Thread: Grumman 19

Default Grumman 19

I have a 2000 Grumman 19 square stern canoe. My canoe does not look like the Grumman 19's I have seen pictures of. The transom (engine mount) is built up about 6 inches above the side rail and slopes down both sides of the boat about 2 and half feet to meet the rail. Looks factory built and very solid. Are they all like this or is this an option. I bought the boat (used) yesterday and have just started fixing it up. The boat is like new and no dents.

Default canoe ????

did you messure it like 15FT long,, it sounds like you have a sport boat if it is 2.5 FT wide in the stern
    grumman did make the boat an a lot of them were sold in Alaska

That is not a sportboat we had a couple sportboats over the years. Great boat. Sounds like the one you have someone built a lift bracket on to it to allow you to run in shallower water. Very common for folks to do that up here. Sownside is they can cavitate very easily if you get them up too high. That is why alot of guys run them on something that they cans lift and lower the whole motor as needed. Either that, or being a 19 footer, they may have had a small jet on it.

It is a Grumman 19. It is about 12 inches wide at the aft end. I will put a tape on it in the morning. The motor mount is built up about 6 inches above the rail. It is all aluminum and very thick. Looks like factory work and slopes downward going forward on both sides about 2 and feet to connect to the rail forward of my seat. It is dark here so I will take pictures tomorrow and try to post. I am new to this forum so that should be interesting. I live in Florida and teach 4th grade so I am off all summer. I was a Marine for 20 years so I do not work in the summer. That is my family time. My children and I usually camp in a 16 foot travel trailer. We just finished a 7,500 mile trip to Michigan, Yellowstone, Texas, etc.. and I want to go in a new direction now. I love primitive camping and I want to outfit the canoe for that. I paid $500 (I am a bargain hunter) for the canoe and a very nice Gator trailer on Craigslist and that is my start. I have been thinking about this for about 6 months. I sold my travel trailer on craigslist this week as well and I have about 10 months to build my canoe for a month long river trip. I am not into speed on the water, just enjoyment and new discoveries. I am looking at the Tohatsu 6hp for a motor so we can get good fuel economy and go fast wen we want. I know I am all over the place with my information but I have been reading your posts on this forum and I am very impressed with the wealth of knowledge you have on Grumman 19s. I look forward to your advice and direction. Bill

Here is a picture of my transom. It looks like a solid lift.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
    Here is a picture of my transom. It looks like a solid lift.
    That is definitely a retrofit added on after it was purchased. Never seen one like that. Most people up here use a lift that they can control, being able to lift the engine out of the water when encountering shallow water.

Thanks, I was thinking it was something special when I first saw the boat. My son and I are going to take the canoe out Sunday for a paddle. I want to get a feel for the boat and get comfortable with it before I start adding gear and motor. It has been years since I paddled a canoe and this is a big boat.

with the grumman being so narrow especially in the transom,are they quite tippy?

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    with the grumman being so narrow especially in the transom,are they quite tippy?
    If it's the freighter, which it does look to be, it is rather wide actually. It is just narrow at the stern. We can fit a wide ice chest crosswise in ours midway. We actually run them standing up for hours on end with no problem.

Looks like someone had a 20" shaft motor (kicker from a large boat/sail boat) and decided to make it work on a 15" transom. Big issue to me would be the higher center of gravity. Should be easy enough to remove unles you have a 20" shaft motor. Too bad you don't live down here. I have a 20" shaft 8hp tohatsu burried in the garage.