Thread: Rl 17

Question Rl 17

I am going to reload some rounds for my 350 Griffin & Howe with the new RL 17 powder and was wondering what would be a good starting point since their is really no data available. Plus their is really no data for the 350 Griffin & Howe either. So if anybody out their has some info or possible starting point for the RL 17 I would be greatful.

Sorry, I've packed up my notebooks and manuals. and I'm getting old.....I suffer from CRS.

If you have loaded it with H4350 you can use the same charge to start and go up one grain at a time until you reach the velocity you had before and work around that each way. I'm not going to be much help until I get my notes un packed in another state, a couple of months. I actually prefer working with H4350 over RL-17.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've got a magazine that had a write up on RL17 that had some burn rate comparisons you could use to interpolate with. That magazine is down in my shop, I will try and remember to grab it and post the chart info for you. If I remember correctly they got the burn rate info from Alliant.

I used it to see where it was in relation to RL15 and RL19 so I could interpolate with those powders in the load books to come up with a starting load with the RL17.

I have worked up loads with RL17 for my 7mm-08 and got amazing velocity and no pressure signs, with good accuracy. I am now trying to work up a load for 338-06 180 gr Nosler BTips for speed and accuracy with RL17.

Murphy has given you a good plan to use also.

I have only used IMR 4350 for reloading the 350 G&H. Ozarks thanks and I'll be watching for you to post the comparison chart/info. Thanks

Also thanks Murphy and are you going to stay a member of the forum when you move?

Default RL 17 burn rate

The article on RL17 was in the Oct 08 Handloader magazine. Page 26, titled "Alliant's Reloader 17" by R.H. VanDenburg, Jr. The article states that Alliant bases the chart rating on a value system with Bullseye having a value of 100 as a base.
    The chart in the article lists as follows:
    RL 7: 19.4
    RL 10X: 16.9
    RL 15: 13.7
    RL 17: 12.5
    RL 19: 11.3
    RL 22: 11.1
    RL 25 10.5

Hope this helps you. I have used the chart to come up with starting loads for RL17 when no data was available by interpolating between other powders in the chart that I did have data on for that caliber and it worked fine.

I agree with Murphy, and have found that RL17 is close to H4350 in pressure but better in velocity. I have heard and read precious little about the 350 Griffin & Howe. You might try calling Alliant and asking their opinion.

-MR

Is it just me or does it seem like its taking Alliant a long time to come out with good data on RL17? Usually a powder supplier has more data out to keep people from blowing themselves up, seems like they would want to protect themselves a bit more than this.