Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Valdez trip

  1. #1
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default Valdez trip

    Took a few days to make a trip to Valdez because we really love that little town. I took my old beater truck camper, which is only 8 feet long, and a tow trailer to carry our stuff. Along with my wife we took my 8-year-old, my two grandkids (6, 9), and last minute, my 21 year old son decided to tag along. Where to put them all?! Well, I made my oldest bring a tent!
    We made it to Lake Louise the first night, and spent a wonderful evening there just hanging out. It rained hard after dark, and by morning the rain was gone, but the smoke from FBX had moved in thick! We broke camp and headed toward Valdez with my poor little asthmatic grandson wheezing under a wet dishtowel. Our favorite campground in Thompson Pass was closed, so we descended into Valdez to find fog. We played around on the port side of the bay and let the boys catch humpies 'til they were tired of it, then went to get a camping place at Bear Creek RV. It was $25 for no hook-ups! We cooked humpy, and afterward, the boys biked while we looked for salmon berries. Not much.

    And then it began to rain, and it did so HARD all night and into the next day. Poor son in tent was soaked. Small kids were bored. We decided to make another quick exit and headed back toward Glenallen.

    On the way we had lunch at a beautiful place in the pass, then worked our way back toward Lake Loise road. Smoke was gone, and weather was nice. We found a wonderful camping place at a little pothole lake called Elbow Lake (mile 11.5). It was great weather and we all had a wonderful time canoeing, berry picking and hanging out by the fire. No fish in the lake even though it had a sign saying there was, but no problem.

    Slept in the next day, and then leisurely broke camp to head home. Stopped in Eureka area to pick more berries, and got some, though not lots. Now in Eagle River at daughter's before making our way back to Slowdotna. Start work next week.

  2. #2

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    And then it began to rain, and it did so HARD all night and into the next day. Poor son in tent was soaked. Small kids were bored. We decided to make another quick exit and headed back toward Glenallen.
    (
    Why does this bring back some of my fondest memories of Valdez?
    Sounds like you had a good time though and that is all that counts.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default Yeah, good time

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Why does this bring back some of my fondest memories of Valdez?
    Sounds like you had a good time though and that is all that counts.
    We've owned some larger class A s, and a tow trailer, but I am enjoying this little truck camper as much or more than the other RVs because it is more like real camping, and not home away from home.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    106

    Default Nice camper

    I recognize your rig, I think I saw you pass thru palmer? Maybe.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •