Thread: Kenai Caribou herd

Default Kenai Caribou herd

Anyone able to tell me how hunting the Kenai Caribou would be from the Swan lake area in late august. I have drawn that tag and that is one of the only places you can get dropped. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Default Head to the mountains

You won't be close to the caribou in the Swan Lake area. You have to get up in the mountains.

Do a search for this hunt and you should get quite a bit of information.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DrB View Post
    You won't be close to the caribou in the Swan Lake area. You have to get up in the mountains.

Do a search for this hunt and you should get quite a bit of information.

Good Luck.
    I think he was referring to the Swan Lake that is up in the mountains just slightly west of Resurection Pass trail. I first thought he was talking about the Swan Lake Trails area, but when I looked on Google Earth, I found another Swan Lake up within the hunting area. What do you know, I learn something new every day.

Never tried that area, but could be good. I have hunted off the Resurection Pass trail and Devil's Canyon before with success using bikes for transportation.

Swan Lake is your best starting point for that hunt. I consider that hunt a meat hunt, and low odds on big bulls, as the caribou are scattered over a large area, and you rarely see more than five in a bunch, and one or two together is more common. Good bear area, but I think moose is "CLOSED" there. Good Luck. Cheaper hunt is upper Palmer Cr. for Meat'Bou.

Default Swan Lake

Oops, sorry about the bad advice. I should know better. How many Swan Lakes and Bear Creeks are there in Alaska?

Palmer Creek would be an inexpensive way to go. It just depends on where the caribou are wandering. At least you will be in their territory.

Good Luck.

Default swan lake caribou

i hunted out of the west side of swan lake three years ago very tough getting up and out of the swan lake valley any way headed down chickaloon creek to a feeder creek on right hand side followed it up very steep and thick about 2-3 hours of brush busting before popping out above tree line at the head of abernathy and heade up over american pass pretty tough but doable hope that helps good luck.