Thread: .416 Ruger loads

Smile .416 Ruger loads

Finally got some Redding dies from Sinclair & worked up a load. Moose look out!!!

78 grs. 4064 250 CCI primer 400 gr. Horady RN 22" Shilen SS #4 barrel on my Remington 700 sp = 2466 fps with a 5.1 fps SD.
    This is a compressed load. Shot 4 strings and the others had smaller SD.
    Now if this 8 1/2# rifle hits anywheres as hard down range as it does on the bench it's a keeper!
    The load is the same as what the .416 Remington calls max with bullet and powder.
    One more trip to the range for "cold barrel" zero check & box her up and send to Alaska!

damgoodshot

2466fps from handloads in the .416 Ruger? If so good to hear. Have you tried other bullets Barnes, Swifts?

Brett

Default Bullets

Brett
    Had to wait so long for dies that I don't have the time to work up loads with other bullets as the Hornady's are shooting great & are good for moose.
    The bullet with a 200 yd. zero is about 3" high at 100 yds. & 12" low at 300 yds, 36" low at 400 yds.
    I see that you are a DC - never know nwhen I might show up at your office with my "bad back" -been there- done that!!!
    dgs

Quote Originally Posted by damgoodshot View Post
    Brett
    Had to wait so long for dies that I don't have the time to work up loads with other bullets as the Hornady's are shooting great & are good for moose.
    The bullet with a 200 yd. zero is about 3" high at 100 yds. & 12" low at 300 yds, 36" low at 400 yds.
    I see that you are a DC - never know nwhen I might show up at your office with my "bad back" -been there- done that!!!
    dgs
    I am. I'm currently buying Metro Chiropractic on W. International Airport Rd. I should be the official owner this week. Stop by.

Brett

I have a .416 Ruger Alaskan . I am currently shooting 350gr. Speer Mag tips with 73gr. H4350 and Fed. 215m primers. 1" groups - no lie.
    I replaced the Houge with a standard Ruger synthetic like the compact
    magnums. Yery handy. I am goimg to try some 350 tsx also, probably with the same charge. This rifle has a 20" bbl , so this may only be 2400fps.
    Plenty ! Moose and bears , look out !
    Bryan