Thread: Is it safe to drive Parks Hwy?

Question Is it safe to drive Parks Hwy?

Want to fish some of the parks Hwy streams this weekend but troopers are saying travel is not advised due to smoke and visibility. Anyone have a first hand account? Thx

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

once you get north of HEALY you will be down t 30MPH....

the south end is clear for the MOST part....keep your light on...

also...

Chulitna... mid forks... east forks... were VERY VERY low water on tuesday..

troublesome creek could be stepped over..

byers coal and others were barly running...

stay SOUTH of healy... you will be fine..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Thanks

Appreciate the info

My boyfriend just came back from Prudhoe Bay on Wednesday and he said the Parks was so bad he turned around and drive the Richardson. He kept the A/C off and declined to stop to fish in his usual spots because the smoke was bothering his lungs.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

My buddy the Salmon Slayer drove down last night from Fairbanks, he said it was pretty bad through Healy. I'm gonna make the drive down myself this evening, gonna put the moose lights to work. Unless they close it down, then there is gonna be Mat-Su fish to be caught, will report back Sunday...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

My boss drove from Anchorage to Fairbanks last night, said the smoke started to get bad around Anderson and was 75yd or less visibility on the Fairbanks side of Nenana. Other than wet roads, he had no major problems & speed limit rest of the way.

Also reported that the Troopers are out there watching for speeding, etc..., he was stopped for 70 (while passing) in a 65 & given a warning.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    My boss drove from Anchorage to Fairbanks last night, said the smoke started to get bad around Anderson and was 75yd or less visibility on the Fairbanks side of Nenana. Other than wet roads, he had no major problems & speed limit rest of the way.

Also reported that the Troopers are out there watching for speeding, etc..., he was stopped for 70 (while passing) in a 65 & given a warning.

oh dont take no joke on that one.....

nenana to 190 mile... DO the limit... these guys DO NOT play with you...

your boss got lucky!! there are anywhere 2-6 on shift through Denali park.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

not very many of them, but there are a few webcams on the parks - the one north of nenana if you put it on 'loop' shows how bad it got in that area anyway

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...d=184&viewId=1

Its always a good idea to check ak 511 on line......I know there are very few camaras on the parks as previously noted but usually the information is helpful in deciding which road to take.