Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 loads- Anyone loading light ones?

Default .308 loads- Anyone loading light ones?

Looking at having my 6 yr old son use a .308 for caribou. I can't find any loads lighter then 150gr. Would anyone be interested in loading some super light loads for him to shoot? Whatever would be the lightest possible to get the job done, and spare him some recoil so he gets comfortable shooting. I'd be happy to pay for a box for the service. I don't know the first thing about reloading. I live in Kenai, but work in Anchorage, and can come pick them up.

Thanks!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I have a friend that shoots this round quite a bit, he only shoots prairie dogs and paper. He claims it can be shot all day with very low recoil.

I'm not sure about it's performance on large game. I'm guessing a shoulder shot will result in an injured caribou that limps off and dies. The add claims shallow penetration and high fragmentation.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/mo...2&sID=79&pID=1

Default Wouldn't shoot TAP on big game.

Tap is great for ridding the world of varmints. 2 and 4 legged. Can't say as I'd use them on big game at all.

I have a light load for the 308. 125 grain spitzer at about 2500 fps. Doesn't kick much at all, but penetrated through more than 2 feet of deer breaking ribs and the off side shoulder. 30 yard recovery seems to be about the normal with this load on Sitka's. Trick is to slow them down and they work well as a reduced recoil round for hunting smaller big game, or speed them up and have some fun with pdogs or ground hogs or.....

I'll look and see if I have any of the 125's left. Also have several 135 grain pistol bullets, but have never worked a load for them. They would work great for a reduced recoil 308 load, just never got around to it...

6 y/o might be a bit young/small for the 308 even with my light hunting loads. How much time does he have with hi-powered rifles?

I'll see what I can come up with and get back to you.
    Last edited by rdklinak; 08-08-2009 at 23:53. Reason: adding txt

Default Thanks

Wow, that looks like a nice round. I'm going to do some good ballistic checks on it, but it sure seems like the ticket. I'll be having him really close, within about 40 years before he pulls the trigger, and backing him up with something larger.

any other thoughts out there?

Take a look at the Remington managed recoil rounds. I was planning on using these with my son and his first 308 this year, but I found he could handle 150-160 grain just fine.

These are 125 grain and supposed to be comparable inside 100 yards.

http://www.remington.com/products/am...ged-Recoil.asp

Good luck with your son.

Default posting at the same time...

I was posting at the same time as rdk. I hear ya on that. I would defintely take you up on the .125's. "Bob", my son has been shooting the .410 for the last 2 years at pocurpines, rabbits, and ptarmagin, and he's fairly decent shot. He has also been shooting a lot of .22 rounds. He's fairly large for 6 and is around 80 pounds. I think he's ready to move up, as long as I don't give him something that will hurt him, and he's super careful. I think (a guess mostly) that the .410 would be about the same recoil as a light .308 round.

He's been packing his back pack all day, with a huge smile about the thought of getting to hunt a caribou next weekend.

Thanks!
    Claude

Default 125's

I like the look of that 125 managed recoil round. Wonder if anyone is carrying them in the state?

Default Will check my records tomorrow

on my recipe for the 125's. AND see if I have any left. Haven't looked at the light stuff in a while. Will post what I find.

40 yards on a 'bou wouldn't be an issue at all. I'll post the ballistics I have on paper. Other than checking groups for consistency, I haven't done any work with these to verify actual trajectory or speed.

But If I remember correctly, according to the published charts, I wouldn't have a problem poking a deer at 150 with them. I'd stay under 100 for a 'bou, so you're looking in the right direction.

Can't help with factory reduced recoil load locations ...

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    "Bob", my son has been shooting the .410 for the last 2 years at pocurpines, rabbits, and ptarmagin, and he's fairly decent shot. He's fairly large for 6 and is around 80 pounds. I think he's ready to move up, as long as I don't give him something that will hurt him, and he's super careful. I think (a guess mostly) that the .410 would be about the same recoil as a light .308 round.
    If this is the case I wouldn't worry about him being able to shoot 140-150 grain. I was just recently in your same situation.

My son is 10 yrs 74 lbs. He has been shooting a .410 since 5, and handles it fine. I bought him a .308 and was going through the same thing you are. I did not want to scare him with to much recoil.

I tested him this summer on his moms 7-08 with 140 grain loads. After his first shot he looked at me and said "Dad, that didn't kick at all" I was so relieved. Now it was time to give him his new .308.

Just yesterday I took him out and he put a box of 150 grain through his new Rem model 7, .308. No problem whatsoever, he really had a good time and I am confident with his ability to shoot it.

We will be up in your neck of the woods for the first week of moose season. If a spiker stands still long enough I'm going to let him take a poke at it.

If I were you, I would worry more about how the gun fits him than the recoil, he sounds like a pretty stout little guy. I think these kids are tougher than we give them credit though.

Last thing I wanted was to scare him with the recoil and develop a flinch.

Default Rem. Reduced recoil load ballistics compared...

This is "borrowed" from the Remington website. They're running about 100fps faster than my load. Threw in the 165 grainer for something to compare it to.

Here's the link...... posting a chart here is way too hard to read. Makes my head hurt!!!!!

http://www.remington.com/products/am...L3081*PRA308WB

Back to Ammunition Ballistics
    Cartridge Information
    Index NumberCartridge TypeWeight (grs.)Bullet StylePrimer No.Ballistic CoefficientRL3081Remington® Managed Recoil®125Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt®9 1/20.314PRA308WBPremier® AccuTip™165AccuTip™ Boat Tail9 1/20.447
    Velocity (ft/sec)
    Cartridge TypeBulletMuzzle100200300400500Remington® Managed Recoil®125 PSP CL266023482057178815461338Premier® AccuTip™165 AT BT270025012311212919561792
    Energy (ft-lbs)
    Cartridge TypeBulletMuzzle100200300400500Remington® Managed Recoil®125 PSP CL196415291174887663497Premier® AccuTip™165 AT BT267022921957166114011176
    Short-Range Trajectory
    Cartridge TypeBullet50100150200250300Remington® Managed Recoil®125 PSP CL-0.1zero-1.5-4.9-10.4-18.3Premier® AccuTip™165 AT BT-0.1zero-1.3-4.1-8.5-14.7
    Long-Range Trajectory
    Cartridge TypeBullet100150200250300400500Remington® Managed Recoil®125 PSP CL1.1zero-2.7-7.4-14.3-35.8-70.3Premier® AccuTip™165 AT BT2.01.8zero-3.4-8.6-24.8-50.1
    Last edited by rdklinak; 08-09-2009 at 00:42. Reason: adding txt

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Denali... have you also considered a smaller rifle for him to shoot?

223 or 243? 30 cal seems a might large... if need be and yours and mine schedules match up... i could loan your boy one also... i have a NEF 223 heavy but short enough for him to shoot... my daughter shoots it fine with no issues.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions and offers! This is really giving me some great ideas and things to consider. Thought about the smaller caliber for sure, but I would like him to have something he maybe could poke a hole in a moose also this year if all the stars line up and the perfect shot presents itself.. (and it's a small moose). I have a super short Remington Model 7 .308 ready to go for him, if I can get the right combination. I hear ya on us underestimating the ability of kids. Bob has spend the entire weekend packing his back pack with hunting gear. I know we could easily get a caribou by riding the trails on the atv from the lodge, but I want his hunting experiences (at least at this early of an age) to be where we hike into the Clearwater Controlled Use area a mile or two up in the mountains, so he can appreciate and enjoy the hunt, and pack at least the heart and liver out himself if we get lucky.

I keep thinking a lighter caliber might be the way to go, but I'm still kicking it around. He difinitely has no flinch or scare of a gun now, so he might be alright.

Claude

Default reduced loads on Moose.

I wouldn't recommend using my reduced loads on a Moose.

Just don't have to confidence in those light weight bullets to do the job.

Having an immediate follow up shot with a more appropriate bullet might sway my opinion, even so that big of an animal would have to be CLOSE! I'm talking 50 yards MAX. light weight 30 cal bullets just don't deal with big bone like a Moose has. And I'd hate to see the boy have to deal with the emotion of losing an animal due to poor bullet construction.

For 30 cal loadings, I'd set 150 grainers as the minimum for a Moose. And for me, they'd have to be premium bullets. (read that as Nosler Partitions) I've loaded 150's and 165's to be light recoiling in 308 win that's worked for 8 and 10 year olds.

Didn't get to dig in my records today, spent all day under the hood of a POS truck. Grease to my armpits & still not done... shoulda took it to the dealer and dumped it under the c4c gubment bs program.

Will hit the records tomorrow after work.

Mike

Default my records say.

I loaded 125g sierra's with 45.5 grains of ww748 lit with CCI 250's. Estimated at 2500 to 2550 fps. Never chrono'd the load so don't know.

Book says 47.5 grains should do about 2750 or so and 49.5 grains @ 2950 or so.

If you take a look at burn rates, there's a few powders that are close to 748 that could be used to work these loads too.

Like I said, I never got to chrono these loads, so I can't testify that's what they're doing. All I know is they actually performed better than I expected on the deer. Good enough that I'd poke a 'bou with them with no problem. Not a moose load IMO though.

I'd say if you're getting them up above the 2750fps area, they're not gonna behave well on big stuff. If you're bumping up against that speed and looking for more performance, step up to the 150's at 2500fps or so.

To get the kids ready for the recoil, go ahead and make the 125's go fast but only at paper. Slow the 150's down and that should be the next "step" in working them up. My nosler book says a 150 grainer can be run above 2900 fps fairly easy. That should pretty much handle the upper limits of recoil for the 308. My personal favorite bullet is the 165 partition above 2750, which isn't pushing the limits (IN MY GUN)

Which ever way you end up going.... light loaded 308 or a smaller caliber, have him shoot it with some sort of recoil reducing pad. I use a PAST pad and man does it make a difference. All he'll really have to deal with then is the noise, but it doesn't sound like getting him used to that should be too hard.

Good luck either way.

Thumbs up Low Recoil

42.0 of Reloader 15
    180gr Part
    308 Win This load is my 14 yr old sons, he uses it for Black bear and Moose in a old Browning BLR.

Default .308 update

Well, took the boy to the range with 150gr factories. Dressed him with a coat and a shooting pad for his shoulder. He was so excited to shoot it... so I took a chance... he took a shot, it pushed him back quite a bit, but he was nowhere near getting scope eye, as I made him back off quite a bit. After the first shot, he looked up at me with a huge grin!!! The smoke hadn't cleared before he was asking if he could shoot again. I set him all up, put a target up, and he put 3 within 6" of the bulls eye at around 40 yards! I guess I was way worried about nothing... dang kid is tougher then I was at his age!

We putted around did some hiking and riding, looking for caribou at 68, and seen several good bulls, but we couldn't get closer then 100 yards. I'm not going to let him shoot until we get under 50, so we'll just wait and take our time, and have the perfect oppourtunity.

We'll be back up hunting next Saturday on our next winter supply run to the lodge.

That dang kid sure makes me proud!

Claude

Thats good to hear! I told you they were tougher than we thought.

Like you I spent too much time stressing over nothing.

Where are you on the DH?
    I will be up in Sept with my boy, maybe we'll stop in and say hi.

Default Mile 68

We are right at Mile 68, within one mile of the center of the highway. Would be great if you stop by! The coffee is always free! I'll be up there the evening of the 5th, through the 21st (I hope that long, anyhow). I'm looking forward to a great moose season!

Claude

Default young ones always worry me..... but

glad to hear you got him shooting AND he's a tough kid!

The offer still stands if you want to run him some lighter loads for the off season for practice.

Can't wait until I'm in your boat with my grandson. Gonna be a few years though.

Good luck and enjoy the years to come. As the song says "you're gonna miss this"

Mike

Last night I read on the Hodgdon web site that H-4895 data could be loaded safely at 60% of published max loads. That's not true with all powders!!!

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

There is data on page (2) of this attachment for the .308 Win

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast