Thread: Brooks Range weather...

Default Brooks Range weather...

Looks pretty good after Sunday....

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/zonefcst.php?zone=206

Updated 10:45 08/07/2009

AKZ206 - Northern Slopes of the Brooks Range East of the Colville River Printer Friendly
    FPAK51PAFG_AKZ206
    -----------------
    AKZ206-080515-
    NORTHEASTERN BROOKS RANGE-
    INCLUDING...ANAKTUVUK PASS...ATIGUN PASS...GALBRAITH LAKE...
    SAGWON...FRANKLIN BLUFFS
    745 AM AKDT FRI AUG 7 2009
    .TODAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 60 TO 70. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN
    15 MPH.
    .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 45 TO 50. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN
    15 MPH.
    .SATURDAY...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS
    AROUND 55. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.
    .SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH RAIN LIKELY. LOWS AROUND 35.
    EAST WINDS AROUND 15 MPH.
    .SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHS
    AROUND 35. EAST WINDS AROUND 15 MPH.
    .SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW
    SHOWERS. LOWS 30 TO 35
    .MONDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS NEAR 60.
    .MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 40.
    .TUESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS NEAR 60.
    .TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 45.
    .WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS NEAR 60.
    .WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 40.
    .THURSDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS NEAR 60.

&&
    TEMPERATURE / PRECIPITATION
    ANAKTUVUK PASS 68 48 55 / 0 0 50

$$
    Derived from FPAK51PAFG - Updated 10:45 08/07/2009

Default Smoke

I just called into Coldfoot......it's looking to be really bad and this trip might come down to the wire. I don't know if I should fly into FBKS and try and drive the Haul rd. in these conditions.

Default weather

My buddy drove up yesterday and got into deadhorse at 7pm, he said weather and smoke north of coldfoot was good, but south of there it sucked, and no problems north of the pass. Last I heard Fairbanks was limited IFR. He also said he saw to two bou in the back of a pickup.

Terry

Default Improvded Conditions

Smoke and Fog Lifted about an hours ago in most areas ceiling goes to about 5000ft partly cloudy however that is our local area they are still calling for dense smoke conditions Yukon V area.

Don't know if that helps but it is improving as the day goes on. last night 20 MPH at best going through the Hills heading to Fairbanks.

Blue Moose

I can see the Brooks Range from Deadhorse right now, but there is a low ceiling with the sun poking through now and again in the Deadhorse area, looks clear and sunny south to the range.

what does anyone think about putting in a jet boat in to get outside the 5 mile area? Hows the water?

Default Snow down to 2000 ft

I guess i had my hopes up for more weather like last year. 50-60 sunny, light breeze! Im suppose to fly out of prudoe sunday hope its clear enough. Good luck all. Hillbilly

Default Last minute

Ya, I'll be on the phone Sunday night with Coldfoot trying to make a tough decision on the conditions. Hopefully the long term forcast is favorable. I'd really like to fly.

Not sure where everyone is going. Speaking from many years experience: in ANWR winds usually come from south and bring good weather (sunshine, clear skies, pleasant breezes .... and sometime smoke), while winds from the north bring bad weather (wind, cold, rain, snow - usually in that order). I have hunted the Brooks in smoke years and non-smoke years. North side is almost always doable, South side...it depends. Good luck for a successful hunt.

Default Thanks for that

That sounded like a ****ed if I do, ****ed if I don't. Winds from the north No smoke, poor weather.....Winds from the South, Smoke.

I guess the perfect situation is deminished fires and a south blow.

I'll be on the South side of the Brooks. About 60 miles north of Coldfoot. I'll be monitoring this all day today and tommorow.

Talking

[QUOTE=Bighorse;549921
    I'll be on the South side of the Brooks. About 60 miles north of Coldfoot. I'll be monitoring this all day today and tommorow.[/QUOTE]

Bighorse, you already got a goat...........or a least your wife did. You can't go sheep hunting. Your alloted hunting time is used up till late moose season. Please get back to work as we need more taxes to pay for our soon to come govt provided health insurance!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default LOL

I'm a CT and MRI Technologist. I gotta ride the wave of good reimbursement while I can. Pretty soon Uncle Sam is gonna demand I work at burger flipping wages.

Actually I already work as a federal employee with the Indian Health Service, kinda. So I get taxed and at least it pays my wages. Believe me.....I'll be paying for this recreation all winter with plenty of long hours and late night calls.

So back to the subject......Brooks weather. I looked at the web cam in Coldfoot this morning and I saw the mountains and blue sky. Thats got me thinking full curls and rocky ridgelines. I think I'll be harassing those rams afterall. I'll make the final call tonight and fly out tommorrow morning to Fairbanks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

good rain here in FBK all night... smoke is starting to settle. we seen the sun for a few moments yesterday and an actual cloud..

this cool weather is bringing it back to normal...( finally)

now if the smoke form the rex fire will clear enough for me to get in there.. i will know what damage is done that way
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Good luck with that

Good luck Vince.....I hope it's not too bad. At this point my bags are packed and I'm planning on it with this change in weather and conditions.