Thread: What is your latest Haul Road hunt?

Default What is your latest Haul Road hunt?

I am looking at a first time hunt but can't go until the third week of September. I am curious about how late it is still huntable without rut? My suspicion is that it will be close... but I don't know What do you think?

Default Haul rd

Should be fine. I really like to go the last week of Sept. as the ground can be frozen and makes for nice walking. Can be tough getting in bow range because they are grouped up and lots of eyes makes stalking difficult. I've had no problems with the meat being uneatable, it has been excellent but I have only shot smaller 2-3 year old bulls at this time. I say go for it.

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    Should be fine. I really like to go the last week of Sept. as the ground can be frozen and makes for nice walking. Can be tough getting in bow range because they are grouped up and lots of eyes makes stalking difficult. I've had no problems with the meat being uneatable, it has been excellent but I have only shot smaller 2-3 year old bulls at this time. I say go for it.
    Thanks for the encouraging post. This will be my first archery hunt and first haul road hunt. I will be with a friend who hunted in August last year and had similar results to what I am reading in the current reports.... few caribou and lots of pressure.

I am really looking forward to this adventure. Again, thanks.

Ed

be prepared for very cold weather, have winter camo
    mid sept years ago blizzard, river icing up ....few bou and we baled next morning.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Sept huh

I go up 2-4 times a year for 4-10 days at a time. I absolutely love it up there after i get away from the hoards of hunters. In my experiences in Sept. I have seen it in the 70's then a high of 38 the very next day, so be prepared for that as you may want snow cammo.

I agree as far as the meat goes. Never had any bad meat, all delicious!

Good luck
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

How's the meat in the first week of October? Is it getting a bit risky to shoot a bull by then? I'm thinking of going up then so I can get a cow for meat, which is more of a sure thing, but it would be nice to be able to try for a nice bull if I see one.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Default October Caribou Rut

Don't know about Haul Road area but in most areas of state October is the month for the caribou rut. That is the reason a lot of areas are closed at this time. I would suspect that by early October the larger mature bulls are going to be a little rutty up north. So what do you do if you harvest one? You can't eat it, no way! I believe it is fit for dog food as I know the guides out of Lake Clark area give rutty caribou away to dog team owners in the villages. Is this legal? Any dog team owners north of Fairbanks interested in this possibility?