Thread: night restriction

Default night restriction

OK so it's still summer in Alaska and I want to get a tailwheel sign off...but, it's been over 12 months and I still haven't had a chance to do the night cross country to lift the night flying restriction from when I got my private license (long story).

It is my understanding that I can get the tailwheel endorsement, but won't be able to use it until I get the night flying restriction lifted. I liken it to having a current license but an expired medical exam, I have the license but can't use it.

I figure I could do the tail wheel now and then when it gets dark here in a month I can do my night cross country to lift the night restriction. THEN, I can actually fly with a current private pilot certificate and my tailwheel endorsement.

Any thoughts?

Bobble

like you im waiting for the sun to go down and some good night flying weather to lift this restriction. i have the tail wheel just need to fly at night. good luck!

that I can get the tailwheel endorsement, but won't be able to use it until I get the night flying restriction lifted.
    What???

If you get your tailwheel endorsement and do not have a night sign off, you can fly tailwheels until the cows come home during daylight hours.

Heck-fire thousands of Student pilots are flying around in tailwheels with a log book endorsement and a student medical. At least you have your private.

A friend of mine who eventually became a wrench out in Bethel never did get his night restriction lifted because he can't see straight at night. He has been flying Supercubs for 20 years.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

That's what I thought, the part that confused me was the paragraph that states,

"...Must comply with the appropriate night flight training requirements of this subpart within 12 calendar months after the issuance of the pilot certificate. At the end of that period, the certificate will become invalid for use until the person complies with the appropriate night training requirements of this subpart..."

FAR 61.110

I read that to mean that I could obtain a tail wheel endorsement, even though I have a private certificate invalid for use. So I when I CAN fly, I can fly tailwheel airplanes too.

Thanks for the help fellas

Good point about student pilots having tailwheel endorsements.

So does the invalid PPL automatically revert to a valid student pilot cert? One quick call to the FSDO will answer that.

Here's the current month civil twilight calendar. You can fulfill your night requirements if you're willing to stay up late or get up early.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

Like the friend floatpilot referred to, I got my pilot cert during the time that an unlimited night restriction was issued. I've never seen my night restriction as a limitation that mattered so I've never done anything about it. I don't recall when the unlimited restriction was changed but as you know, your cert is time limited without the night flying.

In the paragraph relating to tail wheel endorsements, it says nothing about being a current private pilot.

I wonder how many times this has come up?

I recall students being signed-off for solo flight. Is it required for a student who's learning in a tailwheel aircraft to get an endorsement for tailwheel prior to PPL issuance?

I called a flight school and asked. Their response was that they have flight students who, because they are doing their instruction in a tailwheel, receive the tailwheel endorsement prior to receiving the private and sometimes just prior to soloing. Of course, you can't use the endorsement unless you are signed off to solo, but you can have it.
    Makes sense to me. This is kind of a weird situation so thanks for the insight.

As Brother Pid suggested, it sounds like time for a call to FSDO.

Do you have your own plane or are you renting?

Float pilot,

I'll give them a call.

I am renting at the moment, someday I'd like to own. I was thinking of a 170 or even a 172 with bigger tires on and a stout nose gear. I don't know what mods like that would cost, but it would give me a versatile airplane. What do you think? I'd be looking for something to build time in, but want more than what a 152 can offer. I don't need cub STOL performance, and don't need the hauling cpabilities of a 206.

The reason I asked revolved around the time periods needed for night flight. Being a renter makes it much harder in your situation. If you had your won plane I am sure you would have already knowed out the night cross country requirements.

One of my students down here bought an old straight tail C-172. Like the first year of production I think...

He has slightly large tires all the way around and a sea-plane prop. With the back seat out, it hauls two guys and lots of junk.

All in all it is a good plane and will make 500 -600 ft take-offs all day with a moderate load. Plus it will cruise at something like 110 mph. He has been all over the place with the thing. Not to mention all the places he went that he was not supposed to go.

He finally got his license a couple weeks ago and now he is thinking about something for floats.

Give me a call when you are ready for some float flying. It's like flying, boating and sex all at one time...

Default tailwheel endorsement completed

Got it done, tailwheel endorsement, that's some fun flying. I really learned a lot.

Mr Pid, sent you a PM.

Anyone know how long ago it was that you had an unlimited amount of time to lift a night restriction so that if you never flew at night and didn't mind the restriction you didn't have to spend the time and gas to do it?

It was in the 90's it's in the FAR's. Just went through it this spring to get a new rating. You need to get your night before you can get a new rating if you were grandfathered in.

I spoke to a few folks at FSDO and I was told that while I COULD get a tailwheel endorsement on a license that was "invalid for use" because I did not complete the required night training within 12 months of receiving the private cert, I could not use the tailwheel endorsement until the night restriction was lifted, thus allowing me to act is PIC again.

As far as the night restriction goes, the law changed in 1997, requiring you to complete the night training requirements within 12 months.

They were very helpful, took the time to look up the answers and promptly call back with the correct course of action.

Thank you all for your help as well.

Default night restriction

Hello Susanne,

Thanks for reply,
    ok, since I do have aftermarket video module which has 2 video inputs already,
    so then I just need to get the night vision camera?
    please let me know

thank you