Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TC can kiss my butt

Default TC can kiss my butt

Well...that covers it.
    Thompson/Center makes inferior products. I am posting to warn all my fellow Alaskans.
    I bought a Pro Hunter in 300 win mag and it will not perform.
    This is junk iron. TC has sent 3 replacement barrels,they would be better as tent stakes.
    Buy ANYTHING else.
    Mark

Can i get more details on the barrel? Blued/stainless, factory or custom loads?

Didn't Colt just buy them a couple of years ago?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

They have been getting a pretty bad rep with a lot of folks.

Try Begara barrels - a couple of places that carry them:
    http://www.bellmtcs.com and http://www.eabco.com/

I like Bellm, he's a friend and does great work, the only other game in town (AFAIK) is Brown. The barrels are getting some good reviews and they are MUCH cheaper. Bellm will re-chamber them and there are some 'smith ready barrels coming out with no chamber IIRC.

Loved the TC's from 70's and even the 80's haven't been happy with them myself lately. I still have several and have a custom .250 Savage AI that is a WONDERFUL barrel on my first contender. The company just isn't the same anymore.

Default Another TC thread from this board

Default 1/2 inch group

My wife just zeroed hers last week, Barnes 180 gr, 1/2 inch 5 shot group at one hundred yards. Hers is the encore not the pro hunter.

Default TC can kiss my butt...

Ya well...the story goes...
    I bought this mail order from Impact Guns...shipped to GNG Tudor..
    Ok, beautiful thing.
    70% of all cartriges fired suffered complete or near case head seperations...
    I thought I had bad ammo, just home brewed stuff..
    Tried Winchester factory stuff...and the pattern went from 3" to 6" and cases still blowing out.
    Second barrel was better, but 2" at 100 yards is still an insult...
    3rd barrel worse than second.
    Now I have requested a 308 barrel so I can re-chamber it to 300 Winnie myself...
    I am completely worn out with TC.
    I have wasted over $300.00 in powder, high end bullets, primers, gas and never got to the point where I arrived at an acceptable loading...
    So...
    If anyone wants a Pro Hunter for $700.00 I will gladly accept the loss and bail.
    You can make a tack driver out of them, but TC can't.
    I did a trigger job, re-sprung with a Mike Bellum Kit, put in an oversized pin...great improvements, but still junk to me.
    I advise all my fellow Alaskans to Boycott TC untill they quit turning out pretty junk and try to actually become " Americas Master Gunsmiths "
    Thanks,
    Mark

Snowshooze, I moved this to the shooting section, since it turned out to be more of a discussion. Re-post an ad in the SnS section if you wish...

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Didn't Colt just buy them a couple of years ago?
    I thought that they were owned by Smith and Wesson, or whoever owns that group.

I have a 223 and 7mm-08 barrel for my encore pistol and they shoot great. Both shoot 1 hole groups at 50 yards with hand loads. I bought them about 4 to 5 years ago. Is the downhill slide in quality a recent problem?

I always wanted to try a bullberry barrel, but the factory ones were doing so well I couldn't justify the extra $$.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I thought that they were owned by Smith and Wesson, or whoever owns that group.
    That sounds right
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

My experiences are quite different. I have both Encore and G2. I am very satisfied with both. I needed new locking lugs for an old contender barrel I bought at a gunshow. They sent them to me free and I had it within a week.

They are owned by S&W now.

Default TC Barrels

Well, I should have realized...
    There are several great companies making first class barrels for TC on the aftermarket.
    I know why now....TC doesn't make a decent barrel.
    This is painfully obvious. Yes I do personally know several TC lovers...and now pay attention when they point out their Bullberry barrel...or mention all the effort they have put into their firearm.
    Again, I criticize TC for their wonderful advertising and lousy product.
    Now mine is a Pro Hunter...recent production, it may be very different than others. And the Blackpowder rifles may be exceptional, there is no chamber to cut there...
    But don't be taken in by the outstanding TC site.
    Be careful if you wish to go with them. I thought the interchangeable barrel system would allow me to shoot 375, 220 Swift, 300 Win, and whatever I wanted accurately and on the cheap.
    Complete quality stand alone bolt rifles are going to offer me greater accuracy for less money and headaches.
    That is what I feel I need to tell my fellow Alaskans.
    Thanks for the comments and advice!
    Mark

Default RE: 1buba

Hey Buba;
    Smith ready barrels? From who?
    Can you direct me?
    If I could make this rifle perform, I would love it.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Well...that covers it.
    Thompson/Center makes inferior products. I am posting to warn all my fellow Alaskans.
    This is junk iron. TC has sent 3 replacement barrels,they would be better as tent stakes.
    Buy ANYTHING else.
    Mark
    I have no knowledge of your firearm. However, based on the fact that you say they have sent you three replacement barrels it appears that they're trying to resolve your problems and that's a good thing.

This time send them your rifle and three tent stakes and have them fire and solve your problems. You may end up a happy TC owner...

Default Test Fire

Hi Marshall;
    Yeah, the last barrel came with the factory proof group, I am certain they were proud of this group as shot from a vise.... 1 7/16" 3 shot.
    Still my old Remington 700 with a Bushnell scope was delivering 3/4" groups consistantly, I would like to see what it would do from a vise, just to see how much of that 3/4" was me.
    I consider myself better than average, but far short of my friends in competition. If I was selling a barrel like the one they sent...aww...I wouldn't send anything like that out my door. I'd be ashamed to claim it. However, TC cuts their chambers in automated production...and the attention to detail is apparent. I wouldn't be suprised if the first human hands to touch this were the UPS driver who threw it in his truck at the hopper feed out of TC
    10-4 to test pattern..
    Thanks for the comment!
    Mark

Hey Buba;
    Smith ready barrels? From who?
    Can you direct me?
    If I could make this rifle perform, I would love it.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Snowshooze,
    it really sounds to me like a headspace issue - if it is (and it sounds like you know this smithin stuff better than me), you won't be able to fix it easily. Maybe the hinge pin is off? I'd suggest a call to Bellm (I call him the hairytic). Tell him I told you to call, he'll still be a bit contrary though. lol

The barrels are from Bergara, they are in Spain, but Ed Shilen has been doing all their consulting. Everything I've heard about them is great and they are a LOT cheaper than TC. I don't know if the smith ready ones are ready yet or not... And now that I look at their site, i may have been mistaken about the TC ones - they look to only have Rem and Savage right now...

Here's Bellm's page on the barrels though.

Oh, missed these:

Just found this on Bellm's site about headspace, had forgotten about the shims. And this one is more of a general about making break actions work. I don't mean to insult you or your skills, so if this is stuff you know and beneath you, please accept my apologies!

Default 1buba

Hey Buba;
    Yeah, the first chamber was .040" clearance over a factory Winchester round...I took a live round and filed off the belt, dropped it in the chamber and it shouldered up at .040" below chamber face... this was of coarse why it was destroying all my brass, and as the cartridge "Balooned" in the chamber upon firing, bullet alignment went out the window.
    This TC problem has led me to a great deal of gunsmithing such as the bedding and trigger job I did. Mike Bellums action kits are great, but I never wanted to become a gunsmith. I wanna grab a rifle and go shooting or hunting, maybe a couple trips to the range just to dial in and find a load the rifle likes. This foolishness has consumed a great deal of time and money better spent hunting. I also wiped out a gob of brand new Winchester brass.
    By the way, the trigger job I did was great. I over did it a bit and have a parka squirrel trigger...very light, but so smooth and clean it would make you cry. I didn't like it at the start, but the key is do not touch that trigger until you are just about ready to shoot. I now have decided I really like that part. So far as the rifle going off on target, I feel the light trigger, smooth as it is, has eliminated the pull off caused by both feet being firmly placed against the wall to fire it before, and the creep-creep and never fire feel is history.
    Thanks for the response!
    Mark

Well...that covers it.
    Buy ANYTHING else.
    Mark

You had one barrel with excess headspace. The rest are accuracy problems. Are you capable of shooting 1/2" groups? Are your mounts and scope up to the task. What other rifle of similar caliber do you have that you have shot 1/2" groups with? Or even 1" groups. It does seem TC is trying to solve the barrel problem yet you choose to condemn them.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast