Thread: Grumman 19 motor choice.

Question Grumman 19 motor choice.

Hi, I am a Florida boater so I donít have raging rivers and I have never seen a rock in the Florida mud. No to say that I will only stay in Florida but that is my main area of boating. Flat water rivers and lakes in the winter. During the summer I usually visit other rivers and lakes in Michigan and the Grumman is a heck of a lot easier to tow than my 26 foot sailboat. I have a Grumman 19 square stern and I am looking into motors. I want to be able to travel about 10 to 15 mph with about 800 lbs of people, dog, motor, gas, and camping gear. I am looking at the Tohatsu 6 hp. I have a 9.8 on my sailboat but it has a 25 inch shaft and is way too long for the grumman. Is 10 mph possible with a 6hp motor? Does anyone there have experience with a Grumman 19 using a 6hp 4 stroke? What can I expect? I really like the Tohatsu because my 9.8 has been very dependible and was bought new at a great (low) price.

Default motor size

motor size is like "" a%&"" an every one has one, any small motor will work for you, it is all in the weight on the back, the lighter the better, if you are not going long distance with it an it sounds like you are not, so any small motor will work you don't even worry about sheer pin for the prop like some of us in Alaska do, any yhing from 5 to 15 will work it is all in the weight an cost, so enjoy

Before I picked up the 15hp I am running now I used a sixties model 6hp Merc on my Grumman. Still have that motor, still use it sometimes and still manage to get upstream on mild rivers with it.

Sid's post on weight was spot on.

Personally, I would trade speed for reliability anyday.

Scotty

Question

Hi Coldfingers,

What kind of speed does the 6hp get the Grumman up to? I used a 6hp on my sailboat and it topped out at about 7 mph but there is about a 2000 pound difference in boats. If I could get 10 mph with a 6hp on my Grumman 19 I would be very happy. I am torn between the 4 and 6 hp. I just dont want to buy a 4 hp and wish I would have gone for a 6 hp. I think I would just be wasting my money on a 9.8 to use in Florida and even Michigan.

Default Motor

motor size = speed, if you have a 6 HP or can borrow one put it on an try it out with a GPS unit, the more weight the slower you go, if you are torn up between a 4 or 6 HP you will probley be happer with the larger motor an don't run wide open, 90% of the time you won't need it but the other 10% you will be glad you have it , make sure you get a motor that has a Reverse built in not one that has to be rotated 180 DEG. ,an get a tiller handle extenation a lot easier on your back after a long day playing with the canoe they are cheep, don't get the one that flexes ,I don't think it works as well on the canoe an get the long one if you don't like it you can cut it off to the size you want

MY 2 CTS
    SID

Smile Thanks

I like the advice and plan to use it. As I get older, I have found that it is better to ask questions, think twice, and buy once. I find it is much easier on the wallet than to think once and buy twice. Too bad it took me 48 years to figure that out. Thanks again.

Bill, Sid has the answer. Biggest motor you can afford. Better to have the power and not need it than NEED it and not have it . Easier on the motor and feul if you are not running full bore all the time too.

Good Luck and enjoy your Grumman.

scotty

Bill,

I know a tohatsu dealer who will ship you a lower short shaft kit for your 9.8. It's pretty simple and straight forward. It costs about $350 before shipping. then.....you could use that motor on your freighter.

Default Made my choice.

Thanks for the info but I still need my extralong (25 inch) shaft motor for my sailboat. I called the Grumman factory today and they said they did not build this transom lift. My boat was built in 2000 with a standard 15in tall transom. It now is 21 inches and solid as heck. I think it actually looks good with the raised rear sloping forward. They suggested a 20 inch shaft motor as well. All I want to do is take my son fishing on saturdays and some weekend camping on the Suwannee River. I love my sailboat but it is way too much work to rig and launch for one day. I just want to keep my son outside and away from video games. I have decided on the 3.5 hp longshaft Tohatsu. I just want a nice ride and low maintenance. I dont think I would ever need a 6hp on it here in Florida and it would be wasted money. I found a web site with a Grumman 19 set up exactly the way I would like to do mine. http://www.rivercityoutfitters.net/AboutCanoe.htm He uses them on the Mississippi. He has a 2hp honda on his. I dont like air cooled outboards since it is very hot here in FL. The 3.5 hp Tohatsu is water cooled.

Thumbs up 9.9 Merc

I have a lift on mine and run a 9.9 Merc Short Shaft with a Rock Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
    Hi, I am a Florida boater so I donít have raging rivers and I have never seen a rock in the Florida mud. No to say that I will only stay in Florida but that is my main area of boating. Flat water rivers and lakes in the winter. During the summer I usually visit other rivers and lakes in Michigan and the Grumman is a heck of a lot easier to tow than my 26 foot sailboat. I have a Grumman 19 square stern and I am looking into motors. I want to be able to travel about 10 to 15 mph with about 800 lbs of people, dog, motor, gas, and camping gear. I am looking at the Tohatsu 6 hp. I have a 9.8 on my sailboat but it has a 25 inch shaft and is way too long for the grumman. Is 10 mph possible with a 6hp motor? Does anyone there have experience with a Grumman 19 using a 6hp 4 stroke? What can I expect? I really like the Tohatsu because my 9.8 has been very dependible and was bought new at a great (low) price.

I have a old 9.9 merc on my 17, just extend the transom and run your tohatsu. EZ to do.
    ďNothing worth doing is easyĒ
    TR

Default 19 ft grumman remote steering

Have you heard of anyone putting a remote steering set up on a 19 ft grumman freighter? I am putting a 15 hp Honda short shaft with remote steering at the front seat on it and would like to hear the pros and cons.

Default sorry for so late; Sept was crazy

15 hp 2-stroke, EOS. Same weight (when I had mine) as the 9.8. Tiller w/ handle extension and a lift; you can stand up and operate nicely. Have something for the front; you'll need 150-200 lbs up there. I just met 2 guys on a river who had 25 hp Mercs on their 19' Grumms, and said they weigh 160 lbs! Had a lift, too. I have no idea how they made it anywhere, but they had less free board that a gnat has nuts. Old motors, old guys, and the leader said he'd been running them for years, just fine. As for remote steering, that's prolly been answered in other threads, above. The biggest thing I see is having a battery to raise the lift, if you have one; may not really need a lift w/ a jet pump, but then you'd have to buy my 25 hp, 105 lb Yam for the jet.... ha ha. Good luck.