Thread: railing halibut

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default railing halibut

Garett is railing Toms 90 pound halibut, Tom was using a 12/0 circle with a 20oz dropper rig baited with a salmon belly in 120 feet of water. This halibut fought harder and ran longer than any halibut I ever seen in 20 plus years of catching.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Cool Fish

Sounds like an incredible fight !!! Did he break the surface ? I had a 40 pounder that actually tail walked two times ! I was in 80 feet of water and had a better fight than the 270 lb fish. NICE JOB !!!
    Pick A Spot

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default into backing

I have 235ft 100# tuffline and 100ft of dacron backing, it was near the boat twice and ran out near the surface to the backing twice. No tailwalking, but that would be a site to see.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I had a similar experience of a halibut not acting like a "halibut". We caught a few skates then, as the line was screaming off the reel. 50 yards off the beam there was a huge splashing and thrashing... at first I thought oh f*** it's a salmon shark. It porpised another 35 yards of line, and I realized it was the client's halibut! We got it in the boat and it taped out 180# We were fishing in 55 feet of water with a really strong current. I was amazed! I have seen them jump, and porpise... but not a constant surface fight like that! VERY awesome

I picked up a 110# 'but while trolling for kinds off Anchor Point. Fought like a king, splashed like a silver - On a Lamiglas Kenai Special, Ambassador Reel and 60# Braided. Definitely gave me a run for my money.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed