Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Out in Valdez

Default Eating Out in Valdez

Does anyone have any recommendation for eating out in Valdez. Will be there in about 10 days. Need to know some good spots.
    Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by docbob View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendation for eating out in Valdez. Will be there in about 10 days. Need to know some good spots.
    Thanks....
    Not worth it, too expensive...

Some good eating places are the Totem Inn for Breakfast, or Old Town Burgers for Lunch/dinner.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Food in Valdez

Expensive

I enjoyed the Fu Kung for Asian. The Totem for Breakfast!!! and the Subway is a consistant standby but they close early. No real stand outs. Halibut Bar if you like deep fried but the portions are a bit small for the price and what you might find at other fish bars.

Valdez is not what I'd consider a go-to-destination for fine dining. Totem Inn is about the best bet for breakfast that I can remember. Thereís a small hamburger joint on the right side of the highway as you come into Valdez that was pretty good last time I was there. Used to be a Halibut House but no idea if thatís still around.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Valdez is not what I'd consider a go-to-destination for fine dining. Totem Inn is about the best bet for breakfast that I can remember. Thereís a small hamburger joint on the right side of the highway as you come into Valdez that was pretty good last time I was there. Used to be a Halibut House but no idea if thatís still around.

Yeah the small red building? It's now called Old Town Burgers, still pretty good...I had them on the way out of town last Sunday.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Wink

Where's the Smiley Face? This post is a joke, right?
    If you haven't left yet, I suggest you take along some cans of beans and a couple loaves of bread. I always take my own food down that way. That way I can only blame myself for the POOR choices.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

The Halibut House has the best halibut sandwich I've ever had. Pretty much anything fried there is very good. Not necessarily healthy, but tasty. Can't wait to eat there in a couple weeks when we go for silvers. I apparently wasn't as impressed with the Totem Inn as most people. The restaurant at the Best Western is good, but expensive.

Mikes Palace is a good place to go for Pizza. They also have other good entrees to choose from, and it's right across the steet from the Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    Mikes Palace is a good place to go for Pizza. They also have other good entrees to choose from, and it's right across the steet from the Harbor.
    Mikes has been closed all season. Word is he got shut down and sold out. Maybe a local can verify.

Save yourself some money and bring some good old fashioned PB&J to eat. Not much of any good places to eat down in these parts.

geez guys this is supposed to be a fishing forem : who cares!!!

halibut house is always good for burgers and fast service, fu kung has some of the best chinese in alaska, mikes palace is closed, totem is great for breakfast but super busy during fishing times, hope that helps

I have never had a memorable meal there that I did not catch and cook myself.

Valdez seems to be one of those places where you bring as much in the cooler going in as going out

Thumbs up

Maybe the Army's crappy food has brought my standards down a bit but I do enjoy the Halibut house, Old Time Burgers, and Totem Inn while in Valdez. I have yet to hit the pizza place while it was open so can't comment on it. There is also a small sandwich shop down by the docks, can't recall the name but did hit it up one morning for breakfast burritos last summer and they sure hit the spot!

Thumbs up Pipeline Club

If it's still active, the only place in town for good steaks, etc. Beyond that, the Greek Named pizza joint down on the docks.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbpilot View Post
    Mikes has been closed all season. Word is he got shut down and sold out. Maybe a local can verify.
    I was just down there and asked about this. I was told that the owner (Mike) died a couple years back and the new owners couldn't make a go of it. So Mike's is no more.

In reply to this thread, We have always liked the Halibut House, The Totem Inn, and Ernesto's for Mexican food. But yes eating out in Valdez is pricey. However, my philosophy is that when we go on vacation, the DW does too so we eat out a lot...she deserves a vacation too!

Thanks for the replies. Certainly will not have high expectations for eating out. RV food sounds better and better!

Hope the silvers will be showing up by then...

How come no one has mentioned the Harbor Cafe? I love that place so much, it is expensive but its amazing. Everything is so good about it, besides no free refills...

Quote Originally Posted by jduvall89 View Post
    How come no one has mentioned the Harbor Cafe? I love that place so much, it is expensive but its amazing. Everything is so good about it, besides no free refills...
    Where is that located?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast