Thread: Our Alaska Fishing Report and Thanks

Default Our Alaska Fishing Report and Thanks

We hit Alaska July 18th and spent two weeks having a great time. Fished Resurrection Creek, White Water Rafted Six Mile Creek, drifted the Kenai, Fished Quartz Creek and Peters Creek, flew into and hike the Russian, and had a great time at the Forks Roadhouse.

The weather could of been better, but could have been much worse. The wind cancelled our crossing Skilak Lake and hiking to Skilak Glacier, but everything else went as planned.

The fishing was fantastic, saw Moose, Bear, Eagles, and Seals. Other then one set of stitiches, just some scrapes and bumps, we all returned safely.

My thanks to the membes of this site. Some of you answered questions or gave advice directly, and many of you provided input with your own posts.

Max Finch of Alaskacanoetrips.com in Sterling, not only rented us our rafts and boat, but also provided input as we planned the trip and prepared to fish and was a great asset.

highadventureair.com handled our flight into the Upper Russian for the Second Time. They are great people and also provided a great deal of input as we planned this trip.

Mick and the "River Wolf" went with us on the Kenai Drift to try and prevent us from looking too stupid, none of us drown, and we caught some great fish. Just wanted to clarify, Mick is not a charter, just a fellow outdoorsman that wanted to help us enjoy our trip.

I know you live there and put up with us "Tourists" routinely, but we were treated well everywhere we went. This was the first time to Alaska for the other eight guys and it was a trip they will never forget, it was another trip I will never forget, thank you and I hope you have time to watch the videos.

markandchrislundin.com.......on the fishing page.

P.S....will be back nest year.

Thumbs up

Awesome report.

Sounds like ya'll packed a lotta fun into those 2 weeks!

2 years in a row now you've hit that area pretty hard, you do know there is a lot of the State that is off the road system that can be accessed on a budget? Just some food for thought for next summer.

Post some pics if you have the time, and congratulations on a great adventure!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thanks 2paws, great report and very courteous of you to say a word of thanks for the advise provided here.

Good looking website you have also. The accounts, pics and videos of your trip are great. Thanks also for the links to the outfits that helped you out.

- Jay

Default Let the rainbows live!!!

Glad you had a great visit. Please don't kill so many rainbows next time you come up. Please do come again, and enjoy our great state some more!

Nine guys, 14 days, we killed 5 Pinks, 21 Reds and 19 rainbows, of which 4 or 5 were unintentional and no Grayling, as I just didn't care for the taste of them last time I was up. We ate all that we kept with the exception of the Reds. We ate some of the Reds and will be eating some later after they are smoked. I think we were pretty mindful of the resources.

Nothing wrong with a few for the table. That's why they have limits, no?
    Even if his group were fishing the Upper Kenai for thos 14 days they would be well under there limit, which by my account would have been 126, 16" or smaller Bow's during there trip. To admonish some one on an open forum for legally harvesting a few fish for the table is, well, just not very nice now is it?

By the way, looks like a blast!!!
    I especially like the RV.
    And the tarp as big a a football field!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Nothing wrong with a few for the table. That's why they have limits, no?
    Even if his group were fishing the Upper Kenai for thos 14 days they would be well under there limit, which by my account would have been 126, 16" or smaller Bow's during there trip. To admonish some one on an open forum for legally harvesting a few fish for the table is, well, just not very nice now is it?

By the way, looks like a blast!!!
    I especially like the RV.
    And the tarp as big a a football field!!!
    Well said Dave and my thoughts exactly. I stated the same thing to 2paws in a PM. If its legal eat them up if that is your pleasure.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I don't mind Talcub's position, I'll take over protective over don't care every time.
    Thank you for the support

I didn't want to sound like too much of an ass when I made the post but I would have asked the same of them had I seen them in person. I just don't think the rainbows can take much more pressure than they get already, especially in the road accessable streams. Take your limits of salmon and enjoy catching the rainbows. If you get one that you are pretty sure won't make it deffinitly cook 'em up. It looks like you had a great time and I do hope you get to come back and do it again.

It's funny you mention pressure. We fished for 14 days, two of which were driting the Kenai River. It's Salmon season and we saw lots of fisherman on the Kenai, but we fished four other streams and after we walked in past those initial fishermen on two, in 12 days of fishing all day, we never saw another two legged fisherman.

2007, when we came up, pretty much the same thing.

I sometimes think about coming up a little later in the year, since we really don't target Salmon. I think the trout fishing might be a little better, except I wonder if there may be a lot more peole targeting trout at that time.

Am going to do the Kenai Penn., one more time. A couples trip next year, bringing my wife. I think then I will look to Kodiak or the interior.

I don't mind other fisherman, but I do enjoy the solitude. I hope you stick around Alcub, you sound like a trout fisherman, and I always appreciate the extra input.