Thread: Steese Hunt

Default Steese Hunt

This is my first year being stationed in Alaska and not being over in the hot sandbox. Can anyone give me any input about how the hunting is along the Steese? I'm looking at the twelve mile summit/table top area. Does this area produce a good opportunity at success? Any info will help.

Default welcome back

I think you need to be aliitle more specific about what you are hunting for
    and are you on foot, wheeler,etc.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well first, welcome back sben been awhile since i have seen ya...

on the steece you can count on company... but that is to be expected on all the roads.... moose are on the up swing since the fire in 04

Bou are still hit or miss during the fall hunt most are taken well back in the hills.... the largest portion of the fall harvest of the herd will come out of the 40 mile the first two days it is open... bears are always around.. look for Griz at or above tree line and more blackies as you get closer to the river ... as the Berry's come on they will be across the hills sides.. when least expected... take you time on them... you will find a nice one... if you look.

the steece is best now for its winter bou hunt.. another mad dash for meat... similar to the forty mile melay...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default More info

I guess I wasn't very specific...apparently I shouldn't drink and make posts. We are planning on going up for caribou hopefully on Sat night/Sunday morning. We will be taking our 4wheelers up and getting off the beaten path on foot. We would like to scout Sunday and be ready Monday when the season opens.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sbenjamin78 View Post
    I guess I wasn't very specific...apparently I shouldn't drink and make posts. We are planning on going up for caribou hopefully on Sat night/Sunday morning. We will be taking our 4wheelers up and getting off the beaten path on foot. We would like to scout Sunday and be ready Monday when the season opens.
    plan several days... and head in... oh and keep an eye on the fire that was up there last week... not much news on it... other then it crossed the road at birch creek...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default steese

I would say there may be a chance for a caribou there will be other people there, ride in and find areas to hike in off the trails that wheelers cant make it to. Try to stay up on ridges as much as you can better hiking.

anybody have any luck? I was in glassing all day sunday and most of the day monday - didn't see a thing. The few groups of hunters I talked to didn't have any luck either.

Hoping the hunt isn't over before I get another chance. Good luck to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    anybody have any luck? I was in glassing all day sunday and most of the day monday - didn't see a thing. The few groups of hunters I talked to didn't have any luck either.

Hoping the hunt isn't over before I get another chance. Good luck to ya!
    maybe i was not clear enough...

99.9 % of the time... the fall steese hunt will close in sept with a tiny amount of bou taken...

the main hunt is in the winter... when the bou actually get there.. the fall hunts are off scattered bou that hung out over here or got lost you will go FAR and WIDE to find bou in the fall on the steece... some are there. not many... SOME

meet on face book here

Its O.K. to make posts on here while you are drinking, most take it with a grain of salt anyway.

Just don't go out there, have a few and let a bull turn into a cow.

Thumbs up Shooting Range

We just got back last night from our hunt up the Steese (Mastodon dome area). It turned out to be a successful hunt. Three of us went up there and all came back with a caribou. I took a cow (meat hunting) and my buddies both took nice bulls. Of course we weren't alone up there...I figure a couple hundred folks. There were people everywhere and were pushing the caribou around the ridges. I suspect the RC860 Zone 1 will be closed in a day or so. We saw just about every ATV with a caribou on it. The weather was kinda crappy, but when you finally get an animal on the ground you forget about the rest. If you have the time, it is definitely worth the trip before they close the season.

good job!!! sounds like you hit it right... that area is known for its hit or miss this time of year..!

meet on face book here

nuts..er I mean good job! Yeah I had some friends that went to eagle summit (haven't heard back from them yet), but I had my son with me and he was fed up with driving by the time we got to montana creek so we just went in there...guess we should have pushed on.

what was the status of the burn section up there?

meet on face book here

Default burn area

the burn areas were covered in fireweed around eagle summit to porcupine creek area, even heard there were several bou shot in fireweed area right off highway. found this liitle guy wandering in the fog .
    Attached Images Attached Images

good job!

looks like I'll have to try in december for my meat hunt bou - the hotline says steese and taylor highway areas close wednesday 8/12 at 2359.

Of course the hotline also says you can find a zone map on the ADFG website...good luck with that.