Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Vibram FiveFingers

  1. #1
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default Vibram FiveFingers

    I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has seen these shoes or had experience from them.
    A very good friend of mine was interested in purchasing these, but for trail running. I am wondering if more support is needed because it is trail running and there is so much more that happens on a trail than on regular foot running on the road system or on pavement.

    I wonder if shoes like these would only be good for walking, hiking, hunting on a long day and for 'relaxation shoes' afterwards.

    Thoughts?
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_footwear.cfm

    I have an initial opinion of these shoes, though.
    Lurker.

  2. #2
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    all I can say is..... CREEPY!

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    hmmm, shouldn't they be called "fivetoes" instead?

    They look useless to me but I'm sure they'll sell a bunch to their target market group, "barefooters".

    WOW, I just had a thought... I think they may be on to something here. Something for the barefooters to put on their feet while they are barefooting... Oh wait, those are called shoes. Which raises the question. When is a barefooter not a barefoooter?

  4. #4
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    all I can say is..... CREEPY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    hmmm, shouldn't they be called "fivetoes" instead?

    They look useless to me but I'm sure they'll sell a bunch to their target market group, "barefooters".

    WOW, I just had a thought... I think they may be on to something here. Something for the barefooters to put on their feet while they are barefooting... Oh wait, those are called shoes. Which raises the question. When is a barefooter not a barefoooter?
    Whew! Thank you! I really thought that I was the only one that thinks that spending $80 on a pair of 'barefoot shoes' is silly. These shoes are definitely creepy, LuJon. I'll agree with you on that one. Snyd, they should really be called FiveToes, shouldn't they? Isn't every person a barefooter in their own way?

    I guess what really shocks me is that it's named 2007 Best TIME Inventions.

    I just wonder if they are really worth it.
    Lurker.

  5. #5
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Whew! Thank you! I really thought that I was the only one that thinks that spending $80 on a pair of 'barefoot shoes' is silly. These shoes are definitely creepy, LuJon. I'll agree with you on that one. Snyd, they should really be called FiveToes, shouldn't they? Isn't every person a barefooter in their own way?

    I guess what really shocks me is that it's named 2007 Best TIME Inventions.

    I just wonder if they are really worth it.
    What's really silly is you're still thinking about them....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    211

    Default

    I think I'd rather walk barefoot or strap a piece of semi-tire rubber to my foot before wearing those things. Doesn't look very comfortable or easy to get on.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    344

    Default

    I got the heebie jeebie's as soon as I saw them on the link. I thought the purpose of having REAL shoes was to protect your feet/toes. With those things each toe would be exposed to snagging on whatever rock, root, etc you would encounter anywhere you are running. The only application I could even envision would be for strickly rock climbing - NOT for Mt Marathon. Kingfishertn is right - you're silly even still thinking about them.

  8. #8
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    I got the heebie jeebie's as soon as I saw them on the link. I thought the purpose of having REAL shoes was to protect your feet/toes. With those things each toe would be exposed to snagging on whatever rock, root, etc you would encounter anywhere you are running. The only application I could even envision would be for strickly rock climbing - NOT for Mt Marathon. Kingfishertn is right - you're silly even still thinking about them.
    She knows I'm always right, COtoAK just doesn't like admitting it.

  9. #9
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    I got the heebie jeebie's as soon as I saw them on the link. I thought the purpose of having REAL shoes was to protect your feet/toes. With those things each toe would be exposed to snagging on whatever rock, root, etc you would encounter anywhere you are running. The only application I could even envision would be for strickly rock climbing - NOT for Mt Marathon. Kingfishertn is right - you're silly even still thinking about them.
    I would NEVER, EVER do these shoes for Mt. Marathon, but my friend and I are considering doing a relay/triathalon and she would be fine with shoes like this. I wouldn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    She knows I'm always right, COtoAK just doesn't like admitting it.
    Okay okay okay okay okay........
    For the record...
    Kingfisherktn is ALWAYS right. Always. Even if I don't like admitting it.

    Listen, I am just happy that all of you guys have the same stomach wrenching feeling that I do when it comes to these shoes. I hope that this thread doesn't get canned because of our comments here. It's just... these shoes just seem as if they have no more shoe ideas. They just give me the heebeejeebee's.
    Lurker.

  10. #10
    Member sharksinthesalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    wasilla ak
    Posts
    640

    Default hooray!!!

    i always wanted blisters between all of my toes!!!!!......really though this is really the greatest thing ever......whats next? sleeves with no shirt
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

  11. #11
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    i always wanted blisters between all of my toes!!!!!......really though this is really the greatest thing ever......whats next? sleeves with no shirt
    Funny you mention that... I have been looking for a set of those!!


    Really I wear nothing but short sleeves except when I fly w/ the military they require long sleeves so I would love to find a set of sleeves that I could just slip on and off. Even stranger the Philippino bus drivers actually wear and sell them here! They run $6 a pair, just FYI I just need to find one who has them when I have time to meet up w/ them the next day and pick them up

  12. #12

    Default five fingers

    Well I don't agree with the herd on here. Read Born to Run by Pat McGonagal. The story behind the the five fingers is extremely interesting. They are spending but they could be a definite advance in shoe technology. The more support and tech involved in shoe construction the more problems happen.

    Beaver Sports will have some of these soon. I want to buy a pair and try them out on trail running and build up foot muscle before I make a competent decision.

    I just finished Bearman of Admiralty Island and it is interesting that Allen E. Hasselbourg was convinced that eventually his feet were more suited to terrain.


    Sincerely,
    Thomas

  13. #13
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    i always wanted blisters between all of my toes!!!!!......really though this is really the greatest thing ever......whats next? sleeves with no shirt
    Yes! Here they are:
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&aqi=&start=0
    Runners wear them.

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Funny you mention that... I have been looking for a set of those!!


    Really I wear nothing but short sleeves except when I fly w/ the military they require long sleeves so I would love to find a set of sleeves that I could just slip on and off. Even stranger the Philippino bus drivers actually wear and sell them here! They run $6 a pair, just FYI I just need to find one who has them when I have time to meet up w/ them the next day and pick them up
    Do you have a problem with the Filipino bus drivers? Could you buy me some? I'll PayPal you the $$!

    Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Well I don't agree with the herd on here. Read Born to Run by Pat McGonagal. The story behind the the five fingers is extremely interesting. They are spending but they could be a definite advance in shoe technology. The more support and tech involved in shoe construction the more problems happen.

    Beaver Sports will have some of these soon. I want to buy a pair and try them out on trail running and build up foot muscle before I make a competent decision.

    I just finished Bearman of Admiralty Island and it is interesting that Allen E. Hasselbourg was convinced that eventually his feet were more suited to terrain.


    Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Interesting that you mention this.
    I was thinking about these shoes during my most recent hunting trip.

    Since people have different feet and different toe lengths, will this shoe cater to all needs including arch supports or shorter/longer toes?
    Lurker.

  14. #14

    Default Barefoot Ted

    Go to this guy's blog. He will answer questions.

    http://barefootted.com/

    Sincerely,
    Thomas

  15. #15
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    I can just see these things taking off in Alaska and all the new bear track reports that will come out of them! I guess to each their own!!

  16. #16
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Notice the claims to any benefit to or value of these shoes are either:

    (1) completely intangible (felt more connected to the earth; more in tune with bodies); or

    (2) are based on what "others" or "many" either "discovered" or "reported," such as "increased sense of balance and greater agility" or "health benefits like improved posture and less back pain."

    There's no way to dispute these claims because they expressly have no support other than that someone felt or said them.

    When I see advertisements like that, I refuse to buy from the manufacturer. It's deceptive. If there was really anything to the prevents-back-pain claim, they would cite a medical study. Instead, they say someone "reported" it.

    I hate companies like that.


  17. #17
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    yep, I agree w/ Marine Hawk. Oddly enough Under Armor has been citing "compression" as a positive attribute of their fitted shirts. I asked them about it specifically in 2005 looking for the study results that backed it up. To my surprise they didn't have any. It was all just marketing...

  18. #18
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Those shoes look a great way to get a bunch of stubbed toes while hiking.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •