Thread: Lee 45-Cal Bullet Moulds

Default Lee 45-Cal Bullet Moulds

I just got a new Lee 457-340-F bullet mould, after getting email assurance from Lee that it would produce bullets a thousandth or so larger than .457.

Well, it does not! The bullets fall out of the mould at .457, with W-W lead. There is no way you can resize to .458, .459, etc. Why does Lee undersize some of their moulds?

Looks like I'm going to Ebay with this one...

Marshall/Ak

Did you call/email Lee to see if they would take it back/refund you?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    I just got a new Lee 457-340-F bullet mould, after getting email assurance from Lee that it would produce bullets a thousandth or so larger than .457.

Well, it does not! The bullets fall out of the mould at .457, with W-W lead. There is no way you can resize to .458, .459, etc. Why does Lee undersize some of their moulds?

Looks like I'm going to Ebay with this one...

Marshall/Ak
    Bullets cast from WW drop a little smaller than pure lead or Lyman #2. I'm betting they erred in what they told you. If it drops @ .458 with lead, I'd expect them to come out at a round .457 when cast from WW. No defense of them. I like their products, but when they're wrong, they're wrong. I'd call first, but plan to send it back.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Hold on a seccond.....

Before you get all bent out of shape, try shooting a few of them as cast, and just run them thru the .458 or .459 die to lube them. Each gun is obviously different, and you may have a specimen that really likes that bullet in that size, but you will never know if you don’t shoot a few. Also, if your load is fairly stout, even with WW alloy they will probably bump up and obdurate just fine anyway when you fire them.

If they shoot good and leading is not evident, then you have a winner! If not, the Lee mould probably cost you less than $20 anyway and you can hold onto it for barter fodder or sell it off the forum.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    Did you call/email Lee to see if they would take it back/refund you?
    Not yet, but I might just do that...