Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tundra predator rife?

Default tundra predator rife?

Got a trip planned for mid september on nimme river and was thinking of taking an additional smaller caliber rifle for wolves and smaller critters...any suggestions?
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

If it was me I would take my 22-250. I love that rifle. It is a little big for fox, but just right for wolves

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    If it was me I would take my 22-250. I love that rifle. It is a little big for fox, but just right for wolves
    Amen, any flat shooting, long range, small caliber rifle will do. Remember, you will likely be shooting in the wind. 22-250 would be my choice for wolves and smaller.

22-250 is my vote too!

Default anything but

Anything but a wolf, that ammo will go KA-BLOOEE!!! 22.250 is a great rifle, but big for any small furbearer game. Shoot, a .223 is big for them (but that'd be my choice). Best rifle though for 100 yd shots is a .22. Taken many fox, lynx, wolves with my good ol' 10-22.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

How about a .204 vs. .223 debate

Alaskan22, whats your take on the .204 for small furbearers?

I've got the stag 6L in 223 and a DPMS LR-204....cant decide. I'm very unimpressed that DPMS put a single stage trigger in its 'long range' varminter. It'll definitely be seeing a two-stage rock river LPK...

Bunny shot with a 204 Imagine what that would do to a fox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH9bf...e=channel_page

The 223 being smaller than even the short action calibers allow an even more petite action. Another great attribute of the 223 is that it is sufficient for 300 yd. shooting all day long and only requires 20 inches or less of barrel length to get a 55 grain bullet well above 3,000fps. CZ makes a tiny lil mauser type bolt rifle with an 18 in barrel (also avail. in 204). The darn thing was lighter weight than my Ruger compact rifle even with 2 more inches of barrel because of that little reciever! I regret it all the time.......for getting rid of that compact, exremely accurate, handsome, gem of a rifle I used to snow shoe all day long with that lil rifle. I miss it terribly.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/ <-------link to the nicest 6lb. 223 carbine around

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03-11-2010 at 20:12.

Default .223 v .204

Hunt ak- I have a .204 as well. NOT my choice for a fox. Blows some signifcant holes in them. The only way I could get that to stop was a gut shot on them (which is not always fun, but easy to sew up, and no serious damage).

I know a few that shoot the .17hmr and really like it. I think my next snogo gun will be a .22 mag. I like the 10-22 and the cost of the ammo. No real damage to the hide, anywhere you plink them.

Was shocked to see how well the .22lr did on wolves. However, if in uncertain terrain, better to go bigger for them.

Hmm....

So, what good is the .204 if it ruins hides and is likely too small for much larger game than furbearers?

sounds like a 22 hornet would be darn appealing to everyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The 223 being smaller than even the short action calibers allow an even more petite action. Another great attribute of the 223 is that it is sufficient for 300 yd. shooting all day long and only requires 20 inches or less of barrel length to get a 55 grain bullet well above 3,000fps. CZ makes a tiny lil mauser type bolt rifle with an 18 in barrel (also avail. in 204). The darn thing was lighter weight than my Ruger compact rifle even with 2 more inches of barrel because of that little reciever! I regret it all the time.......for getting rid of that compact, exremely accurate, handsome, gem of a rifle I used to snow shoe all day long with that lil rifle. I miss it terribly.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/ <-------link to the nicest 6lb. 223 carbine around

I have that CZ .223 carbine and that is my favorite for fox/wolf. Like Mainer says, it is extremely accurate and light. love it.

akomppa,

some folks complain about the magazine but it never bothered me. cz makes a flush fitting three rounder....but I wouldn't care one way or the other. gotta love that single set trigger that breaks at 13 ounces ehhhh? I'll have another one within the next 2 months or so. gonna start loading the full metal jacketed bullets too........WAY less pelt damage (no hollowpoint or ballistic tipped hyrostatic induced explosions) I really dont know what i was thinking.....getting rid of the most perfect predator rifle to ever grace my gun safe..........

Default I know, huh!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Hmm....

So, what good is the .204 if it ruins hides and is likely too small for much larger game than furbearers?

I know!!!!!! I thought I had the answer to all of my problems in the 204, but it is just TOO fast of a round. I'm guessing one could reload w/proper bullets and slow it down, but then you basically have a .223. My 223 is much more fur friendly, but not enough for me to make it the gun of choice. Maybe if I had more trees to lose bigger animals (wolves, wolverine) I'd be more concerned about making sure they dropped in their tracks. But, alas, I don't have that as an issue. Maybe if someone set uup and took 200-300 yds shots, those would work well. However, I was comfortable taking those shots on such a small critter. Afte seeing furbearers skinned out, you realize there is very little margin for error and I then allow them to come closer (or I close the distance) to make my shot.

Like I said, my next snogo gun will be a .22 Mag. Not as powerful, but enough dropping power for instant stops.

I dropped a couple of Coyotes with my 223 and it sure ripped them up. That was with 55gr. FMJ's too. One was shot around 40 yards away and the other at about 20 yards, so the velocity was still screamin'. They were both front angled shots so maybe if they had been side shots it wouldn't have ripped up the fur so badly. I've been really happy with my 22mag. I dropped a Coyote at 10 paces last year with a 30gr. V-Max and it just put a small hole in, but didn't exit. It was an angled shot to the upper front chest and just fragmented inside, so it did it's job. I'll be sticking with either the 22mag or shotgun for the close in work and the 223 for more open areas I think from now on. I think that the V-max would probably tear up a Lynx or Fox though at close range, but somebody can correct me if I'm wrong on that one. I'm going to go with the FMJ's and see how they do up close on the smaller animals.

Alaskan22, I carried a 22 mag for a long time on the line and really liked it for fox in fact my singel six always has the 22 mag cylinder in it and is on my handelbars every day. I always wanted an auto loader but never did get one you will love this calibur with all the fox you see in a day in your country.

With the huge increase in our wolf population and the positiong rule now in effect I have gone back to a 223. the 223 is hard on fox no matter how you do it but FMJs can rip the beegees out of them without a perfect shot. My answer has been a soft point and thread and needle if I shoot a fox. In many cases I found the FMJs to make a pelt worthless not to mention the sewing involved darn near impossible. Though on perfect shots it was like a 22 in and out. I did not like the inconsitencey so quit shooting and refuse to buy FMJs for anything other than plinking at the range with the AR.
    I do not know this for fact but everything I have read say the 204 is a great yote gun unfortunatley or fortunatley depending on how you look at it ,for many of us out West we see few or no yotes. If I lived in yote country I deffiently would have a 204 in the cabinet and probably carry it on the line I think they would make a decent wolf rifle as well.
    One of these days i am going to buy a 22 hornet if for no other reason than to have one they are probably one of the best fox killers out there IMO. I know several who have them and they just flat smack the fox out to about 200 yds and when one gets to know the gun possibly further
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

A lot of guys used the 17 Remington to shoot fox when I was in Montana. Flat shooting like a laser. The light bullet would typically disintegrate in the animal and rarely exit. Biggest problem was fouling the small barrel. After a few shots it needed to be cleaned. Not a big problem except at the range. A strong wind could also make long shots tough. If you want something different take a look at the 19 Calhoun. A guy in Havre, MT makes that round along with a few others. I've often thought about buying one. Seems like a good option between the 17 Remington and 204 Ruger.

Smile .22-250 and Barnes

.22-250 loaded with 53 gr. Barnes Triple Shock. A little expansion for shock yet it will not fragment. Good penetration for wolves.

Interesting topic and so many good choices... I am looking going w/ a AR platform w/ one of the wssm uppers. Probably a 25. Currently I go 270WSM for wolves and up and my 17hmr for anything smaller. I love that cheapo savage! I just can't wait till I get back and sneak it into the pile of rifles over at Hunt_Ak's place for a paint job!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I just can't wait till I get back and sneak it into the pile of rifles over at Hunt_Ak's place for a paint job!
    Sneak away, man!

Sumthin' like this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast