Thread: Pre-64 model 70 missing a bolt... what to do...

Default Pre-64 model 70 missing a bolt... what to do...

I saw a pre-64 model 70 in 300 HH listed for sale and missing the bolt. Got me to thinking, is their and aftermarket to purchase a bolt from?

Is the only option to find a bolt on Gunbroker or something similar and purchase and then what is required?

Wasn't their only two different bolts offered, magnum and non-magnum bolt face on pre-64's 70's?

Obviously a head space check and adjustment? Would lug contact need checked?

Got me to thinking, if a fellow could find the bolt reasonable priced enough and not a lot of 'smith work, might be a reasonable price way to get into a working class pre-64 model 70!

Numrich gun parts, they are like a wrecking yard for guns and will have a used bolt.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hi ozarks you will not be able to find a bolt for that gun anywhere EXCEPT out of a donor gun, and then it will have to be headspaced. You need a 300 H&H bolt.

You arent going to get into it cheap. If its missing a bolt, it could have very well been a donor gun for someone else.

If the gun is cheap enough, buy it and part out the stock, barrel etc

+1 on the gunparts place. One of my coworkers was given a "Husky" rifle without a bolt when his uncle died. He was able to get a replacement bolt and put the rifle back in action. They may not have every thing, but it's a good start. If that fails, you might start putting out WTB ads on the various sites...like here.

a simple search of the gun parts sites will demonstrate, as it has to us well over 100 times in the past five years, that Pre 64 Winchester bolts are unobtainable. I have no difficulty in you wasting your time in doing so, but please dont give the OP the impression that he is going to find a bolt and make a killing on some body elses problem gun.

Let me make it clearer to the OP...it the gun is worth parting out and you can correctly market it (an excellent original stock is worth $3-500, excellent original barrel worth $2-300) then buy it, but if you are buying it in the hope of finding a bolt you are wasting your money.

Thanks WildAL, what you say makes good sense. I wouldn't buy it assuming I could find a bolt, buying it as a "parts gun" like you say is sound advice.

You say it would need a 300 H&H bolt, I am curious why you say that? Is a 300 H&H bolt different than the other magnums?

I was thinking (probalby wrongly so) that even a pre-64 30-06 bolt was the same as the 300 H&H except for the bolt face to accommodate the belted brass? Is there a difference in action length on 300 H&H model 70's versus 30-06?

No 375, 300 Win will also work

It's true that it comes up as 'out of stock' on the web, which I already knew from looking when I posted the link, but I would call them and see. Most of the stuff I have gotten from them the computer showed that they did not even have. Stuff is in and out of that place like mad, and just like a wrecking yard not on parts make it on the parts locater system.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...ductSKU=316410
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

All the bolts on all the pre-64 M70's are the same bolt. The only difference is the boltface. If you could find one, lets say 30-06, then the bolt face would have to be opened up a little bit. Easy chore for a gunsmith. The only difference on the Magnums is the ejection port is larger.

Numrich is a great place to start. I would make sure I could find a bolt and price out the work before you bought the gun.

Default Rework a Springfield '03 bolt

If you are willing to pay for the machine work a 1903 Springfiled bolt can be made to work - I've seen it done before. Some of the parts between rifles are closer than you might think - for example the bolt sleeve from a Model 70 will screw right in and index properly in an '03 bolt! Also- check the dimensions of the bolt bodies diameters between 98 mausers, 03's, 1917 Enfields, Model 70s etc. - they are the same - .693" if I recall correctly.

Another interesting tidbit is the threads on the trigger guard assembly screws - most are metric- even the '03 Springfield. If I recall even the old trapdoor rifles used metric threads for some reason.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Wisner's may have reproduction bots available. If so they will be well made.

Default M70 Bolts

Would be interested in the gun as I have do have original M70 bolts. 87beemer@ak.net

There is a thread on trading a mag. bolt for a std. bolt on accuratereloading.com Might be some left overs.

I have several Model 70 bolts from every variation. If you can get me the serial no. I can provide the proper bolt shroud configuration.

Andre` lkydvl@hotmail.com