Thread: White Mountains

Default White Mountains

Are the trails in the White Mountains good for four-wheeling, or are they mostly winter trails due to terrain/rivers???

Default Find out...

Why don't you go ride them and find out?

Default Am being serious...

I'm not merely trying to be a smart ass (well, a little anyhow). Its not much of an investment as they are pretty close to town if your in the Fairbanks area. I will say the MAJORITY of the trail system is winter trail anyhow, and much is off limits to ATV's

Default The reason I'm asking

I'm from Palmer and was wondering if it was worth the drive. I agree that the best way to find out is to try, but this is not "in my backyard."

Exclamation a road hunt from plamer to the whites @ the rite time could pay off better

off limts... alot of it and what can get drove on does...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

About four years ago I was stationed in the Fairbanks area and we used to go up to the White Mountains almost every weekend. Mount Prindle campground was well kept (even my wife would use the outhouse) and usually pretty deserted. The only time you really fought for a campsite was on the extended holiday weekends. Quartz Creek Trail is a good ride with lots of scenary and wildlife to look at. Some parts of the trail are challenging to new riders (the first half mile or so is a pretty steep climb.) Once you get to the top you are rewarded though with a breathtaking view of the valley below. One thing to keep in mind is that you are riding really close to an area that is off limits to OHV's so you need to make sure that you follow the signs (if they are still there), and be aware of where you are. Here is a good website for more info - http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/sa/...mpgrounds.html

Hope this helps...