Thread: PWS Silvers - How far have they moved.

Default PWS Silvers - How far have they moved.

Last weekend there were reports of the silvers moving around Knight Island and in the Main Bay area. Does anyone have any more current reports on how far they have moved. Any fish at Pigot Point Yet? Western Perry ?
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    Last weekend there were reports of the silvers moving around Knight Island and in the Main Bay area. Does anyone have any more current reports on how far they have moved. Any fish at Pigot Point Yet? Western Perry ?
    I was out today friday doing some bug catching and when i went by pigot on the way out and on the way in no boats were fishing it. Talked to one of the cost recovery seiners inside of hatchery bay on ester island and he said he hasn't caught a silver yet in there so i guess those hatchery fish aren't showing yet. Not many humpies in there either.
    Bug fishing was good , i ended up with about 36lbs of tails out of 3 two hour soaks.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

There is some next to whittier harbor. You didn't hear it from me lol.

Default 12 each pull

12 pounds per pull - of Tails....that is pretty good!

Default PWS Silvers

The closest I know there was silvers to Whitter was the SW corner of Perry Island - anyone else have any updates?
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

I didn't try close in, but they were still at the north end of Crafton Island on Saturday.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default 2 hours out

there were pinks jumping but we didnt see silvers until 2 hours at ruffly 27kts. we were fishing rock fish caught (12) and just happened to get 1,2,3,4,5,6 silvers. we even picked up three halibut in 40' of water. my daughter was watching the herring over the side of the boat and saw the halibut come up and grab her line, biggest 38" fish of the day she'll tell yu!

i dont know how fast silvers move but my guess is that in a couple few days they will be in main bay. There wasnt hardly any parking left in whitter, i know that!! that place sucks for accomodations! the tides are down in the morning which leaves space for 3 mayebe four boats, and then add a 20 min. walk up to the begich tower area where you get to park, and now you have a boat jam! even at 9:30 at night we were the third boat back just to get on the dock to start the walk to the trailor in the upper parking lot. it is nice they have 3 docks now, the single one at the harbor office runs out of water still, but is still good for inflateables.

I heard the old mayor bought all that area that is charged parking then closed off the overnight area down at the beach where the kyakers launch from. they even have a kyaker launch fee sign posted now at the beach!
    I am serious about the parking being so bad that there were trucks and trailers parked on the road that goes up to the upper camping lot.

We saw alot of charters headed out to montegue way early in the a.m. , but we werent up to rowing back when we ran out of gas, so we let em go on there own, didnt hear anything on the radio about main bay but that doesnt mean anything as loose lips sink ships. I dont go every weekend and cant really afford a $35 tunnel fee $20 launch $10 park $170 boat gas $35 vehicle $30 food $25 boat oil expense.

What did i miss there?
    It was worth every penny!! It was our 17th Anniversary!! 8+5 yr old girls enjoyed it just as much, 14 hrs on the boat, good fishing, sunny flat water. Cant wait to go again but need a bigger boat!!!!

Default Crafton Island Fish Have Moved?

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I didn't try close in, but they were still at the north end of Crafton Island on Saturday.
    Several boats today showed up at Cafton Is and were NOT getting hardly any fish. Do not know where they moved to - But were not there in the qtys like they have been in the past.
    Anyone else have any updates?