Thread: Cottonwood creek technique

Default Cottonwood creek technique

Every time i go to cottonwood creek, i see people snagging to get their limit.

I was wondering if if is possible that the fish will actually bite besides being snagged.

I heard the fish will take salmon eggs.

I am just not into snagging fish.

-Zach

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post

I was wondering if if is possible that the fish will actually bite besides being snagged.

-Zach
    The reds (it has always been a snagging fishery) never did take eggs but the silvers used to. That was before it became popular, but not anymore, too many people there. After the fish get spooked from people, there is no way they are going to bite. Your best bet is to fish in the silty water on the incoming tide in the trench. Cast out to the middle and let it sink to the bottom and wait for a bite. This same technique will also work on Rabbit Slough, Fish Creek and the slough along the Knik above the Railroad Track. They smell the roe in the muddy water.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Since I haven't fished there in years I'm not up on current regs. If eggs are still allowed, for me that was the ticket. I used no weight and had great results as the tide was turning and coming in. I would fish just a couple feet off the rod tip..no need to cast in such a narrow stream and I liked to fish the inland side of the creek. Just move along quietly and watch for fish wakes. Advice is for silvers...hard to catch a red there without snagging. Only reason I don't fish there any more is that I'm independently poor and cheap to boot. Can get silvers closer to home...but I always had a good time there. GLTU

haven't fished there since I was in high school but then a black leach or egg sucking leach would work between four AM and like 7 but as soon as it got light the fish would stop biting. haven't fished there since the regs changed for this reason. Same with fish creek.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

hehe YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!! got my first ticket there at age 12....

you got it.. SNAGGING!!! he was cool took me home to dad with warning ticket...

of course that was the last time i stood ON Fairview Loop to do it

i am surprised there are any fish left in that creek all the water deflection that has happened to it with all the building on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post

-Zach
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

then find a new species to fish for

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jfisk375 View Post
    then find a new species to fish for
    Or.....take a few friends and post some "lookouts".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Or.....take a few friends and post some "lookouts".
    Judging by the size of this creek, why not just bring along a six foot cast net and have your friends "watch out"???

http://img136.imageshack.us/i/001puf.jpg/

I've fished it and seen both blatant snagging as well as those who soak bait on the bottom. Last time I was out there, a couple weeks or so ago, I heard a loud whining that pierced the air, of a dog seemingly being attacked by something. It was a wild nest of disturbed bees. My cousin and I learned of it when we were hiking to a good spot and were warned about all the bees that are in the bushes. I felt so sorry for the dog, wondering if he'd live. So be careful out there.

Flossing is a great technique for that creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Flossing is a great technique for that creek.
    +1 Or eggs if you want to relax

I like to float a small fly,(just the cheap ones @ Sportsmans) about 12 inches above a couple splitshots.

Ya know I have been fishing there almost every weekend since the reds starting coming in. The reds you have to be able to feel the line in their mouths. I watched and said something to a guy a cpl weeks ago after he landed one in the fin-mouth. He looked at me, shrugged and walked off. Eggs during high tide work best for the silvers there. Although I have had great luck drifting my leftover RR flies. Then again I rarely fish the clear water anymore. If fishing the clear water you HAVE to there right at 6am on Sat and get your limit early, cause after that the schools just run up and down the creek.