Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cow tags?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Cow tags?

well dang It all... now i have to buy the wife her own GPS of course i want her to have the best, for her cow hunt this year...

yeah sure, she COULD use mine... but you know how it goes.... a second is nearly a requirment... especially if i can talk her into a Pair of those rhinos........

the reason she needs one?

new this year...

the cow tags state....

they want the LAT and LONG of your kill site.. it is NOW part of the required reporting.

the cow hunts have to much controversy around them and they are mapping access points and other according to the tags......

as your tags come in double check... your .. the wifes is DM 729.... but i am suspecting it will be come a site check like the haul road does.... to make sure you were in the right boundary.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Requirement

Are you SURE that it is a requirement. I know that they are "requesting" it, but a GPS is not part of everyone's equipment.

So you put the GPS readings in and you transpose a number or two and guess what, ADF&G are at your door to give you a ticket for shooting out of the designated location.

Personally, I think I am gonna have to pass on putting the LAT/LON readings on harvest report card.

Any thoughts?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

is states....
    ...Remeber, once you kill your antlerless moose, you must immediatly punch out month adn date on your permit.

also this year, we are requesting GPS coordinates of your antlerless moose kill, so please do not over look that on the report card. Antlerless hunts have stimulated some controversy in recent years. Knowing the relationships between hunter access points, harvest locations, and hunt boundaries this year will help us improve the quality of hunt and sustained yield in future years. If you would like to participate in the design of new hunts, please get involved with your local citizen advisory committee an the Alaska Board of Game process

on the tag itself under date of kill is a space for lat and long.......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think the lat and long would just be additional info, you don't need it for haul road either, at least last year you didn't. I got a bou off the haul road and wasn't asked for lat/long. I did my harvest report online. Not everyone has a GPS or can read lat/long from it. Not everyone can afford to buy one either. I'm sure this is just additional info they would like if available, hopefully.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I saw that when I got mine. I read it as a suggestion, not a requirement. I don't own a GPS, and I don't intend to buy one just to satisfy Fish and Game. If they really need to know the lat and long, I'll just take a look at the map and go ahead and give it to them now. I'm sure there is, has been, or will be a cow moose there.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Well, I know that I would rather put the lat and long on it and not need it, than give fish and game another reason to restrict a hunt like that if you did need it. And after all, you're able to use this as an excuse to get another GPS anyways, get a top-of-the-line new one and pass your old one down to your wife.

Heck get that new super Garmin that takes pics and codes them w/ the lat and long! Then just attach the pic to the hunt report online... It sure seems to be headed that way!

Just looked at my DM799 antlerless moose tag, and there is nothing on mine that asks for coordinates. It states that if successful, put location of kill below.

When did you guys get your tags? We are still waiting for ours.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I am not sure if they ship different tags at different times but my goat tag never came in. My wife was nice enough to swing by fish and feathers in palmer and have them print it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It is because we live CLOSER to our hunt area

meet on face book here

Just recieved my DM407 permit in the mail and it mentions nothing about GPS coodinates.

hmmm I wonder if it is only the new Fairbanks area hunts how about the 20A cow hunts?

meet on face book here

I drew one of the new fairbanks cow hunts and I am seeing what you are seeing vince, looks like a requirement to me.

Default Requirement

I went online to register my cow hunt and there are specific fields for GPS location. Of coarse I forgot the decimal points and got a big error message and the form would not let me go back to fix it. I am going in to ADFG tomorrow to fix the reporting issue and turn in my jaw sample. I will post an update about the requirement.

Ours came in while I was away on a short trip for my wife and I's anniversary. No requirement on the tag for GPS coordinates on a Pt. Mak cow tag.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default FMA

I know it has been added to the FMA hunts because of the limited access due to private and military lands. It is a new requirement this year. If you don't have a GPS, I would just map spot it which should be close enough. Like others have already said, I would rather include coordinates and satisfy F&G rather than have them come up with more restrictions in the future because hunters don't want to comply. If you are hunting legally, it shouldn't be a problem telling F&G where you took your moose, otherwise you could end up like the Iditarod guy that had to go to court over a moose he allegedly killed in Denali FWMA. Its better to be safe than sorry, I say. This is just MPO and personally I enjoy hunting and don't want to loose any more hunting oportunities for not doing the right thing, everyone else can do what they feel they can afford for thier future.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Drive a stake in the ground and paint it red. Then when they want to know where you shot it, tell them to give you a helicopter ride out where its at on thier dime Hey thats what I'd do. Free chopper ride to do a little more scouting.

If they don't want to do that then show them on the map where the stake is, and say go find it.

Not everyone owns a GPS.

Don't want anyone steeling your secret cow spots huh? I don't get the big deal it take two seconeds and helps manage the resourse that you are utilizing. Hell I would give them pictures if they asked.

mall, I'm not a cow hunter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast