Thread: Calibres and restrictions on use

Default Calibres and restrictions on use

Here in New Zealand we are not allowed to use or have in our posession a .22 or a smoothbore in DoC (govt owned) land such as national parks or in regional council owned areas. That is due to their use by poachers to hunt protected bird species, again the actions of the minority ruin things for the majority. It becomes really frustrating when we go out as a family because if I take the kids out when I go for deer then they can't take their .22 and we always come across a lot of rabbits, possums (Australian brush tailed possums) etc. We go camping a lot as a family and it would be good to be able to take a few rabbits with the kids for the pot.

What I'd like to know is, are there any similar restrictions in place there?

Thanks in advance

Maarty

Quote Originally Posted by maarty View Post
    Here in New Zealand we are not allowed to use or have in our posession a .22 or a smoothbore in DoC (govt owned) land such as national parks or in regional council owned areas. That is due to their use by poachers to hunt protected bird species, again the actions of the minority ruin things for the majority. It becomes really frustrating when we go out as a family because if I take the kids out when I go for deer then they can't take their .22 and we always come across a lot of rabbits, possums (Australian brush tailed possums) etc. We go camping a lot as a family and it would be good to be able to take a few rabbits with the kids for the pot.

What I'd like to know is, are there any similar restrictions in place there?

Thanks in advance

Maarty
    Nope. On National park land we are not allowed to have a loaded gun, but we are close to getting that lifted. Some states have restrictions on what gun you can hunt with, but as long as you’re not hunting you can have whatever you want. Just about anything short of a machinegun and less than 51 caliber is okay here without any extra paperwork.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default pellet gun..

There are some pretty effective pellet guns out there and they come in .17 caliber. Would your countries laws allow that?

If pellet guns aren't legal, I would get a 25/20 or 32/20 or even a .310 martini and start loading and casting bullets. Only slightly more expensive than shooting a 22 and a lot more range and power.