Thread: Barrel fluting weight reduction

Default Barrel fluting weight reduction

What could i expect to see weight loss wise by having the 24" barrel on my Rem model 700 LSS, .280, fluted? Worthwhile?
    Its a great shooter, but a bit heavy with the laminated stock. I figured while i'm putting a light weight stock on it, go whole hawg and flute the barrel too.
    Thanks gents

3 oz?

Hey Kid, what do you think?

Google Lilja rifle barrels- I remember seeing a calculator on there for getting an exact weight. It won't be all that much on a barrel that is sporter weight.

Doug

I would think that you are gonna shed a maximum of 5oz on your sporter weight bbl. Along with the small weight reduction your gunsmith may also run into trouble fluting a factory bbl. The problem lies in the monkeys that the big companies pay peanuts (or is it bananas) to polish these factory rifles. If the bbl isnt pretty close to uniform as far as waviness goes you may get some pretty funky looking flutes.

First... if you have a good shooting rifle I sure would not mess with flutting the barrel.

Second... as a few have pointed out, you will only save a few onces.

Third.. I would not put a penny into a factory barrel other tham to maybe have it recrowned. If I was going to spend $$$ on a barrel it would be a custom barrel made totally to my specs.

Just my $.03

-MR

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    First... if you have a good shooting rifle I sure would not mess with flutting the barrel.

Second... as a few have pointed out, you will only save a few onces.

Third.. I would not put a penny into a factory barrel other tham to maybe have it recrowned. If I was going to spend $$$ on a barrel it would be a custom barrel made totally to my specs.

Just my $.03

-MR
    Dittos. Though I would consider having a factory barrel shortened a couple of inches and recrowned. That'll shave a few ounces, make for a handier rifle, and isn't too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Dittos. Though I would consider having a factory barrel shortened a couple of inches and recrowned. That'll shave a few ounces, make for a handier rifle, and isn't too expensive.
    I like this idea best...