Thread: Moose Hunting Dates

Default Moose Hunting Dates

I am looking for advice on a timeframe. I know Sept is supposed to be the best time but I am trying to work a hunt with my Brother and he might not be able to get out of his College then. End of August might be better.

Is this to early?? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Not sure of the area yet. Just trying to get some dates in mind first.

Thanks
    Brian

Brian, you adjust your technique to the terrain and the season. Early season the bulls are still in their feeding routines and fairly high if there's hills nearby. As the season progresses and the bulls' antlers harden they start to locate call and rub trees--mostly to try out their new headgear.

Starting in mid-Sep the cows start migrating towards the breeding meadows. The bulls get more vocal and quicker to respond to locator.

After the Equinox (Sep 21) the first cows come into estrous and the rut begins in earnest. Things get hotter and heavier until about the 10th of Oct. Then it's over, mostly and everybody goes back to feeding before winter.

Of course, there are no universal patterns. What Talkeetna Mtns bulls do in a given week is not necessarily what bulls in the Yukon Flats do in the same week.

Rule of thumb--hunt the food. The cows eat all season. After the first frost that means willows.

Thanks for the Reply Erik.

I am hoping he can get out in early Sept that way we can contiunue planning a float hunt. We will see how it all works out.

Also from what I gathered if it is earlier than Sept then we will have to do a lot of hiking from a river into the hills or need to just do a drop in hunt.

Hmmm We will have to see how it turns out.