Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 August Goat

Default 2009 August Goat

For a long time my wife has watched from a distance as I wobbled home with weak legs and a strong heart after storied goat hunts. This year it was her turn. I took vacation time. We shipped the kids to grandmas in WA. The packs were loaded and the plan was in motion. The hunting grounds were north of Sitka so we had to boat there. Once in our choosen bay we landed with gear and a hand cart and anchored the skiff off shore and kayaked into shore. We utilized the hand cart as far as we could in anticipation of success and easing our burden on the return.

Kathleen and I have been married for 12 yrs and have been through alot. Our courting took place in WA state and before I married her she endured a week backpacking in the William O Douglas Wilderness. She is a great woman and really pleasant through the labors of a backcountry trip. This would be her second attempt at goat. She was well prepared and made the alpine on day one. In the end it was her who carried out the entire meat bag.

Once on top we set camp and went light ridge to look over the few goats we had seen earlier bedded in the snow.

They were nannies and quickly moved on. So the next morning at 4am we were in motion to gain elevation and get the jump on the dawn activities. Soon we were on a rocky outcropping overlooking 15 goats. In particular was a group of three big bodied Billies below a large group of nannies and juvenile goats. Wierd, I know.......but true situation. That lead nannie in the upper group probably had 12+ inch daggers. She was really impressive for a nannie goat and very regal. So we waited until they moved on and out of view as to not disturb the Billies below. It worked and the stalk was on. I got Kathleen above the goats.....within 150yrds and she set the cross hairs on the biggest of the bunch as he walked above some buck brush. I told her to wait until it was just above the brush so that he might catch up in it but NO the bugger collapsed quickly to the shot and rolled strait into the bowels of the mountain. That 25-06 was plenty enough pill for that bad boy!

I had an oh-**** moment and gathered myself for the difficult task ahead. It was a replay of last year when I had to recover a 8.5 yr. old Billy for a friend. He couldn't get in to the hole and this year was the same exact situation. So all those days sport climbing started to pay off. The wife didn't get in for a trophy photo shot but she sure did do a good job of sitting in the sun and running the camera. This year it was a 9.5 year old billy with mamoth body. I'll let the photos speak to the situation. All I got to say is I LOVE goat meat!

I hauled that beast from the hole. My wife took some of the load and we were off to camp. The meat was stored overnight in a snow bank. We hauled down to the base of the hill and laid it in a cold river in a dry bag overnight again. I had a backstrap steak tonight and it is wonderful.

The weather was perfect. The company even better.

I hope you enjoy the photos. Over the years it's been a pleasure reading your stories and seeing where you've traveled. I hope this is a small repayment to all of you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more photos

morning alpine shots

Default photos

Getting the goat

Default more

Where is Waldo?

Default more

What a hide! Huge.

Default more

Heading out. "Make sure you get those tenderloins."

Default more

Parting shots of goat country. Have a great day.

Default Last one.

Great mountainscape.

Good hunt, good story.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs up

Congrats on a great goat to your wife! That sounds like a good hunting trip and that hole looks like it was a lot of fun getting into and back out of with a full pack of goat. Great pics!

Impressive. Steep country. You have my admiration!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Great thread man!!

Great hunt. Wife should be very proud and you in turn must be proud as well. Look forward to a similar write up on your Brooks sheep hunt. Enjoyed all the pics.

Congratulations on the successful hunt! Great report as well. That's great you're able to share a trip like this with your "hunting partner" pardon the pun! Everyone keeps telling me how bad goats are to eat. Are they full of it or do you guys just have extra tasty goats in southeast?

Brett

PS. It was a pleasure to meet you earlier this year when you stopped in Barney's.

Default very cool

Congrats! What a cool deal to be able to hang out and hunt with the person you love. Beautiful goat!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Very nice. Thanx for sharing.

Default Awesome Hunt

Awesome hunt and congratulations on your success. Truly is amazing when it all comes together--the planning, preparation, sweat and effort and sharing it all with your family.

Thanx for sharing the photos with all of us and continued success in the future...

Default Congrats

Great to read of a couple out enjoying the wilderness together...even better when there is a successful harvest in the story.

Nice photographs...thanks for posting...

I agree, excellent post. Thanks, What kind of pack are you wearing?.. Ken

Default Pack Info

Arcterex (sp?) Bora 95

Funny story about this pack. I purchased it from REI three years ago down south. I went in there knowing what I was after. They make a Bora 80 or 85, smaller volume pack but identical that they had in stock. The young patchuli scented employee swore I could fit everything I could ever want into that smaller volume pack.

The non-hunting employee got a good lesson on what it takes to travel the backcountry, kill the wildlife, and carry them home. He reluctantly ordered the bigger pack.

It's been a good pack but I've had to reinforce the material on the suspension system. I've also cut off all the extra bells and wistles. There were buckles, snaps, and straps everywhere. I was able to cut off everything to the essentials and save some weight.

I think it's 8,000 cu/in fully expanded. I don't remember exactly.

Kathleen had a Badlands 3,500.
    Last edited by Bighorse; 08-08-2009 at 10:03. Reason: more info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast