Thread: Kings River

Default Kings River

Has anyone been up to Kings River lately? Looking for trail conditions.

I was up there a few weeks ago. It was dusty and the river was VERY high. The trails get much better after you get back a few miles.

up there last weekend, real rocky first 7 miles but not bad.

Default yesterday

I rode it for the first time yesterday 8-8-09. First few miles of wide trail was cake. Next few miles were pretty rocky, but easily passable with some patience and route planning. Still, I was very happy I was scraping my aluminum skid plates and not my frame/ A-arms. After the rocky section, really nice riding above treeline. All the potential mud holes were very easy.

I rode back in about 12 miles at which point the main trail seems to end and overlooks a mountain canyon and several smaller trails split off in different directions. I went up a very steep side trail that cuts back towards the direction where the main trail comes up. Can anyone tell me where that steep side trail ends up? Also, is that point about 12 miles in really the end of the main trail? Is there a trail that continues on (down into that large river valley) from there?

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    I rode it for the first time yesterday 8-8-09. First few miles of wide trail was cake. Next few miles were pretty rocky, but easily passable with some patience and route planning. Still, I was very happy I was scraping my aluminum skid plates and not my frame/ A-arms. After the rocky section, really nice riding above treeline. All the potential mud holes were very easy.

I rode back in about 12 miles at which point the main trail seems to end and overlooks a mountain canyon and several smaller trails split off in different directions. I went up a very steep side trail that cuts back towards the direction where the main trail comes up. Can anyone tell me where that steep side trail ends up? Also, is that point about 12 miles in really the end of the main trail? Is there a trail that continues on (down into that large river valley) from there?
    The main trail is the Permanente trail, it goes off to the right before you start climbing up to the lake and crosses the Kings river, it's shown on topo maps. It's easy to not see 'cus there's a large "home made" sign that says "Trail" for the one you went on up to the lake. There's a much smaller brown Permanente trail sign nailed to a tree at the intersection.