Thread: Howdy

Default Howdy

Just a quick introduction...

Joined the site a while ago, but finally got moved up here. Well, I did anyway. Came up here alone and once I get all set up, will fly down and drive the family and our "stuff" back up here. Loving Fairbanks. Have a temp job that may lead to something permanent.

I have dreamed about living in AK since I was a little kid, but the last four years my wife and I have really been wanting to move badly. Well, the economy in California and it's effect on us has allowed our wish, though it cost us a lot too.

Big concern now is getting my guns/ammo/reloading stuff up here. Driving up with 2 rifles and a shotty got my car emptied and me delayed 2 hours. Will be refreshing the rules and see how many long guns I can bring up through customs. Then the handguns will cost a small fortune shipping up here.

Can't wait for the residency requirements to be fulfilled. Sure as heck can't afford to hunt this year. :-)

Anyone in Fairbanks wants to have coffee with a stranger on a Saturday or Sunday before/after church, I'm your guy. I have a LOT to learn.

Just mail your guns to yourself .... Not handguns ... but all longrifles. welcome to Alaska

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Ferry

Drive to Bellingham and take the ferry around Canada and get dropped in Haines. Anything that goes on the road goes on the ferry. Then you won't have the firearm issues. Sounds like your working within a budget so maybe that won't work. Talk to your employers and see if they offer relocation money for taking a permanent job.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome.

Yeah, the budget is gonna kill me. lol I THINK I can get a good number of my long guns through customs (a few might be too short on OAL). The handguns are gonna cost a pretty penny to get up here. Oh well, but I am trying to do this cheap so i can affrord powder and primers up here. GEEZE!!!

Looks like I MAY be able to bring the family up here the first of September. My attitude will get much better real quick. lol

If you get off at Haines, you still have to cross through Canada. Sorry. That won't work for hand guns. Have to take the ferry further up the route. Best of luck. J.