11.6oz). I would gues it's the lightest weight of the three, but that may come at some warmth expense. It does look like a nice coat though and it's the cheapest. Now I'm interested. I'll have to see if I can check one out in person somewhere.

Brett

Default jackets

the brooks range is essentially intergral designs dollomitti jacket, it's hard to compare the jackets because they diffier on the amount of insulation. the montbell is very thin, but also warm & has a snug fit, i have a mountain hardwear compressor jacket & it's about in-between the two. the brooks range is more bulky of the three & most likely the warmest also....just depends on the temps & layering you decide

I would add that "bulky" is a relative ascessment. The Brooks Range is "bulkier than the compressor, but not much. It's also better made, much warmer,and about the same weight. I attribute the extra warmth without extra weight to higher quality premaloft insulation.

Brett

i went ahead and ordered a kelvin. i got to play with one here in IN while im home on leave. i think it will be perfect for what i want it for and i got a good price on it. gift certificates i still might get a brooks range suit tho when i get back to ak next spring... hmmmm

I'm 90% sure the outer fabric for the brooks range is purtex indurance.

Brett

The Brooks Range weighs three times what the Montbell weighs. The Montbell UL Thermawrap jacket only weighs 8.8oz.

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    The Brooks Range weighs three times what the Montbell weighs. The Montbell UL Thermawrap jacket only weighs 8.8oz.
    Exactly, comparing these two garments is like apples and oranges and you really need to figure out what you are looking for. I have the thermawrap parka which I believe is 12 oz or half the weight of the BR jacket. Between my base layers, thermawrap parka, I was comfortably warm last weekend in the wee hours of the morning at 27degrees with a 15 mph wind glassing for hours. Never felt cold.

If I knew I was going to be expecting single digits or colder I'd pack something more substantial, but the extra weight and bulk of the BR jacket simply isn't wroth it to me for most of my fall hunts as I've never seen single digits in my hunting up to September 20th and if I did I'd just throw on my extra set of thermals. Just figure the temp ranges you will be hunting in as well as what it takes to make you comfortable in those given temps and purchase the appropriate piece of clothing.

I have worn the heck out of my MB Thermawrap Parka. Mine is the 12oz version with the hood. Other than the fact the run small I have no complaints. IMO it is a perfect jacket for backpack hunts for sheep and other alpine type pursuits. Even warm when wet... I had the inside of my tent freeze up and then melt on me while I slept... (Or at least that is what my hunting partner told me....) I was able to wear the jacket damp and it dried itslef within 40 minutes or so walking around camp getting gear together. Not the most durable coat, but perfect where every ounce counts.

If I was in lower country, beating the brush for moose, or expecting below zero conditions I would have to look at the Barney jackets, but like mentioned they are a totally different jacket for a different use. At least IMO...

I use the MT Hardwear compressor for sheep, but am thinking of upgrading to the new Barney's Super Cub. The Brooks Range looks great, but may be overbuilt for what I do.