Thread: Vibram FiveFingers

Default Vibram FiveFingers

I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has seen these shoes or had experience from them.
    A very good friend of mine was interested in purchasing these, but for trail running. I am wondering if more support is needed because it is trail running and there is so much more that happens on a trail than on regular foot running on the road system or on pavement.

I wonder if shoes like these would only be good for walking, hiking, hunting on a long day and for 'relaxation shoes' afterwards.

Thoughts?
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_footwear.cfm

I have an initial opinion of these shoes, though.
    Lurker.

all I can say is..... CREEPY!

hmmm, shouldn't they be called "fivetoes" instead?

They look useless to me but I'm sure they'll sell a bunch to their target market group, "barefooters".

WOW, I just had a thought... I think they may be on to something here. Something for the barefooters to put on their feet while they are barefooting... Oh wait, those are called shoes. Which raises the question. When is a barefooter not a barefoooter?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    all I can say is..... CREEPY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    hmmm, shouldn't they be called "fivetoes" instead?

They look useless to me but I'm sure they'll sell a bunch to their target market group, "barefooters".

WOW, I just had a thought... I think they may be on to something here. Something for the barefooters to put on their feet while they are barefooting... Oh wait, those are called shoes. Which raises the question. When is a barefooter not a barefoooter?
    Whew! Thank you! I really thought that I was the only one that thinks that spending $80 on a pair of 'barefoot shoes' is silly. These shoes are definitely creepy, LuJon. I'll agree with you on that one. Snyd, they should really be called FiveToes, shouldn't they? Isn't every person a barefooter in their own way?

I guess what really shocks me is that it's named 2007 Best TIME Inventions.

I just wonder if they are really worth it.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Whew! Thank you! I really thought that I was the only one that thinks that spending $80 on a pair of 'barefoot shoes' is silly. These shoes are definitely creepy, LuJon. I'll agree with you on that one. Snyd, they should really be called FiveToes, shouldn't they? Isn't every person a barefooter in their own way?

I guess what really shocks me is that it's named 2007 Best TIME Inventions.

I just wonder if they are really worth it.
    What's really silly is you're still thinking about them....

I think I'd rather walk barefoot or strap a piece of semi-tire rubber to my foot before wearing those things. Doesn't look very comfortable or easy to get on.

I got the heebie jeebie's as soon as I saw them on the link. I thought the purpose of having REAL shoes was to protect your feet/toes. With those things each toe would be exposed to snagging on whatever rock, root, etc you would encounter anywhere you are running. The only application I could even envision would be for strickly rock climbing - NOT for Mt Marathon. Kingfishertn is right - you're silly even still thinking about them.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    I got the heebie jeebie's as soon as I saw them on the link. I thought the purpose of having REAL shoes was to protect your feet/toes. With those things each toe would be exposed to snagging on whatever rock, root, etc you would encounter anywhere you are running. The only application I could even envision would be for strickly rock climbing - NOT for Mt Marathon. Kingfishertn is right - you're silly even still thinking about them.
    She knows I'm always right, COtoAK just doesn't like admitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    I would NEVER, EVER do these shoes for Mt. Marathon, but my friend and I are considering doing a relay/triathalon and she would be fine with shoes like this. I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    She knows I'm always right, COtoAK just doesn't like admitting it.
    Okay okay okay okay okay........
    For the record...
    Kingfisherktn is ALWAYS right. Always. Even if I don't like admitting it.

Listen, I am just happy that all of you guys have the same stomach wrenching feeling that I do when it comes to these shoes. I hope that this thread doesn't get canned because of our comments here. It's just... these shoes just seem as if they have no more shoe ideas. They just give me the heebeejeebee's.
    Lurker.

Default hooray!!!

i always wanted blisters between all of my toes!!!!!......really though this is really the greatest thing ever......whats next? sleeves with no shirt
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    i always wanted blisters between all of my toes!!!!!......really though this is really the greatest thing ever......whats next? sleeves with no shirt
    Funny you mention that... I have been looking for a set of those!!

Really I wear nothing but short sleeves except when I fly w/ the military they require long sleeves so I would love to find a set of sleeves that I could just slip on and off. Even stranger the Philippino bus drivers actually wear and sell them here! They run $6 a pair, just FYI I just need to find one who has them when I have time to meet up w/ them the next day and pick them up

Default five fingers

Well I don't agree with the herd on here. Read Born to Run by Pat McGonagal. The story behind the the five fingers is extremely interesting. They are spending but they could be a definite advance in shoe technology. The more support and tech involved in shoe construction the more problems happen.

Beaver Sports will have some of these soon. I want to buy a pair and try them out on trail running and build up foot muscle before I make a competent decision.

I just finished Bearman of Admiralty Island and it is interesting that Allen E. Hasselbourg was convinced that eventually his feet were more suited to terrain.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    Yes! Here they are:
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&aqi=&start=0
    Runners wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Funny you mention that... I have been looking for a set of those!!

Really I wear nothing but short sleeves except when I fly w/ the military they require long sleeves so I would love to find a set of sleeves that I could just slip on and off. Even stranger the Philippino bus drivers actually wear and sell them here! They run $6 a pair, just FYI I just need to find one who has them when I have time to meet up w/ them the next day and pick them up
    Do you have a problem with the Filipino bus drivers? Could you buy me some? I'll PayPal you the $$!

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Well I don't agree with the herd on here. Read Born to Run by Pat McGonagal. The story behind the the five fingers is extremely interesting. They are spending but they could be a definite advance in shoe technology. The more support and tech involved in shoe construction the more problems happen.

Beaver Sports will have some of these soon. I want to buy a pair and try them out on trail running and build up foot muscle before I make a competent decision.

I just finished Bearman of Admiralty Island and it is interesting that Allen E. Hasselbourg was convinced that eventually his feet were more suited to terrain.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Interesting that you mention this.
    I was thinking about these shoes during my most recent hunting trip.

Since people have different feet and different toe lengths, will this shoe cater to all needs including arch supports or shorter/longer toes?
    Lurker.

Default Barefoot Ted

Go to this guy's blog. He will answer questions.

http://barefootted.com/

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I can just see these things taking off in Alaska and all the new bear track reports that will come out of them! I guess to each their own!!

Notice the claims to any benefit to or value of these shoes are either:

(1) completely intangible (felt more connected to the earth; more in tune with bodies); or

(2) are based on what "others" or "many" either "discovered" or "reported," such as "increased sense of balance and greater agility" or "health benefits like improved posture and less back pain."

There's no way to dispute these claims because they expressly have no support other than that someone felt or said them.

When I see advertisements like that, I refuse to buy from the manufacturer. It's deceptive. If there was really anything to the prevents-back-pain claim, they would cite a medical study. Instead, they say someone "reported" it.

I hate companies like that.

yep, I agree w/ Marine Hawk. Oddly enough Under Armor has been citing "compression" as a positive attribute of their fitted shirts. I asked them about it specifically in 2005 looking for the study results that backed it up. To my surprise they didn't have any. It was all just marketing...

Those shoes look a great way to get a bunch of stubbed toes while hiking.