Thread: Boating PWS in October

Default Boating PWS in October

After our first summer boating PWS, we're planning a deer hunt in October. We're experienced boaters, but have no experience in these waters in October. Anyone willing to chime in regarding typical conditions (wind/waves) within the sound or on the gulf side during that time of year? I've looked at NOAA historical data, which doesn't look too bad. Thanks, Chris.

Default Be flexible

In my limited (4 year) experience, being flexible with trip timing/duration and destination are the norm as storms can roll in and out quickly. I have had entire weeklong hunts (vacation from work etc.) ruined by weather that moved in quicker than I could ask for changes at work.
    It is a truly beautiful time on PWS and can be wonderful, "BUT"...................can sometimes be quite nasty. What size and type of boat are thinking of using?

Ed

I get my arse whipped at least once every september when gillnetting for silvers so i'd be real careful messing around out in the sound in october. The gulf side is even worse, my buddies that fish the copper river flats for silvers have a lot of nightmare stories, seems like every few years we lose another guy over there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Watch the weather going out and be prepared to get delayed coming back in due to weather.

two anchors. plenty of food and supplies. stay in well protected anchorages. you should be prepared to spend an extra week out there....at least. can be beautiful and wonderful and can be your worse nightmare. nights are longer and in a storm with 60-90 mph winds can be very long night. i always bring my generator and charging cables
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I do my deer hunting in Nov and Dec. Pay attention to all the previous posts. The weather can be REALLY NASTY in the fall in PWS and come up on you VERY fast.

Default Ditto

Ditto to all the above. And when you set your anchor, make sure it's set good. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with your boat banging on the beach or a rock. And keep in mind, the wind can change directions at a moment's notice. You may have gone to sleep in the lee of an island or point, but when the wind changes, you may be in a wind and wave tunnel. Pick out some alternate locations in the daylight in case conditions change after dark. You may have a tough time finding them in the dark, but at least you'll have an idea where you are going. Another thing to remember..... If you anchor up at high tide and seem to be a safe distance from any danger, When the tide drops you'll have more anchor line to swing on and there will be more obstacles sticking up.

Lastly, make sure you have a VHF so you can pick up the latest marine forecast. If it sounds like a blow is coming and you have a deadline to get home, don't wait for the last minute to leave. Go while you have a window. There is always next time.

I met a couple fellows three winters ago in Cordova who were dropped off at a forest service cabin by an air charter. When they were dropped off it was nice and cold and there was near a couple feet of snow on the ground. Perfect conditions for keeping meat. Then a warm front came in with high winds and rain and melted the snow and soaked their meat. Also delayed their pick up by about 10 days. Their meat was so rank they figured they'd lose most of it. And smelling them, they weren't much better than their meat. But at least they were going home.

Buy the cruising PWS book to locate winter anchorage and willowaw info as well as how storm direction affects conditions in a particular anchorage.

I've been deer hunting once in the sound. It was in November. Went out in a 42 sailboat (diesel power) and wound up spending 7 days on the boat praying for the 90+ mph winds to stop. When the finally did, we picked the rest of our party up off the shore and headed back to seward across the gulf in seaswell that I don't ever care to see again in my lifetime! That was the most miserable week of my life. I did however, learn alot that week.