Thread: Another Taxidermy Question

Default Another Taxidermy Question

Would it be worth the effort and money savings to get my hide tanned and then send it to the taxidermist or is this something that should be left to the taxidermist to do and have them send it out?
    I have always just dropped off the untanned cape, but thought about just dropping it off at the tanners and maybe saving a few bucks if thats possible.
    Don't know, anyone with thoughts?
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

All I can tell you is it never seemed like they were overcharging for the tanning. The taxidermist also insures everything is done right, ears, lips, eyelids, etc so there would be no problems later. To me its worth it.

i agree. if its worth putting on the wall, its worth the extra dough to make sure its done right. also consider that by side stepping the taxidermist on the tanning, he or she may not take as much care or time on the mount or rug as they would if they did the whole process. if you drop the cape off untanned, they have full control over the end product. if a taxidermist tans the cape, and mounts it, they want to turn a good mount out the door. thats how they stay in business. if they receive a previously tanned cape, they can't be held responsible for the tanning process, and may not worry about it as much. just food for thought

Default I can answer that one

As a taxidermist myself, I much rather prefer to receive a raw cape.. as others have stated.... that way I know the ears, lips, eyes, toes, nose, etc.. and the hide is properly fleshed, and its not sour... etc.. If someone wants to drop off a tanned hide..No problem.. (but) One really doesn't know where it was tanned, method, who, or how long ago it was tanned.. .. all of these may affect the outcome of the final mount.. Also.. Most taxidermist prices are figured and listed to include the tanning, forms, shipping, supplies, and all other costs assiciated with the final mount.. when you get a tanned one.. the customer is usually looking for a Drastic discount.. (not always the case)... which the tanning is usually one of the least expensive aspects of the mount itself..

Dahlberg's Taxidermy
    746-0627

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

BUT?????

How many Taxis up here realy have any control of the tanning? don't most actually send them outside to be tanned.. some have better results then others.. but a good lot of it i bet depends on cost per lot for the Taxi....i do know that EVERY one of my 6 bears have been outa state for tanning.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Depends

I have bears tanned in state.. Sheep, goats, bison and muskox also.. the moose, deer, caribou I usually do myself.. Their are Dozens of Tannerys, Some are good, some bad and some great... I do occasionally ship to MI sometimes at a customers request.. for a wall hanger, etc..

Also, most taxidermist if not all.. will have a disclaimer on their invoice.. that they are (NOT) responsible for damages done at the tannery...etc...

This could be a long debate..I just tried to answer the guys question..

Default Fine Print

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    BUT?????

How many Taxis up here realy have any control of the tanning? don't most actually send them outside to be tanned.. some have better results then others.. but a good lot of it i bet depends on cost per lot for the Taxi....i do know that EVERY one of my 6 bears have been outa state for tanning.
    It says in the small print at some of the local guys they are not responsible for the tanning of the hide as they send it out. I took last years Bear to the tanner here local in Anchorage. They did a good job,timely manner and price was fair.
    I will take my hide to the Taxidermist, but was just curious if I might save a few bucks taking it in to be tanned myself
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!