Thread: Merganser Ducks on Russian River

Smile Merganser Ducks on Russian River

As our group fished its way downriver from the falls, I noticed this "flock" of what I believe to be merganser ducks bunched together side-by-side on a boulder.

The scene seemed rather unique and worthy of photos. In the first shot, they appear to be napping and facing toward the far bank. In the second image, all but one take note of my presence. Despite the intrusion, the birds remained calm and stayed put.

Just another example of Alaska's beauty and wonder...

As a side note, the abundant numbers of fish-eating fowl on the river has me wondering about exactly what they are eating and the potential impact on the water system's salmon, trout and/or dolly population.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We see them on the russian and floating the kenai all the time. That is a pretty large family still. By the time fall rolls around there are usually on a couple of them left after starting out with a dozen or so. We have seen the eagles picking them off more than once. I swear I heard one scream on day as an eagle gave chase. The duck did get away too. I have wondered about what they eat and how much myself. Still a great part of a wonderful eco system
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

They feed on small fish, i.e. smolt and juvenile salmon/trout etc.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I figured they were smolts eaters and such. Thanks for the info Hippie
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default valley streams

i have seen merganser hens with as many as 15 chicks....surely some were adopted...on the same creek i have seen several other hens with 4 or 5 chicks.....i would have to say that these birds do have an impact on the smolt and other small fishes....how much can 15 birds eat a day?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"