Thread: Chugach National Forest & State Park shooting form road

Default Chugach National Forest & State Park shooting form road

I thought I'd post some info for all to see after considerable effort to find it. In the Chugach state park you must be 1/2 mile off the road to hunt with a firearm. In the Chugach national forest you must be 1 mile from any camp ground or trail head (not trail, but trail head). There is no specified distance off the road or a trail in order to discharge a firearm while hunting in the Chugach national forest.

Brett

st park info from their website

nat forest info from phone conversation with forest ranger

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

also keep in mind... unit 13 Denali STATE park.... 1/4 mile from the road... for any weapon... there is only about 30-35 miles of Parks Hwy in the STATE park... ( not to be confused with Denali National park) but the boundary is poorly marked. basically start looking for it around the Chilutna river up through about 168 mile or so... ( i have seen it so often i forget)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Yeah, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    There is no specified distance off the road or a trail in order to discharge a firearm while hunting in the Chugach national forest.
    Page 18 of the Alaska Hunting Regulations state:

You MAY NOT take game by:

• Shooting on, from, or across the drivable surface of any constructed road or highway.

So, if you're considering road hunting, think twice.

Oh good lord!! No I did not mean that you can shoot from (on or any other way you want to word it) a road. However as long as you are off the road and shooting in a safe direction without being 1 mile or less from a campsite or trail head you are ok in Chugach national forrest. In other words 10 yards off the road is as legal as 10 miles off the road.

Brett

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Iron sights.. you know road hunting is a viable way to find moose in ak... there are just some stretches you may not shoot from the shoulder on.. and others.;( like your yard) that require common sence...many moose are take off the side of the road every year.. espessally in units 13 and 14... as well up here in 20

Quote Originally Posted by ironsights View Post
    Page 18 of the Alaska Hunting Regulations state:

You MAY NOT take game by:

• Shooting on, from, or across the drivable surface of any constructed road or highway.
    So, if you're considering road hunting, think twice.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Oh good lord!! No I did not mean that you can shoot from (on or any other way you want to word it) a road. However as long as you are off the road and shooting in a safe direction without being 1 mile or less from a campsite or trail head you are ok in Chugach national forrest. In other words 10 yards off the road is as legal as 10 miles off the road.

Brett
    The title of the post said "shooting form road" which I took to mean "shooting from the road." Sorry for taking words at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Iron sights.. you know road hunting is a viable way to find moose in ak... there are just some stretches you may not shoot from the shoulder on.. and others.;( like your yard) that require common sence...many moose are take off the side of the road every year.. espessally in units 13 and 14... as well up here in 20
    I know lots and lots of people do it. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I have a hard time believing anyone is going to scare up a moose in their truck, jump out with a rifle, then conscientiously make sure they're off the road before they shoot as the moose is running away. I'm sure some do, but my gut says it's a law that gets about as much respect among road hunters as speed limits on Chena Hot Springs Road do.

well i don't mind road hunters as long as they pull over to let folks by... i have had reasonable good luck with it over the years too... back when i was on crutches and could not "hike"

heck watched a 65 inch bull get hunted right out side Eielson AFB few years back... CHP cruising the ponds in the am and Eve? there are places that repeat every year. ... you can cover a lot of miles slowly and call from areas as well..

i cant remember how many folks i have helped haul one out of the ditch. either...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by ironsights View Post
    The title of the post said "shooting form road" which I took to mean "shooting from the road." Sorry for taking words at face value.
    Why would you take my word at face value when I can't even get the title of the post right! I saw the form instead of from right after I posted it! Perhaps a more poiniant wording would have been "Chugach National Forrest & State Park hunting from the road system".

Brett

UPDATE ON RULES:

This morning trooper Mark Kloward (sp?) returned a message I left for him this week. He confirmed that all you must do is leave the maintained road and shoot in a safe direction. He did however deny any such rule exsisted about being 1 mile away from any camp site or trail head. He said that was only a suggestion and not a rule. The gentleman I spoke to yesterday from the forrest service said nothing about it being a suggestion. Anyway Mark said it was a suggestion and that if it were a rule and it's not he himself would have broken it many a time. I hope this clears things up to some degree.

Good hunting!

Brett

Default Brett....

Regardless of how some may perceive your wording, I think most of us got the point.

Thanks for putting forth the effort and posting the info.

Jason

Default Fed Lands

Brett ... don't confuse State Lands and enforcement with Fed Lands and enforcement.

Different laws and rules apply.

In fact each National Forest (and each Ranger District within) can have different rules and laws regarding shooting as well as seasons and what and what cannot can be hunted.

Check locally where you plan on hunting. You can even get different / conflicting info on a local level.

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    Regardless of how some may perceive your wording, I think most of us got the point.
    Thanks for putting forth the effort and posting the info. Jason

DITTO......X 2 Brett, You did Good. Thank you.

Thanks for the post.

All,

Your welcome. I figured it would be useful since I have no idea how many times I've seen these questions asked in the last few months.

"You can even get different / conflicting info on a local level."

I'll agree to agree on that one!!! I think it has less to do with regulation and more to do with no one knowing what the heck's going on!!!

Brett