Thread: Archery Moose opens Monday in 14a/b

Default Archery Moose opens Monday in 14a/b

So any last minut tips for the opener? I am planning on spot and stalk with my compund tweaked out to 72 lbs and a bushwacking machete.

Have not seen many moose in the lowlands anybody else got any ideas on where and what technique to use for the archery hunt?

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by uh_archangel View Post
    So any last minut tips for the opener? I am planning on spot and stalk with my compund tweaked out to 72 lbs and a bushwacking machete.

Have not seen many moose in the lowlands anybody else got any ideas on where and what technique to use for the archery hunt?

Lee
    I would lose the machete. It will just be extra weight and noise when you don't need to be making any.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would lose the machete. It will just be extra weight and noise when you don't need to be making any.
    What he said, SHHH be vewy quiet...

“I am planning on spot and stalk with my compund tweaked out to 72 lbs and a bushwacking machete.”

(spot and stalk) (bushwacking machete.)

You’re kidding us.

If your not, I think I know why you’re not seeing any moose.

Default tips

So any last minut tips for the opener?
    STAY HOME!!!

I spent most of the last two days shooting my bow. Was planning on getting up real early in the morning to head out to my usual stomping grounds. But since I just had a stare down with this little meat bull through my living room window, I think I'll just stay home!

-Carnivore
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Ya, I have a nice fat forker located near by too. Should be a quick hunt.

Good luck to all, I've got my eye on one as well.
    Paul

Default perhaps not a bad idea

I'm not sure a machete isn't a bad idea- after all, what does a moose sound like when its thrashing the brush to shake off the velvet?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I'm not sure a machete isn't a bad idea- after all, what does a moose sound like when its thrashing the brush to shake off the velvet?
    Bulls will not be removing there velvet for another 20 to 25 days depending on age. That said a young bull is like a teenage boy, (really dumb) so it could work on a young bull.

I got one (spike) last year 300 yds from my house with my bow (14yds). I have seen cows/calves this year, but nothing with head gear.

With this much foliage out still I'm planning on a lot of glassing the hillsides tomorrow AM. Spot and stalk is pretty much the only option since they won't be very responsive to calling yet.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default advice

Thank ya'll for the advice that you posted as it has held true to what I have seen recently. Not everyone one seems to be as helpful and polite but at least I see that some know what sarcasm is.

That reminds me of my second year of Grad. school in philosophy. There was a young gentleman there who always scoffed and commented at many of the questions and answers by the students. He seemed to think he knew it all. As with most unhappy people who already know everything he quit and dropped out. I speculate he was tired of being surrounded by all of those ignorant people who were attempting to learn. After all he knew more than the teacher. However those ignorant people persevered and became graduates and he was known as a sarcastic drop out.

With this in mind, I appreciate those willing to share advice because if I a country boy from the MS delta can learn to hunt in AK and teach his four boys to survive then I can die a happy man.

So far I have seen 1 spork at 40 yds on a river bottom, but no real antlered bulls. BTW-I use the machete to clear a path to haul out my 5 rucksacks stuffed with moose venison.

When in doubt ask...
    Keep hunting.

Thumbs up

BTW-I use the machete to clear a path to haul out my 5 rucksacks stuffed with moose venison.
    Congratulations on the bull uh archangel!

Talking

However those ignorant people persevered and became graduates and he was known as a sarcastic drop out.
    And the graduates went right straight to work, never missing a day, always paid their taxes on time, yearn for a weeks vacation time and now financially support the BHO Administration in a very big way; while the sarcastic dropout moved to the bush and gets to hunt and fish every single day, with free medical, free fuel, free food and free internet that the graduates faithfully provide, day in day out.

Hmmm....ignorance is to the bone and can never be whittled away.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Moose season was over for me on Sunday

Finished the season seeing one spork at 40 and two 3 brow tines at 35 yds 3 bulls total count and no cows. Came down from said tree and slipped off the asics and did the barefoot stealth mode to 10 yds for a double lunger.

Awesome feeling until you have to gut that thing; then I was thinking what was I thinking. Called a buddy with a wheeler and we were done by 0100. Wouldn't you know the next day was gorgeous replete with sun and all.

750lb 49"x3 tine = 260 boneless processed meat!

Thanks for the tips ya'll, you can use my machete anytime...

Lee

Default congrats!

where's the Pics?

Default MUsk Ox will have to do as I left the camera at home on the first hunt

Check out the musk ox archery harvest in 09 photos gallery