Thread: Fly fishing Alaska questions

Default Fly fishing Alaska questions

I'm new here and really enjoy this site.
    The more posts I read the more confusing about when to go and where.

My Wife and I would like to come up for a week of Flyfishing. We were thinking of 7 nights with 6 days to fish.

1 day for a halibut charter
    5 days to fish for Silvers and large Rainbows and Dolly's and maybe some Reds or pinks if they were in too.

We will mostly be fly fishing but we wouldn't mind a day of salmon fishing with drift gear.

We have been in contact with a couple Lodges and one of them said we would not be happy with the Kenai peninsula area because it's mostly glacial water and not clear streams.
    Now I'm confused. I thought the Silver salmon/ Red salmon fishing was good in that area as was the large Rainbow fishing.

Can any of you help us out on areas to go and what times to go there. The fish run charts are general but i know there are areas that may be hit or miss even during the best runs.
    We are looking for lots of action and some fish to bring home too.
    We are open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Default suggestion

If if were you, i would check with fly fishing specific charter guides. There are several on the kenai penninsula. August is the best time for silvers from what I hear. There is a silver salmon derby in Seward in August. Lots of people fly fishing for reds on the Russian river in Late June and July. The best dolly vardon and rainbow fishing is in sept using pegged eggs and glo bugs. Under the search feature on this forum, check .... reds, red salmon, silvers, silver salmon, kenai penninsula, and a few of the rivers, namely russian, kenai, kasilof and quartz creek,etc... Kasilof river is near kenai and mostly fished by driftboat. That may be of interest to you as it is a smaller river and some fly fishing guides work that river as well as the smaller streams. The kenai is very big and frequented by motorboats.The search feature here will bring up all kinds of archived postings. lots of info to be had here. I got a book a while back, "Flyfishing Alaska", and it provided me with more info than I could tell you. Great book with tons of pictures of places/fish and it breaks down the fishing by species. Under each one it give tons of species specific info, the time to go, where to go, flies to use, rods, leader, etc.... Literally all you could ask for. I suspect you could easliy find it at barnes and noble or amazon .com. I am from North Carolina but spent the last nine months in Nome,Ak where my wife and I worked as travel nurses. I was in Kotzebue from April-Dec of '04. I spent some time down on the Kenai, but dont know enough to give you specifics. Best advice I could give would be to get the forementioned book and to google search for flyfishing guides on the kenai. There are several near the Soldatna area I know for sure. Pick their minds a bit and read a few books and you and your wife should be able to plan a truly memorable trip up in Alaska. I am in Nantucket,Mass now (working) and am planning to get up to the Kenai myself for some King Salmon fishing in late may. Alaska is a special place and once you see it, it will keep calling you back. Dont take offense if alot of people dont respond to your posting. It is a tough nut to crack. I have noticed, the more specific your posting, the more likely you are to get a response. I.E. how is quartz creek for reds in august. Or what kind of flies for dollies in sept. As opposed to where to go fishing. Sounds stupid but I have noticed this over the last year that I have been posting on this forum. Lots of great guys on here with tons of knowledge. You will find this to be a very valuable resource as I have. Be sure to take advantage of the search function of old archives. If you want any info on nw alaska and the fantastic fishing for dollies and grayling up there, send me a private message and I will share more. I spent a year and a half up in nome and kotzebue and took two canoe trips (7 and 14 days each) up in the Noatak preserve on one of the noataks tributaries (about 110 miles north of Kotzebue). I am quite familiar with the fishing up there. If you are up for an unforgettable back country type of trip and have good wilderness skill, I could not reccommend a fly in canoe/raft trip enough. Absolutely beautiful country and on two trips up there (21 combined days) have not seen another person or even sign of man. I am planning to go down the Kobuk next August for trophy Sheefish. Good luck.

Danattherock,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to find the book. I see what you mean about the lack of replies.
    I also posted on the fishing section and although 70 or more people viewed my post no one replied to it.

I have done my research and I have written emails to several Lodges and Guides so I'm sure I will find a place to go.

Thanks again

don't go to the (name removed by Webmaster), their managment is terrible and the guide turnover rate is astounding.

depending on when you will be in the area I could guide you for a few days on a few honey holes that I know if you are willing to hike a bit and pay for my expences (ie gas)

So the question is when will you be here, that makes all the difference in the world on where to fish.
    Last edited by Linda Johnson; 11-20-2006 at 17:58. Reason: See rules
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    So the question is when will you be here, that makes all the difference in the world on where to fish.
    This is absolutely true. The salmon have different run times etc. etc. If you want to target a specific specie in a general area the answers are easy. If you have set times then it will make a huge difference as to what is available and where. Also if your times are set you may find it to be a frustrating trip when you get here and find that you are inbetween runs. Timing is everything if you want the best fishing adventure that includes salmon. If you are wanting to catch reds on the Kenia the best time is usually the last 2 weeks of July. At that time you can also do a float on the Kenia for rainbows and dollies. Halibut are pretty much here for the summer although tides can make a difference in how easy it is to fish without fighting the current all day. If you are wanting to fly out somewhere to fly fish the answers are totally different. As previously stated the more direct your questions are, the easier to answer. I forgot to add, fishing for reds is some of the most exciting action you will see on a fly.

What you are looking for is the 1st question to answer.

Are you looking to have a remote expirence? Are you looking for mostly rainbow fishing with the occasional salmon? Do you want numbers of fish or trophy fish?

The main question is money, how much are you willing to spend?

The Kenai can be done for far less than the lodges. But you will be fishing with a good number of people. That is not to say that the fishing will be bad, but some people don't enjoy that.

I would suggest using a guide no matter where you go, for at least a day or 2. It can be frustrating to come and watch people catch fish around you and have no luck. A guide can give you a good base to work with and ask them questions.

The Kenai area is always a safe bet. August is good for silvers, rainbows, dollies and some stragler reds. ANd you have access to 2 good halibut fishing areas.

We are just getting into fly fishing and it would be nice to have lots of action rather than size of fish.
    We would really like to flyfish for Silvers and Trout and Dollies and still have a day to fish for Halibut.

We are shooting for the middle of August and we don't mind Lodge trips. It would be nice to fish a clear stream and see all the fish.
    We are trying to stay under $3,000 per person not including our airfare.

Is the Ayakulik on Kodiak a good spot for Silvers that time of year? We have seen lots of good reports on this river.
    Would Rainbows and Dollies be available there in August?
    Thanks for your replies.

Default There You Go....

Excaliber, the above responses are from some of the good natured knowledgable folks I told you frequent this forum. There is some great info there. I just wanted to chime back in because the book I told you to buy for flyfishing Alaska was in error. The book I mentioned is a great book but is about 40% dedicated to actual flyfishing. The book I was so impressed with specific to flyfishing was "Top Water by Troy Letheran & Tony Weaver". It is about $50 but it is worth every penny. Each chapter is species specific and gives times, places, techniques, flies, rod/reel/line suggestions,etc...More info than you will likely need. On this forums outdoors store this book is sold. It will be worth your time to get this book. Considering the cost of the trip you are planning, the fifty bucks is trivial. But the knowledge is priceless.

Thanks for the tips and the offer.(ak_powder_monkey). We are going to shoot for next year if not then 08.

danattherock I will try to find that book. There are a bunch of them with nearly identical titles.
    I'll keep an eye on this site for some more awesome info.
    Thanks again Guys.

Default Fly Fishing

Excallibur:

The Kenai can be a productive river for fly fishing and there are a number of good guides who can show you where to fish and how to fish so that you have a good experience. If you're looking for a guided trip, and I also would recommend hiring a guide as that river is not easy to figure out if you're visiting the area, I would look to guides operating out of Cooper's Landing, as the upper Kenai offers more fly fishing opportunities. If you fish on the Kenai Peninsula you have good options for halibut fishing out of Seward, Deep Creek or Homer.

If you're looking for more of a remote fishing experience you're probably going to have to fly to the Bristol Bay area, where there are world-class remote fisheries. Your jumping off points for most of those trips would be either King Salmon or Dillingham. Some of those trips are going to be fairly pricey, but you'll experience fishing like few others have experienced.

I sent you a PM with a couple of recommendations of people to contact for more guiding information. Good luck, read as much as you can about the different fisheries and decide what species you want to focus on, as that can be a big factor in determining when to schedule your trip to Alaska.

Smile Information

Ex-C

Love your comment about the more post your read the more confusing it becomes. Life is full of choices.

Couple of things that may make your life easy:

First contact multiple guide services, B&B's and Lodges VFR Direct through the internet most of them have a contact us at. An example would be my web site info@bluemooserafting.com. Explain what your desires are, what your expectation will be, and what you can afford to accomplish in with your given time and expense account.

Most will be eager to respond with decent information that may help you choose what best fits yours fishing style, and comfort levels. An example of this would be; you and your wife are hard core fish all day type of people who are not affraid to fish fair or bad weather.

The Kenai does offer what you wish. and yes it can get a bit crowded however if planned correctly you can venture out on a daily basis and have outstanding fishing. You can also leave options open to travel to some Parks Hgwy system streams and fish mid week for little or next to nothin ( Silvers and Rainbows)

I agree a couple of days of guided fishing will increase your odds of cacthing what you wish however research may prove you can do just fine on your own.

Feel free to contact me at any time if you would like my 82 cents worth of data.

Take care and I hope you have a very wonderful day.

Richard M. Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

My Wife and I would like to come up for a week of Flyfishing. We were thinking of 7 nights with 6 days to fish.

1 day for a halibut charter
    5 days to fish for Silvers and large Rainbows and Dolly's and maybe some Reds or pinks if they were in too.

We will mostly be fly fishing but we wouldn't mind a day of salmon fishing with drift gear.

We have been in contact with a couple Lodges and one of them said we would not be happy with the Kenai peninsula area because it's mostly glacial water and not clear streams.
    Now I'm confused. I thought the Silver salmon/ Red salmon fishing was good in that area as was the large Rainbow fishing.

Can any of you help us out on areas to go and what times to go there. The fish run charts are general but i know there are areas that may be hit or miss even during the best runs.
    We are looking for lots of action and some fish to bring home too.
    We are open to any suggestions.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    We are just getting into fly fishing and it would be nice to have lots of action rather than size of fish.
    We would really like to flyfish for Silvers and Trout and Dollies and still have a day to fish for Halibut.

We are shooting for the middle of August and we don't mind Lodge trips. It would be nice to fish a clear stream and see all the fish.
    We are trying to stay under $3,000 per person not including our airfare.

Is the Ayakulik on Kodiak a good spot for Silvers that time of year? We have seen lots of good reports on this river.
    Would Rainbows and Dollies be available there in August?
    Thanks for your replies.
    For your time frame and budget I'd say you are in for a good time. But if you are planning on next summer, getting reservations and bookings ASAP would be advisable, the longer you wait, the narrower your options will become.

You might try and secure lodging in the Cooper Landing Area, as it would place you pretty much in the middle of all the action and allow you the options of day trips to both Homer (3 hours or so) south and Seward (1 hour roughly) north, and all points in between.

http://www.cooperlandingchamber.com/

^ Lots of good contact info in that site for lodging, etc.

If you are new to the flyfish scene (Welcome to the addiction), I would have to toss in a vote for Troutfitters. They have (and I believe still do) offered "clinics" for their clients on the basics of Salmon/Trout Fishing, and their knowledge of the Upper and Middle Kenai is excellent. If I'm not mistaken they DID offer guided walk in's on some of the "clear" rivers/creeks for a competitive price, not sure if they still do, but it is an option.
    If they don't fit your needs, another good outfit in the area is Mystic Waters, quality all the way! And I believe they now offer lodging in a cabin on Kenai Lake (Troutfitters offers lodging in their hotel as well).

http://www.aktroutfitters.com/

http://www.mysticfishing.com/

By basing in Cooper Landing you will also have the option of do it yourself trips on clear waters such as The Russian River (Silvers, Rainbow Trout, Dollie's), Quartz Creek (FAT Dollie's and Rainbow's, Salmon aren't allowed to be kept in that creek however), Ptarmigan Creek towards Seward is a NICE spot off the beaten path, and that time of year the hike to the lake should provide the chance at seeing a black (possibly Brown as well) bear or two, not too mention Blueberries EVERYwhere.

For Saltwater, the aforementioned run to Seward or Homer would be your best bet.

For Seward try:
    www.thefishhouse.net

For Homer:
    http://www.homeralaska.org/3fishing/halibut.htm

(I'm a Seward Kid, so you may wanna ask around here for recommended charters if you decide on Homer)

Another thought are Hike in's to Crescent,Bench,or Carter Lakes (Trout/Grayling depending on what lake you opt for). All located near Cooper Landing.

As usual I might add that The Highway Angler is a good resource:

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/product...way_angler.htm

And most DEFINETLY make sure you have a current copy of the ADF&G regulations:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/sf_home.cfm

I don't believe next years regs are out yet, but when they become available you can view and download them directly from that site, or just pick up a free copy at almost ANY place in Anchorage that sells fishing licenses.

Hope some of this is usefull. Have a BALL, and if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thumbs up Goodnews lodge

I am planning a trip on the Goodnews river in bristol bay (100 miles w of Dillingham) for this coming August. I had planned on going down the Kobuk for sheefish, but after getting some good info from a reliable source, changed my plans altogether. My wife and I are floating the Goodnews instead. You mentioned silvers,rainbows,and dollies. That is the Goodnews river. I have been researching and networking heavily in the last two weeks and from what I have found out, I can absolutely, positively, say that the Goodnews river would be a top choice. It has been referred to as "one of my favorite rivers", "a flyfishing gem", "one of the best flyfishing rivers in Alaska", by some very credible sources and a book that I recently bought about Rainbow trout fishing. One guide reported a client catching a 22-24 lb (37 inch) Rainbow. 10-13 lb silvers are the average and the river is known for its big runs of silvers. Lots of dollies too. One reference from the book mentions catching 50 per person/day. We are taking a floatplane out of Dillingham to Goodnews lake and floating the 60 mile river in our Ally canoe (pack canoe). We are going tentatively Aug 18-30. This should coincide with the peak of the Silver run and supposedly faboulus bow/dollie fishing at the same time. Lows over the last 6 years have been in the 40's at night and highs in the upper 50's and lower 60's. Perfect fishing weather. The only lodge there is the Goodnews Lodge. I emailed the guy and he was extremely polite and helpful. In the end we decided to do it ourselves and spend more time on the river. You could throw in a day or two charter on the Nushagak river (Dillingham) while passing through on the way to/from the Goodnews Lodge. Lots of guides there for sure and it would be pie to set that up. Rest up in Dillingham one night and fish the next day, then fly on your way. My wife and I will be doing this ourselves. You would fly from Anchorage to Dillingham and back to go to the Goodnews Lodge anyway. That would make one hell of a bookend on that trip and you could go home knowing that you fished two of Alaska's premier fishing spots. If you should want any more detailed info, I would be happy to share. I got some info from a person who has been there, one guy who guided 6 trips on that river in the 80's, and is a fly shop owner and incredible source of info, and a few books that talk about the river. I dont usually give up my best info like this, but it seems like good karma to offer what was given so freely to me by another (thanks M. Strahan).

I'm a guide on the Kenai and very familiar with the surrounding area. If you are beginning fly fishers and want to find silvers I would look further south. I'd check lodges in southeast or even southwest Alaska... the problem is that many of these lodges can be very expensive due to their remoteness. On the Kenai, you will find good trout fishing during that time of year most of the time, but silvers on the fly may be real tough (especially for beginners). There may be some good fly fishing for silvers on the Russian, but there will be crowds. There may be good fishing on the Anchor river and other southern peninsula streams, but no guarantee. The Kenai itself is pretty good that time of year for silvers, but fly fishing isn't the way to catch them. Kodiak has excellent halibut and silver fishing, but i'm not familiar with the quality of trout fishing... i've heard it can be great. If you do end up coming to the Kenai Peninsula let me know... I can give you as good a shot as anyone at finding and even providing what you want. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I am planning a trip on the Goodnews river in bristol bay (100 miles w of Dillingham) for this coming August. I had planned on going down the Kobuk for sheefish, but after getting some good info from a reliable source, changed my plans altogether. My wife and I are floating the Goodnews instead. You mentioned silvers,rainbows,and dollies. That is the Goodnews river. I have been researching and networking heavily in the last two weeks and from what I have found out, I can absolutely, positively, say that the Goodnews river would be a top choice. It has been referred to as "one of my favorite rivers", "a flyfishing gem", "one of the best flyfishing rivers in Alaska", by some very credible sources and a book that I recently bought about Rainbow trout fishing. One guide reported a client catching a 22-24 lb (37 inch) Rainbow. 10-13 lb silvers are the average and the river is known for its big runs of silvers. Lots of dollies too. One reference from the book mentions catching 50 per person/day. We are taking a floatplane out of Dillingham to Goodnews lake and floating the 60 mile river in our Ally canoe (pack canoe). We are going tentatively Aug 18-30. This should coincide with the peak of the Silver run and supposedly faboulus bow/dollie fishing at the same time. Lows over the last 6 years have been in the 40's at night and highs in the upper 50's and lower 60's. Perfect fishing weather. The only lodge there is the Goodnews Lodge. I emailed the guy and he was extremely polite and helpful. In the end we decided to do it ourselves and spend more time on the river. You could throw in a day or two charter on the Nushagak river (Dillingham) while passing through on the way to/from the Goodnews Lodge. Lots of guides there for sure and it would be pie to set that up. Rest up in Dillingham one night and fish the next day, then fly on your way. My wife and I will be doing this ourselves. You would fly from Anchorage to Dillingham and back to go to the Goodnews Lodge anyway. That would make one hell of a bookend on that trip and you could go home knowing that you fished two of Alaska's premier fishing spots. If you should want any more detailed info, I would be happy to share. I got some info from a person who has been there, one guy who guided 6 trips on that river in the 80's, and is a fly shop owner and incredible source of info, and a few books that talk about the river. I dont usually give up my best info like this, but it seems like good karma to offer what was given so freely to me by another (thanks M. Strahan).

The Goodnews freaking rules!!!!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.