Thread: Homer Spit / Lagoon reports?

Default Homer Spit / Lagoon reports?

Hey, heading to Homer this weekend for some halibut, anyone fishing the spit / lagoon for salmon? What's the status, friends? Any silvers in there? Should I toss pixees and vibrax, or something else? Thanks!!

Default Not too much experience...

But from the little I've seen, a lot of people seem to use eggs or herring below a bobber. Some people were using spinners, but I'm not sure I saw any caught on them.

This was in years past, I don't know how it is fishing right now. I would be curious to know, though.

Default it's been picking up...

fish the inside on the incoming, the outside on the outgoing....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks! -Ken

Default homer lagoon

I was there today. There's lots of fish in there just swimming around and around. A king or two left too.

They weren't hitting on much besides eggs. I got there at 7 a.m. and in the four hours I was there I got a small silver and saw one other guy get one too. That was it.

I went back later just after high tide and saw people snagging and keeping them. I saw people using the backward rig set up with the bobber on the end to snag them too. I even heard about someone using live bait yesterday. All this is illegal stuff is very disheartening at least I didn't see them get many.

How far below the bobber are the eggs for those that are getting bit, and are they letting them sit or slowly cranking them in?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I had mine sitting just on the bottom and the other guy had his a couple of inches off the bottom. So where your bobber is depends on how deep you're fishing. We both just left them sit there in about four feet of water just maybe 10 feet off the shore; no cranking at all. I saw people doing that but they never caught anything. I never saw a fish strike at a spinner today. This is all fishing after the tide came in. Also pretty much everyone during this period between tide changes is concentrated at the end where the smolting holding area is.

Quote Originally Posted by etsirk View Post
    I was there today. There's lots of fish in there just swimming around and around. A king or two left too.

They weren't hitting on much besides eggs. I got there at 7 a.m. and in the four hours I was there I got a small silver and saw one other guy get one too. That was it.

I went back later just after high tide and saw people snagging and keeping them. I saw people using the backward rig set up with the bobber on the end to snag them too. I even heard about someone using live bait yesterday. All this is illegal stuff is very disheartening at least I didn't see them get many.
    Just one correction to this. You can use live bait in salt water. You can catch herring, keep them alive, and use them as bait, for example. Unless the lagoon has some specific regulation against live-bait, anyway, which I doubt.