Thread: Ivishak?

Question Ivishak?

Has anyone run the Ivishak or even know if the water is high enough to run?

Yes, you can run it in a jet on most years. Water can drop fast when it gets cold. An airboat is a better choice IMO.

Default reply

What would your take be for this weekend for an inboard jet with a plastic bottom. I have a jetcraft white water.

Launch is very very shallow....

rivers are low very, little rain this year up here
    gage at ps 3 http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...0,7,8,2,9,15,6

on low times i've run it just fine in my 14 footer with uhmw bottom and very litttle contact i can run in 3-4 inches easily and less this year might be the lowest yet though. it has cooled down 45 today and here at work a very small amount of rain at night but not much. have not herad of any in mtns and water gage not changing any.
    worse spot is usually from mile 50 launch to main channel on sag.
    on ivashak after you get to high bluffs and start to move away it braids out and in shallow water times can get interesting usually main channel is to right side initially
    try searches of sag river in photobucket videos and you tube . youtube will show most of way from s curve that is almost to main channel back to almost the launch photobucket gives repeative views of me going thru s curve that has about 3 inches of water
    last year out of s curve you wanted to hang to the left side of the big wide areayou come out into
    no idea about this year......hopefully that whole braid is even still there. could easily disappear after ice moves things around.

laker taker- did you wade it?? how deep
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 08-07-2009 at 22:03. Reason: ? for laker taker
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I talked to a buddy that was up there this past week. He did not give me an actual depth at the launch but he did say it was the lowest he had ever seen it. I am heading up there on Monday with my boat to give it a try. Hopefully it rains.....

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmanut View Post
    I have a jetcraft white water.
    You would not want to take a Jetcraft Whitewater up there after a monsoon. Too much boat for too little river. Unless you are talking Whitewater J-max then go for it although the 12° bottom is not going to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I talked to a buddy that was up there this past week. He did not give me an actual depth at the launch but he did say it was the lowest he had ever seen it. I am heading up there on Monday with my boat to give it a try. Hopefully it rains.....
    The water was basically non-existent at the launch last week but it has been raining/snowing for the last few days. Rained so hard Sunday that I had to have the wipers on high speed.

looks like it came up about 5 inches since before recent rain but last night lost an inch or more @ the PS#3 gauge
    http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I ran it in a lowe with a jet. I wouldn't take your boat up there.

mtnanut- well did you try it? any reports
    Sag. water levels are up was up 9-10 inches from what it was7-10 days ago but has dropped 2 again in last day or so. these levels are no worse than last 2 years, probably braid that the launch goes into has changed. heading that way in 4 days for a month

This morning I heard water is low and several boats up there w/ the bottoms tore up pretty good...ouch
    Anyone have any more current info?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Plenty of water to run safely, if you know what you are doing. You'll definately want some experience running if you don't want to risk beating your boat up though.

We were up last week and took my jet boat up the river twice. River level was normal but normal is low. We were one of 3 jets to make it up the river. I busted a chunk of my foot another boat like mine had a hole in it when it got back but nothing big. We watched at least 4 different jets make it about 2 miles and turn back around one was a too big of a boat with too much of a load. He cut a big hole in his boat. It is the most challenging river I have ever run and even though it cost me my foot on my jet i'll be back next year.

Default See ya.....

there next year.....This year was a blast.......we went about 30 miles up and only got stuck a few times.