Thread: Holographic sights

Default Holographic sights

I've got a Sako AV in 375 H&H with a 20" bbl that's a joy to carry. I don't want to ruin the quick handling and ease of carry by mounting a scope, and the gun isn't used for long-range hunting so I don't really need one anyway. I'm thinking about putting a holographic sight on it so I've got great field of view and quick target acquisition while the rifle stays light and fun to carry. I've never used a holo sight on anything larger than a .223, so I don't know if it'll hold the recoil. Ultradot lists their sights as recoil-proof and offer a lifetime warranty http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2008_007.htm Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any alternatives?

Thanks,

Adam

I have a friend who put one of those on his slug gun. My response was why would you want that goofey looking thing on your gun? Then I shot it some at the range and it grew on me in a hurry. He has been killing whitetails at a torrid pace the last few years with it. I guess the end results speak for themselves!

I've been looking at these as well and toying with the idea of one on a 458 socom (fairly up close gun) and maybe even a glock 20SF. Just dreams for now as i've been eyeing the Docter, Trijicon, etc...and they aren't cheap!! Also looking for info

I have a friend who has them on both of his S&W 500's, on his Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh. (They all have some "Recoil")......

Thanks Hopeak; guess it'll handle the recoil anyway

I've used them for short-range CQB and action pistol, but never on a rifle for moose or bear. I figure they've got to be minute-of-moose out to at least 100yds and given time to aim and use a rest, probably further. My personal experience is minute-of-torso at less than 50yds, usually in very bad (or no) light. Anybody have first-hand experience with Alaska-style hunting?

I've had one on my .375 RUM for a couple of years and have about 150 rounds logged on it, and it's held up so far. I just took it off and put a scope on for moose season, but here's a pic anyways...

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

Default Eotech!!!!!!

Look at the EOTech stuff. I have used their products and have found them to handle anything thrown down a barrel. Our military uses their stuff too.

A cool setup which I have used, is their holo sight with a 3x magnifier. You can get it as a quick-release system where you can pull the magnifier off, or a cool flip-away set up which is what I used. Optical quality of first rate and the whole thing costs about as much as a good scope.

Default More on EOTECH

In fact, If anyone wants more info on the EOTech site, I'll be posting a review of one and some more info on my Outwrite Outdoors website this weekend.

So I'm assuming you shoot with both eyes open using these sighting systems?

Default another vote for the Eotech

If you want to read the reviews look at the cabelas website, I am in the market as well for my 450 bushmaster. My buddies all have them on their 223's and love 'em! They say they never lose their zero and they are waterproof....so i am sold!

I've had an Eo-tech holo sight for about 5 yrs now. I do like it but it requires you to almost lift your entire face off the rifle to take aim.....it's just too high. I have the one with the big metal shroud around the sight.....it's quite heavy. I would think that a 1 inch straight tubed low power scope would be almost half the weight. Although they are extremely fast (fastest and most accurate mulitple double taps)......I don't feel that it belongs on any of my hunting rifles.

One more thing.....this holosight is like-new. It's only seen the range. It will be for sale in november with the original box that it came in and extra batteries too.

These sights a well made and will handle the recoil just fine. I have carried them off and on over the years on duty weapons but, the problem i have with them is having to use batteries.
    I just took one off last week and went back to a acog scope just for that very reason. As always they will go down when you need it the most.
    Just my 2cents on this

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I was considering the EoTech because I have first-hand experience with them, and trust that they'll always work. The biggest complaint I have about their design is that is does force you to have a really high sight-picture. For this reason (combined with price) I've pretty much ruled them out. I'm looking at the Trijicon http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=175015 which weighs less than 2 ounces, or the Burris Fastfire http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html which weighs about the same. As far as battery life, I know some are terrible, but the Burris will last up to 5 years (mfg claim) if used lightly, so I figure a fresh replacement at the start of the season and an additional CR2032 in the backpack should cover any problems that might arise.

HuntAK: You can shoot with both eyes open, or like a traditional scope. The field of view and terrain perception with both eyes open is astounding, so that's the route I prefer to take. It takes a bit of training to leave the left eye open, but the rewards are worth it.

The EOTECH is the sturdiest Holosight out there. By my count we have sold over 500 of them. They are milspec and offer an incredible FOV

The Trjicon/Doctor is nice, but I view it more as an auxiliary or Handgun sight.

I sell a ton of Aimpoints, but I cant use one myself.

The Zeiss Z Point is an exceptional sight that is unobtrusive and has a solar recharger built in. We sell a ton of those too.

I also like the Trijicon reflex

A good middle ground is the Leupold Mark IV CQB. It has the same type reticle as the EoTech but has up to 4x magnification. A little more pricey but i've used them before over in the sandbox and they work pretty well. It can be used as a CQB type sight or 4x scope. The EoTech is great though, I use one both over here and back home. There are different mounts out there to raise or lower the EoTech. Both eyes open (Binding Aiming Concept) is the way to go. I have a Trijicon Accupoint on my 338WM and that is used with both eyes open as well. Another good thing about the military, all the cool new toys and gadgets get tested before I have to buy them.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine