Thread: How's fishing been on the Kenai ???

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Talking How's fishing been on the Kenai ???

I haven't seen any reports on the Kenia lately,what gives ?I'll be coming off slope Monday and would like to hear if anyone has found silver yet?Any takers....PLEASE...
    Additionally,is the water in Ressurection Bay as murky as last year? I sure hope not,made fishing tougher than it should have been.I have a buddy I've known 30 + years coming up for his 1st trip to our Great Land and really want him to have some fishing fun ..
    So please help with some current knowledge.When I get home I'll try to post some pics of some Arctic char I caught on the Sag River.Sweet fish..........Thanks all Mark
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 08-06-2009 at 17:41. Reason: spelling

Default A few reports

Hey Mark,

I was really thinking about taking the fly rod up to work this week... The Sag is too far for me, but there are a couple of other creeks near by.

I have heard a few reports of limit catches on the Kenai and that the silvers are quite large for this time of year. I am going to give it a try in the morning, just because...

Cheers

Default Decent

Fishing for silvers has been decent in the lower river. It seems red hot compared to the king fishing this year......

Those are good reports, fishing seems to be very good in the lower river with a few fish starting to move up. I would probably stay down in the lower section for the next week or two.

Default Not too bad...

Fished this morning from an hour before high to almost low. The fishing was steady, more so earlier than later. Kept 4 nice silvers and let a king and a few trout/dollies go (and a few small silvers). The average was a bit smaller than what I was expecting though... average of about 6 pounds. Caught on both eggs (with and without attractors) and kwikies (k-15 with sardine).

The water is still a bit high but clearing very nicely. Some debris floating by, however that is probably due to a 20' high tide. Overall, a good early August silver fishing trip.

Have fun on your days off...

Go to Seward. The silvers over there are nuts. Headed there Sunday and probably again on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Fished this morning from an hour before high to almost low. The fishing was steady, more so earlier than later. Kept 4 nice silvers and let a king and a few trout/dollies go (and a few small silvers). The average was a bit smaller than what I was expecting though... average of about 6 pounds. Caught on both eggs (with and without attractors) and kwikies (k-15 with sardine).

The water is still a bit high but clearing very nicely. Some debris floating by, however that is probably due to a 20' high tide. Overall, a good early August silver fishing trip.

Have fun on your days off...
    Sounds like fun, what area did you fish at?

Default It's all about location!

We were fishing the area around Eagle Rock. Other boats around us were doing good also. I have heard good reports from most holes in the lowere sections of the river.
    Cheers

same story here... early limits have been the trend if you're in the right spots. silvers can be very weird about hitting in one location and not another, so don't be afraid to move if you don't get bit in the first 20-30 minutes. i've been fishing the lower river between centennial and honeymoon.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Talking ONE DAY and a GET_UP

Thanks to all for your responses.I'm very much looking forward to getting home.It's great to be able to stay in touch long distance.
    Hey Ed, bring your fly pole.The Kuparek River is loaded with grayling.You have to do it now,another month might be too late.Last night the wind chill got down to 35.Good luck to you.Maybe see you on the river.....Mark

I took my 3 boys fishing on the middle river yesterday and we had a blast! Good fishing with a great guide (forum user iceblue, two thumbs way up!!!). Silvers are there and still a few fresh reds moving through.

The lower river has slowed down substantially in the last 2 days.
    www.akfishology.com

What guide did you use?

I talked to a guide on the lower river yesterday (Sunday) that got a limit of 8 in about an hour and a half. The fish are still coming.

Any recent reports on the Silver fishing on the Kenai?

Appears water levels are back to normal.

Yup, silvers are still coming in the lower river. Not as good as last week but you'll get your limit if you put your time in. Kind of nice not dealing with all the boat traffic other than locals like me.

fishing is real good for some, others are working hard to get a few. Overall, it has been very consistent and limits are the norm for the regulars.
    www.akfishology.com

We were on the upper the last 3 days and limited out all 3 of em. Plenty of fish. Mid day seemed a little slow then we would always see a good push through the afternoons.