Thread: r value for 6" logs

Default r value for 6" logs

I am considering purchasing a 16' x 30' log cabin. The logs are 6" square side. I am seeking advice/comments about the insulating value as well as questions to ask the present owners. Thanks.

Default R value 6" log

R value is 1.25 per inch...

r values from wood can be misleading.
    read this article
    http://homerefurbers.com/members/daltxguy/blog/139

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

AK Mar.

I also own Nemesis Engineering LLC here in Fairbanks, though the building has been VERY slow the last year ..and ihave shut it down for the duration, i have 25 log homes nearby here that i have built by hand...

R value of a log is only taken into account on a very small percentage

logs are measured in density and mass. the type of log... black spruce, white spruce, lodgepole pine, etc.....

all need to be factored into the heat retention...

you have to consider THERMAL mass.. once warm... they regenerate their own heat for a time period during cooling..

air gaps in the logs reduce the thermal mass of the log.. 6 inch is widely used here in the interior for cost savings.. most are heated with a To yo or monitor stove. and are very efficiant...

maintenance on the logs are important...

NEW log homes will heat better the second winter then the first as the logs are still drying and curing... settleing..etc...

ceiling R value should be taken into account with a new pruchace...

what kind of roof? hot roof cold roof? insulation involved?

floor construction is as critical as the roof...

as these are the areas that cool FASTEST with a log home..

are the logs chinked and with what? will the chinking expand and contract with TEMP? or when its cold out will it be all shrunk up and letting in cold air..

up here at 50below... air leaks are like some one holding a air hose to your house...

the out side air is HEAVIER then the warm inside air... and is pushed in by shear mass of weight.

6 inch are fine.. if done right... feel free to call me during the week. if you wish to tak... my toll free number is in my Sig line... i am in Fairbanks...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    AK Mar.

I also own Nemesis Engineering LLC here in Fairbanks, though the building has been VERY slow the last year ..and ihave shut it down for the duration, i have 25 log homes nearby here that i have built by hand...

R value of a log is only taken into account on a very small percentage

logs are measured in density and mass. the type of log... black spruce, white spruce, lodgepole pine, etc.....

all need to be factored into the heat retention...

you have to consider THERMAL mass.. once warm... they regenerate their own heat for a time period during cooling..

air gaps in the logs reduce the thermal mass of the log.. 6 inch is widely used here in the interior for cost savings.. most are heated with a To yo or monitor stove. and are very efficiant...

maintenance on the logs are important...

NEW log homes will heat better the second winter then the first as the logs are still drying and curing... settleing..etc...

ceiling R value should be taken into account with a new pruchace...

what kind of roof? hot roof cold roof? insulation involved?

floor construction is as critical as the roof...

as these are the areas that cool FASTEST with a log home..

are the logs chinked and with what? will the chinking expand and contract with TEMP? or when its cold out will it be all shrunk up and letting in cold air..

up here at 50below... air leaks are like some one holding a air hose to your house...

the out side air is HEAVIER then the warm inside air... and is pushed in by shear mass of weight.

6 inch are fine.. if done right... feel free to call me during the week. if you wish to tak... my toll free number is in my Sig line... i am in Fairbanks...

Vince,IT'S the LAW OF PHYSICS that state heat goes from hot to cold.Just like a ac unit or a frig works...you pick up heat.Just like in the middle of the night half asleep in shorts and you open the frig for a drink and your cold.Your body just is just trying to heat the frig.

Quote Originally Posted by cabin View Post
    Vince,IT'S the LAW OF PHYSICS that state heat goes from hot to cold.Just like a ac unit or a frig works...you pick up heat.Just like in the middle of the night half asleep in shorts and you open the frig for a drink and your cold.Your body just is just trying to heat the frig.
    Also cold air has nothing to do with over powering warm air.Negative air pressure is the cause.Take some baby powder at the front door outside puff some, now open the door...it cant get inside fast enough.

Also cold air has nothing to do with over powering warm air.Negative air pressure is the cause.Take some baby powder at the front door outside puff some, now open the door...it cant get inside fast enough.
    And what is it you think in making negative pressure in a cabin with no power vents and heated with a Toyo that vents and pulls combustion air from outside? Vince is 100% correct that itís the cold heavy air pushing in and pushing the worm air up and out. The cabin is acting as a chimney conveying your heat outside fast as a conveyer belt.

Vince is talking about air exchange or convection and you are talking about radiation two completely different things.
    Heat moves in 3 ways convection, conduction, and radiation.

Convection is when a gas or liquid is in a circulatory motion, or when worm air goes out the roof and cold air comes through the cracks in the wall to replace it.

Conduction is when heat moves through a wall all on its own like when the sun shines on one side and you can feel the other side getting worm.

Radiation is where heat moves through air or even outer space traveling much like a radio wave. Radiant heat is what you feel from a camp fire and you felt your body heat radiate away from you toward the frig.

All these effect the efficiency of a wall but stopping convection is way more important than the others are. What good is an R40 wall if the door and windows are open? Conversely a wall of 1mill plastic has no R value but if you keep it air tight it will keep in heat for hours.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona