Thread: Packable inflatable canoe?????

Kodiak, AK

Default Packable inflatable canoe?????

I would like to purchase something that is light enough to pack into creeks off of main river channels and oxbows for moose hunting. this will be my first inflatable purchase so all info is greatly appreciated.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Anchorage, Alaska

Default Small boats for moose hunts

You might consider the AIRE Tomcat Tandem, or possibly the AIRE Traveler. The Tomcat weighs 55# and costs about $780, with a stated load capacity of 450# (you could go a bit more if all you're doing is shuttling meat across the pond and such). The Traveler is a more substantial boat in terms of fabric quality, durability, carrying capacity and price. It weighs 70# and the stated capacity is 750#, but it will carry a lot more. The price is $2150. Both boats are available in Anchorage at Alaska Raft and Kayak. I would suggest calling the shop 1 (907) 561-7238 or 1 (800) 606-5950.

Either boat can be backpacked in to lakes, sloughs, and ponds off the main river (on float hunts), which opens a lot of country that would otherwise be essentially unavailable to you.

The Alpacka that was mentioned is a great boat for situations where you need to go ultra-light and are not planning to carry much weight. But I would be a bit nervous in that boat if I had even a single moose quarter in there with me. One hindquarter of moose can weigh well in excess of 165# and the boat is just not designed for anything like that.

Hope it helps!

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay